RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

fisaacs

Nov 19, 2002, 6:10 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Treadwalls...NEAT!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering if anyone here's run across one of these curiosities. if you haven't they're basically a "bouldering treadmill" consisting of a "belt" of 1 foot wide 6 foot long boards onto which have been attached holds. the whole thing rotates on some kind of conveyor that is activated by the climber's weight. they have one at one of the gyms in KY, but I was curious if anyone's seen them and where on earth they came from...

paulc

Nov 19, 2002, 6:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Treadwalls...NEAT! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

same place as all bizarre fitness inventions: California????

Don't really know actually, but not having been on one they seem kinda silly. Isn't circuit training easy enough?

Paul

cloudbreak

Nov 19, 2002, 6:19 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are already two other threads on this:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/search.php?term=treadmill&forum=all&author=&sortby=&what=s&submit=Search

robbovius

Nov 22, 2002, 2:27 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

There's a boston sports club near where I work that has one, I dig it, even though there's absolutely NO route variety after the first fifty feet of clibing it's WAY more fun than the usual aerobic mnachines, at least if you're into climbing at all, and it gets' my heart rate up much more quickly than a treadmill or stair machine (hate those, way dull!)

you can reset the angle of the wall from about 3 deg positive thru to 3 deg negative, in order to increase intensity, and you can make the thing go so fast that it'll spit you right off the bottom.

it's not the samne challenge at all as even the gym I frequent (Gravity Rock Gym in franklin MA) but it's still orders of magnitude more fun than plodding along on a treadmill...too bad they cost ove 5 figs... only the big-buck gyms have them, and they are relatively rare. around my neck of the woods anyway.

cantclimbforsht

Apr 20, 2003, 7:00 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1758 views)
Shortcut

why do i need a topic? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

they have one of those at ESPN zone in baltimore. the line was too long when i was there but it looked really cool

alvchen

Apr 21, 2003, 2:15 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Re: why do i need a topic? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's definitely good training, since the gym I go to has put up slopers, pinches, and crimps only on that thing, no jugs in sight.

We also have one of those mechanical, electronic, "treadwalls" that rotate at different speeds and varying degrees according to a program/route you choose. I use this machine as a warmup.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook