First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

geogoddess

Feb 3, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #1 of 26 (16844 views)
Shortcut

Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article
Report this Post
Can't Post

A local glossy magazine, The Wasatch Journal, has a feature article on Jeff Lowe titled "Climbing Into the Cold- America's Godfather of Ice".

The cover photo for the article is a photo of Stymingersfink (Daryn Smith) ice-climbing at Stewart Falls, near Sundance, Utah, by local photographer Howie Garber. Garber also shot Sty's beautiful profile photo, in the same Stewart Falls series.

http://sgsdigital.com/pubs/wasatch/current/

click on the thumbnail tool at the bottom of the page, and go to pages 52-53 for the photos and to read the article. Enjoy!

edge

Feb 3, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #2 of 26 (16837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a beautiful pic. Thank you for sharing!

Gmburns2000

Feb 3, 2009, 9:26 PM
Post #3 of 26 (16816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's awesome. Very nice tribute, even if subtle.

Valarc

Feb 3, 2009, 9:31 PM
Post #4 of 26 (16812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the pic. Well worth going to the site to read the article, though.

(This post was edited by Valarc on Feb 3, 2009, 9:31 PM)
Attachments: Picture 1.jpg (99.2 KB)

reno

Feb 3, 2009, 9:43 PM
Post #5 of 26 (16804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very cool.

geogoddess

Feb 3, 2009, 9:51 PM
Post #6 of 26 (16796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For the record... he's soloing.

notapplicable

Feb 3, 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #7 of 26 (16787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:

What a great remembrance of Sty.

Beautiful setting, perfect conditions and he's just out there cruisin.Smile

sungam

Feb 4, 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #8 of 26 (16763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
heh, but of course.
Fantastic picture.

Partner brent_e

Feb 4, 2009, 9:52 PM
Post #9 of 26 (16698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
geogoddess wrote:
heh, but of course.
Fantastic picture.

great picture.
the article is worth reading, as well.

rockie

Feb 4, 2009, 9:56 PM
Post #10 of 26 (16693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
A local glossy magazine, The Wasatch Journal, has a feature article on Jeff Lowe titled "Climbing Into the Cold- America's Godfather of Ice".

The cover photo for the article is a photo of Stymingersfink (Daryn Smith) ice-climbing at Stewart Falls, near Sundance, Utah, by local photographer Howie Garber. Garber also shot Sty's beautiful profile photo, in the same Stewart Falls series.

http://sgsdigital.com/pubs/wasatch/current/

click on the thumbnail tool at the bottom of the page, and go to pages 52-53 for the photos and to read the article. Enjoy!

Thanks for this geododdess, Geez! I miss that guy! He was one of 'the' best on here I most liked interacting with, ongoing. Always he will be missed from my end.

kachoong

Feb 4, 2009, 11:17 PM
Post #11 of 26 (16678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is a wonderful visual memory of Sty.... and a great article too about Lowe. Was it in Outside magazine where Lowe was interviewed recently? I can't remember...

geogoddess

Feb 4, 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #12 of 26 (16671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockie] Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a day goes by- not an evening, a snowfall, a moon- that I don't feel that loss. A glass of Scotch is a fine way to say yet another good-bye, and mourn his leaving. But the whiff of it, like the smell of fresh snow, or walking out to the place we used to sit together on my back deck; even -god forbid- the sight of another man's broad back and dark hair- catch me, catch at my memory, and pull me. Sometimes I can smile, now; many times I am still stunned. Always I remember that we took care of all our business that last morning, in pure honesty and love, unknowing what was about to happen. I can only feel at peace for him.

Partner macherry

Feb 5, 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #13 of 26 (16659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
Not a day goes by- not an evening, a snowfall, a moon- that I don't feel that loss. A glass of Scotch is a fine way to say yet another good-bye, and mourn his leaving. But the whiff of it, like the smell of fresh snow, or walking out to the place we used to sit together on my back deck; even -god forbid- the sight of another man's broad back and dark hair- catch me, catch at my memory, and pull me. Sometimes I can smile, now; many times I am still stunned. Always I remember that we took care of all our business that last morning, in pure honesty and love, unknowing what was about to happen. I can only feel at peace for him.

oh sty!!!!!

why does thinking about him brings tears to my eyes. i never met him in person, but through our pm's, he felt like a close buddy!!!!!

he's missed

geogoddess

Feb 5, 2009, 1:04 AM
Post #14 of 26 (16653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
geogoddess wrote:

oh sty!!!!!

why does thinking about him brings tears to my eyes. i never met him in person, but through our pm's, he felt like a close buddy!!!!!

he's missed

i know, ma. I'm glad you felt so close to him. I'm sorry you've lost him, too.

Its just beautifully, wrenchingly heart-breaking, isn't it.

carabiner96

Feb 5, 2009, 3:23 AM
Post #15 of 26 (16648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
geogoddess wrote:

oh sty!!!!!

he's missed

Not to step on what she said, but...what she said. i was so very much looking forward to meeting him at ouray!

Geo, I'm so sad that I missed you and the rest of the crew at the fest...A huge regret on my part!

Partner macherry

Feb 5, 2009, 3:41 AM
Post #16 of 26 (16642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
macherry wrote:
geogoddess wrote:

oh sty!!!!!

he's missed

i know, ma. I'm glad you felt so close to him. I'm sorry you've lost him, too.

Its just beautifully, wrenchingly heart-breaking, isn't it.

gulp................yes!!!

edge

Feb 5, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #17 of 26 (16623 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moved with Geogoddess' permission to a more appropriate forum.

It is sometimes difficult to see the impact we make on the world until we are no longer in it. Daryn remains a shining example of someone who touched many lives.

Adk

Feb 5, 2009, 3:17 PM
Post #18 of 26 (16558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:

Holy Crap!!!!

RPI- Sty

sungam

Feb 5, 2009, 7:00 PM
Post #19 of 26 (16505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damnz, you guys are making me all misty eyed n stuff.
I finally went to an in'n'out burger. it wuz as good as he said it would be.

Darkforrest

Feb 5, 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #20 of 26 (16434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I still get misty eyed too.

durangoclimber

Feb 5, 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #21 of 26 (16412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a GREAT article. Take the time to read it. This man may not be around very much longer but he will always inspire.

kachoong

Feb 5, 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #22 of 26 (16407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [durangoclimber] Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

durangoclimber wrote:
That's a GREAT article. Take the time to read it. This man may not be around very much longer but he will always inspire.

Indeed... and I finally found that article of Jeff in August 08 of Outside... great read too.

rockie

Feb 6, 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #23 of 26 (16358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
geogoddess wrote:

oh sty!!!!!

he's missed

I feel the exact same way. On reading through his whole thread when I first found out about it on here, at first I thought it was a post from him about someone who had died, and then I noticed it was one about him.
I cried, over more than a day.
And I was looking forward to climbing with him this year at Utah, he had offered to be my guide.. What a great and huge loss.

I am going as far as to honestly say, he was THE best person on this whole forum as far as I am concerned. A good all rounder, and an amazing climber, just look at his ice climbing pics. He'd shared some with me too, and on first viewing them I just thought, wow! what a guy. The humour in him too, with that half nude one on the ice.
Those who got to climb with him should be eternally grateful.
He was one to learn from on interacting, but I've no doubt he was one to learn from when climbing with him too. Thanks again for posting those pictures again Geogoddess, and I am sorry too for your great loss, it's great you had something special with him. Treasure it all.

(This post was edited by rockie on Feb 6, 2009, 11:29 AM)

geogoddess

Feb 6, 2009, 4:21 PM
Post #24 of 26 (16312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Photo of Stymingersfink @ Jeff Lowe Article [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
durangoclimber wrote:

Indeed... and I finally found that article of Jeff in August 08 of Outside... great read too.

I remember reading that article, too. I had seen Jeff Lowe at the Ouray Ice Festival, assisted by a small group of assistants, watching the Comps on the monitor. I respect this man, and his brothers, so much, for how they were able to take a completely fresh approach to climbing and mountaineering. I worked for a mountaineering store when Lowe Alpine's gear was hitting the markets. They were pioneers and much of what they did has made an enduring impact on our "sport" (such a lame word for the world of climbing).

Sty's photo resonates with this article about Jeff, because they are both destined to take an early exit from life. Sty's favorite passion, ice climbing, never would have been possible without the technical advancements Jeff and his brothers made possible.

The Outside article spotlighted (a bit harshly) some of Jeff's conflicts, and I like how boldy he commented on that in the Wasatch Journal article: "I certainly have failed, but some of my failures have been more magnificent than some of my successes". There simply is no risk without failure. For me personally, failure has forced me to re-tool and find a new way. Jeff also acknowledges what few people know- "I'm motivated by confronting fear. Thats where you find the interface between the known and unknown. Its where all the discovery happens- self-discovery as well". To understand this is to truly have made your peace with fear. Thus even failure is possible. Thus, risk can be taken, and the consequences accepted.

Everything I have been thru in the last years has led me to this. I can now face the lion of fear, open its magnificent roaring jaws, and look inside. I can turn and face my own fears, as well as helping others to face theirs. As confident and powerful as Daryn was, he had his demons, and in our quiet times, and our angry times, and our peaceful times together, we worked thru those, right up until that very last morning, when he came to a tremendous understanding, and was completely freed. The wacky thing is that he passed away almost immediately. It was quite profound.

the_climber

Feb 11, 2009, 1:37 AM
Post #25 of 26 (16172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great pics of Sty geo.

I was just talking about him to a coworker an hour ago then I stumbled upon the thread.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook