RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

ladyscarlett

Feb 6, 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4957 views)
Shortcut

left handed/right handed cameras?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't know if this is the right section for this, but here it goes..

I'm still at the point where I'm really just playing with the camera and clicking away to document adventures of awesome climbs, body positions, and shenanigans.

I have been having the difficulty of having to belay with my right hand, leaving the left hand potentially free for the camera. The camera I use has the 'click' button (so technical, I know, sigh) on the right, really difficult to reach with the left hand without obscuring the lens (small hands).

Do I
a) suck it up and just learn how to reach the right hand button with the left hand?
b) suck it up and learn how to belay with the left hand?
c) find another option that this newbie hasn't even thought about...
d) what the hell am I doing trying to take a shot while belaying anyhow?! I should be strung up and tarred and feathered for even suggesting something so unsafe!

Just cause I don't know...

thanks in advance for the suggestions.

ls

billykent24

Feb 6, 2009, 11:29 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] left handed/right handed cameras? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You could just shoot with the camera upside down then rotate the pics 180 degrees.

popol

Feb 6, 2009, 11:59 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trying to take a picture while belaying a lead climber is a nono. Butt-shots anyway, but imho it just isn't safe.
If you try to take pictures of your second man (pictures from above climber), try a self-blocking device for belaying. that's easier to control with your left hand, and safer.

ladyscarlett

Feb 7, 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #4 of 9 (4932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [popol] left handed/right handed cameras? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

popol wrote:
Trying to take a picture while belaying a lead climber is a nono. Butt-shots anyway, but imho it just isn't safe.

Yup, haven't even thought of it belaying lead - too busy watching leader. I do take mental shots though...But good to know about the second...Just thought I've seen a few awesome pics with a belay hand off the edge...

thanks!

ls

kriso9tails

Feb 7, 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #5 of 9 (4923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would learn to belay with your left. That's how I learned to start with, but back when I worked in a climbing gym belaying little kiddies non-stop, I would periodically switch up to reduce the strain on my elbows (especially since the gym ropes were so bloody stiff). It's really not that big of a deal for tr.

I'm assuming your partners are kosher with you snapping pics while belaying, so if you get the timing down you could always lock down the rope with your left hand, snap a shot and then resume belaying with your right hand as the brake hand. If you can tether your camera to your wrist satisfactorily, if shouldn't be such a big deal... just don't lose track of belaying while trying to get the shot.

qtm

Feb 7, 2009, 2:36 AM
Post #6 of 9 (4911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For left handed pictures, I hold the camera with my palm covering the screen. Thumb on the bottom, the other fingers on top. Press the shutter with the index finger.

Takes a little practice aiming the camera, but it's digital, right? Just keep practicing.

I'm assuming it's a small camera, I don't know if it'd work with a bigger, heavier DSLR.

ptlong

Feb 7, 2009, 4:38 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
Do I
a) suck it up and just learn how to reach the right hand button with the left hand?
b) suck it up and learn how to belay with the left hand?

Both.

a. You can turn the camera sideways or upside down as was already mentioned, or hold it funny. It's a good idea to have it tethered in case you drop it or in case you NEED to drop it in a hurry.

b. You're better off knowing how to belay with either hand anyways. For some stances it's more natural to use your left hand. With a little practice you'll find that you can belay equally well with either hand.

ptlong

Feb 7, 2009, 4:48 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [popol] left handed/right handed cameras? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

popol wrote:

Can you name the first free ascent, the climber, and the photographer (also belaying)?

Partner rgold

Feb 7, 2009, 8:41 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptlong] left handed/right handed cameras? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Although it is reasonable and, in fact, a good idea to learn to belay equally well with either hand and use left-hand braking while photographing, I don't think there is any reason why you can't hold a locked-off belay with your left hand while otherwise belaying with the right.

The real trick is to have the camera easily available so that, at moments when the leader is not moving, you can lock off, transfer the belay to the left hand, get the camera and take a shot, get rid of the camera, and regrasp the belay with the right hand. The whole process takes five to ten seconds.

I carry a point-and shoot in a case with a belt loop attached to a belt dedicated to the camera. This allows the camera to be spun around the body (just like a chalk bag) and so kept out of the way of whatever you are doing when climbing. When belaying, the case is rotated to the front, unzipped, and the camera wrist strap is clipped with a toy biner to whatever over the shoulder sling is handy.

With this system (and, I'm sure, many others that folks have devised) you can grab and reholster the camera instantly. Of course, you won't get heat-of-the-action shots this way, but those will never be available to the belayer-camera person anyway.

I posted a Red Rocks TR about a year ago on Super Topo that had a lot of climbing shots taken by my partner and I using this system. As you can see, we managed to get shots even in the midst of 5.10 face climbing.

Everyone has their own tolerance for actual and perceived risks, and I'm not going to argue with anyone who isn't comfortable with such practices. Personally, I have no problem with it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook