Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
How much does your period interfere with climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

rockbabe

Sep 25, 2002, 9:25 PM
Post #1 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

How much does your period interfere with climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering, mine always comes along at the wrong time.

rockbabe

Sep 25, 2002, 10:49 PM
Post #2 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

How much does your period interfere with climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks cass, new here, didn't see it.

eowyn1025

Sep 29, 2002, 7:27 PM
Post #3 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

along the same lines:

am i the only gal out there that can't wear tampons? they hurt like the dickens and i just can't get them all the way in.

rockbabe

Sep 30, 2002, 4:44 AM
Post #4 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"am i the only gal out there that can't wear tampons? they hurt like the dickens and i just can't get them all the way in. "

Well, we know you are still a virgin.(That is not a bad thing you know. ):)

eowyn1025

Oct 1, 2002, 1:20 AM
Post #5 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i've heard that has something to do with it...

Partner missedyno

Oct 2, 2002, 3:27 AM
Post #6 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ha ha... i used tampons on the second day of my period, when i was 12 years of age. believe me, i was a virgin then, and for quite a while after that.

try the special slender ones, and be careful of the angle. could be also that they're just not for you..

climbinganne

Oct 17, 2002, 7:46 AM
Post #7 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yuppers...bad word for me...i could just have my non-friend two weeks prior...but if i am going camping the evilness arrives, like clockwork...everytime.

i have used O.B. for years and years...they leave but a tiny amt. of plastic and can easily be hidden in my pocket or climbing bra...tucked anonymously away. i usually also have a can of beer or soda in my area...where i duty...that i hang up in a tree to dispose of the "used" O.B. then at the end of the camping trip i put it in a ziplock bag and properly dispose of the whole thing when i arrive back to civilization.

maculated

Nov 2, 2002, 3:32 AM
Post #8 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As for tampon tips, avoid Tampax. Very uncomfortable compared to others if you have a problem with tampons.

As for period troubles, I ALWAYS am on the rag on big road trips. What sucks isn't the changing, but the low energy that comes with it. Sigh . . .

ejlim

Nov 8, 2002, 7:53 PM
Post #9 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just had this problem...

My doctor had told me that if you're on the pill, you can skip the last week and start the next week and you'll skip your period which supposedly is safe. I tried it, and it worked, but I gotta tell you...it was 2 weeks of PMS symptoms that I usually don't get at all...low energy, bloating (big time), so I'll only do that again if absolutely necessary. Of course, everyone's response to hormones is different so you may have no probs where I did.....

Anyway, she had mentioned that she knew some girls that did it so they only got their periods once every 3 or 4 months.....I can't imagine that, but I guess its nice to know its an option?

[ This Message was edited by: ejlim on 2002-11-15 05:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ejlim on 2002-11-15 05:59 ]

mother_sheep

Nov 19, 2002, 7:51 PM
Post #10 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back in the day when I was on the pill, I took Ortho 777/28. I took the 3 weeks worth of regular pills and then skipped the green sugar pills (or whatever they are made of) and started my new pack during the week I would normally be taking the gree pills. It works great. I only got my period once every 3 months or so. That in itself is enough to make me want to start taking them again.

farasnyl10

Nov 20, 2002, 12:14 AM
Post #11 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a friend who skips the green pills, too, but she had to switch over from ortho tri-cyclen to orthocyclen. it doesn't work with the tri-cyclens cause the levels in the pills vary too much. (just thought i'd mention that 'cause ortho tri-cyclen is usually prescribed over orthocyclen due to fewer side effects and some added benefits- so if you decide to skip the greens, make sure you're on the right pill)
about the pms, i found that being on the pill gave me really bad cramps(and all the other fun stuff) for the first few months i was on it (never had any problems with my period before-usually really light, really short, and really easy). i adjusted back to normal, but i think it's kind of a scary thing to take your body's internal clock and rhythms and control it with a pill. not really an ideal situation for me, but i've been on it for a few years (one of my aunts died about three years ago at 44 from ovarian cancer-so i went on it as a protective measure)and have gotten a lot more comfortable with it.

[ This Message was edited by: farasnyl10 on 2002-11-19 16:15 ]

Partner missedyno

Nov 20, 2002, 1:44 PM
Post #12 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i tried doing that (messing with my cycle) on tri-cyclen....

that was in august, that i was camping and missed a couple days of pills. i took them as soon as i remembered but got my period anyway. since i was just a couple weeks from my "real" period week, i decided to quit the pack then and start up a new pack the next week.

my body is no fool, she caught on.

i've had to change my pills twice now to combat my period showing up whenever the hell it wants too. now i'm on demulen which is a stronger dosage. i can feel the hormones in my body, and after all these months, i still have breakthrough bleeding.

what i say, deal with your periods as they show up. hopefully you don't hit the same problems as me, but if you can just go away for a weekend and deal with your body naturally, it just might be the best thing.

farasnyl10

Nov 20, 2002, 4:19 PM
Post #13 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had a scary thing happen the first time i got my prescription refilled (about three months later--thank-you free samples!!) i was away from home, and had had my doctor phone in my prescription to the pharmacy near me...went to go pick it up, and it was in a regular pill bottle. i was a little surprised, but it said orthocyclen(hadn't switched to the tricyclen yet) on the bottle label, the pills looked the same as usual, there was the right pill number(although no greens, but since they're sugar pills anyways, i thought they may have just left them out) and even had an information packet included in the bag, so i didn't think too much of it, just that maybe that was how refills came...so i took the pills, same as usually, but got my period within the first week of taking the pills. it was only two days, so i knocked that down to weird body chemistry, and continued on...i had an appointment with my doctor about three weeks later, and mentioned to her that my refill didn't come in the same form. she knew that wasn't right, and called the pharmacy. apparently, there had been a mix-up, and i had gotten an old lady's tranquilizers, while she got my birth control pills. the old lady saw right away that my pills weren't hers, but no one had gotten in touch with me (no wonder i needed so much coffee in the mornings!! ) kind of scary though, lots of bad things that could have happened(pregnancy, pills combined with driving or alcohol (!))- i was pretty lucky come to think of it...
i probably should have gone back to check about any questions i had, but i guess i assumed that the pharmacy knew what they were doing...

Partner missedyno

Nov 20, 2002, 8:01 PM
Post #14 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh my god! that's sucky. last time i picked up my refill they didn't listen when i said my name so they filled it for a jennifer instead of jessica... got the prescription right though, nothing interesting...

esimhs99

Nov 20, 2002, 8:23 PM
Post #15 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just try to go with the flow, if you will (bad joke, i know) usually it is not too bad for me, but it is my MOOD and my ENERGY that i have a hard time with. does anyone have suggestions on how to beat the low energy????

moey

Nov 20, 2002, 11:07 PM
Post #16 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yoga and running fix it for me. I was on the pill for years and about a year ago I went thru a "purify" and dropped them. Since then I am like clockwork and I try to deal with everything that comes with it as naturally as possible.
Someone once told me that this was (we're talking mythology here) a woman's most powerful time... (?)
Regardless, when energy gets low, bad moods and cramps set in I go for a run or stretch and stretch and stretch (alone, always) until i am a nice person again!
Listen to your body, it will tell you what it wants/needs most of the time.

russmanswife

Nov 20, 2002, 11:26 PM
Post #17 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i am a big baby when it comes to my period cramps really bad and everything else so i would much rather skip the climbing and be miserable in peace and quiet. as for the pills won't take em' they mess me up way too much they did help with the cramps and my flow but it's not worth it. my doctor neglected to tell me after i had my son that the pills would affect my milk supply i didn't find out till a couple weeks later and by then it was too late and still had problems READ THE PHAMPLETS VERY IMPORTANT!!! the doctors and pharmacists don't always tell you everything take it upon yourself to be sure and do some research.

farasnyl10

Nov 20, 2002, 11:38 PM
Post #18 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've heard that sleeping outside for extended periods of time will eventually regulate your cycle so that ovulation occurs at the same time as the full moon. since females that live together usually adjust to each others schedules, this meant that the women from nomadic tribes (gypsies, etc.etc) would all end up ovulating on the full moon. if you've heard and believe all the stuff about pheromones, it also meant that the men would start going a little nuts--thus, all the stories about the strange things that happen on full moons. kind of an interesting idea, i thought.

russmanswife

Nov 20, 2002, 11:46 PM
Post #19 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not good if you are one man in a house full of women i now feel great sympathy for my dad after dealing with three of us at once.

Partner missedyno

Nov 21, 2002, 2:09 PM
Post #20 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well i'm scheduled for my time next week....

hey has anyone here ever just taken a break from the pill? i don't want to risk pregnancy, but i also am not a fan of messing with my hormones, and gee it's all one big conspiracy from the pharmaceutical companies anyway....

moey

Nov 21, 2002, 2:56 PM
Post #21 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is something to the moon thing-- I was living in a tent for the first three months I went off the pill-- and I've been with the moon ever since! Fawkes, I only intended to take a break. I found myself in a serious relationship about 5 months into my "break" and thought I should go back on. I made it halfway through a pack before chucking them down the toilet. I never noticed how much they changed me until I was off and then back on. It messed with my body, my energy, my moods-- it just wasn't worth it to me. It changes the nature of your sex life, but sometimes that's not a bad thing.
As a warning-- when I started my "break" the first month was awful. I was a complete emotional basketcase-- but hang in there because things get normal again and you will feel like yourself!
It's a bit scary how we're all scared to go off the pill... addicts in a way...

katydid

Nov 22, 2002, 12:06 PM
Post #22 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Part of the reason I went off the pill was that I found they were messing with my antidepressants. The hormones were amping up the effect of the other med, so the week I was "off" the pill, I was falling into a deep, dark abyss.

IMO the problem with the pill is that there's no way it can mimic your own body's chemical levels; it's imposing someone else's on you. Which makes it even more unnatural than just messing with your cycle.

And, Mo, the moon is also my friend.

Kate

rockwomyn

Nov 22, 2002, 2:25 PM
Post #23 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been on and off the pill for about 10 years with a breaks here and there. I have found that as i have gotten older the effects don't seem to bother me any more. i used to have mood swings and all the other side effects but i am now on a pretty low dose and it seems to work well.
since i have become more active...exercise 5-6 times a week, with lots of running my periods actually stopped for many months. They are now back and in cycle with the full moon.
as much as they are a pain in the ass, we really have no chioce so i just try to deal with it. i feel bad for all you women that have bad cramps and other side effects.

but it never fails i always get it when i am camping out.

Question:
Does anyone else find that they are really clumsy and uncoordinated when on their period. i am constantly, tripping or dropping stuff when it comes that time. Maybe the loss of blood. i dunno!!!

Partner missedyno

Nov 22, 2002, 4:26 PM
Post #24 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool! my scheduled period is next week if it decides to show up this time. i'll watch for falling down stairs and walking into things.

maybe i could use this as an excuse for crappy footwork when climbing and knocking my knees on holds....

farasnyl10

Nov 22, 2002, 5:07 PM
Post #25 of 49 (12876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kate-
drug interactions can be really scary sometimes- and sometimes things that you might not even consider to be a 'drug' can affect the medicine, too. for example, you shouldn't eat grapefruits while taking certain medicines because your body will stop making the molecules it needs to break these medicines down and get rid of them...other things (excessive drinking or smoking, and some over the counter medicines) can speed up the breakdown of some medicines, including birth-control pills--leading to much higher failure rates...there's one class of anti-depressants (not the more commonly prescribed) called monoamine oxidase inhibitors- that can also be pretty dangerous. if you eat aged cheeses, wine, pickles, or a few other things often while on this, you could potentially die, because they all contain a substance that needs to be detoxified by monoamine oxidase- so the chemical builds up to toxic levels and death results. (i think there was a murder case at one point where this was the 'murder weapon'--the husband was on MAO's, and unaware of the connection between these foods, but the wife knew- and decided to make him a nice little meal with all these things in it.)
i guess in all, ask your doctor lots of questions, and make sure you know what sort of things you should avoid. they probably don't always catch these things, but the more you ask, the more likely that they will. i've definately learned my lesson about taking anything some in the health care profession gives or tells me for an absolute truth...(see earlier post).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook