Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ladyscarlett

Feb 13, 2009, 9:52 PM
Post #1 of 29 (3148 views)
Shortcut

Crying on climbs?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

So after reading previous threads, crying does seem to happen on the rock. And I'm not talking about from physical pain (ie broken limbs). Obviously crying is a response to some kind of emotional overload. I'm curious of other people's experiences with your own emotional overloads, as well as dealing with crying climbing partners/buddies.

My first and only (so far) cry - a weird combo of laughing while tears pour out. My first time on the "sharp" end, clipping into pre-placed gear (pink point?) on my first Yosemite crack-not a "real" lead, but a major mental breakthrough for The Newbie. Looking back, I laugh at myself for making it a Big Deal at the time, but it was a defining moment when I realized - I can do this!! I CAN lead. I CAN climb!! It was that climb, the inconceivable became plausible...it was just a matter of work and desire!

Anyone remember summit tears? Are they as distracting as "no way in hell" tears? Do they work as a cathartic release to get your climbing calm back? Do tears rack up penalty points like "take!"? Really curious about this.

Also, if this should be in the "mental training" section, I apologize.

Always curious....

ls

petsfed

Feb 13, 2009, 9:54 PM
Post #2 of 29 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've cried from shear exertion coupled with an overwhelming urge to vomit.

I thought I was crying the other day, but it was just sweat trickling down. I had been in the zone for so long at that point that I wasn't really aware of my emotional state.

wonderwoman

Feb 13, 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #3 of 29 (3123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

It has happened to me a few times, but never on lead so far. The last time I cried on a climb was a few pitches after my first trad fall. I fell on doubles, so it was a pretty soft and stretchy catch! The fall itself didn't shake me up, so I chalk it up to a delayed reaction and just being physically and emotionally exhausted.

I was all pumped out and following my husband up this overhanging 'hand jam' that I couldn't fit my fist into and it was really frustrating. I think I had to gaston most of it. I remember getting to the top and just going 'bleeeahhhhhh!!!!' Then it was over and done with in a minute or two, and I moved on to get on some more challenging stuff over the course of the climbing trip! Smile

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons

Feb 13, 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #4 of 29 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My girlfriend/climbing partner has a fear of heights. We spent a lot of time indoors before attempting anything outside.

On our our second climbing trip we went to Cathedral Ledge. We were on our first multiple pitch, Thin Air. Getting started on the third pitch, our guide was out of site. My girlfriend had some trouble getting started, a couple of moves in she freaks, the tears start coming. I think it was just emotional overload. Her fear of heights plus not being able to see the guide, she totally looses it.

I play the role of the sensitive guy. I try talking to her in a calm voice "relax, you can do it, it's easier to go up then down". More tears.

I try distracting her, "How do you think the dogs are doing at the sitter?" She responds with "Eff the dogs. If you were up here I would punch you in the face."

I decide to just shut my mouth. She spend 10 minutes crying. Takes a deep breathe and starts climbing again. It was just something she had to work through.

The end of the day she tells me it was the best vacation she ever had, and that she can't wait to get back on some rock.

granite_grrl

Feb 13, 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #5 of 29 (3049 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Crying is my emotional overload response. So, yes, I have cried a lot I guess.

Last time I cried was when I took a big fall unexpectedly last fall. One minute above the bolt, next I was 20ft below it. And yes, I cried. BUT the second time up, coming off at the same spot, well, there were less tears that time. Tongue

I have cried when I've been scared too. When recovering from my accident, dealing with a LOT of head issues. And that was a time for a LOT of tears. Things aren't like that anymore, but I won't guarantee tears won't happen at another time.

mar_leclerc

Feb 13, 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #6 of 29 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I cried when I was 11 and dropped my two way radio off the cliff we were climbing. I was scared because I knew my Dad would be mad. I also shed a tear when I got off of a huge epic only to realize I had forgotten five cams and a set of stoppers on a ledge high above. That was last year and I was 15. Ive never cried from fear of falling or anything like that...

Toast_in_the_Machine

Feb 13, 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #7 of 29 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is the same as Kuraingu Furiman. Without the guns.

esoteric1

Feb 13, 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #8 of 29 (2994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive been known to vomit atop certain pitches, but cry?

altelis

Feb 13, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #9 of 29 (2970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esoteric1] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

THERE IS NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I guess its ok in climbing Tongue

ladyscarlett

Feb 13, 2009, 11:27 PM
Post #10 of 29 (2955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esoteric1 wrote:

so I have to ask...over the side or at your feet? or were you a conscientious outdoor person and got out a blue bag? heh

maybe you didn't notice your eye leaking, cause your stomach was making more of a fuss?

thanks for sharing - now I know one more thing to look out for on summits!

ls

wonderwoman

Feb 13, 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #11 of 29 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esoteric1 wrote:

Most of the time if I'm that scared, I feel more like pooping my pants than anything else!

billl7

Feb 13, 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #12 of 29 (2947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Emotional overload? Yes. Five pitches up and falling about as many times at the crux on lead. That made up about half of the falls I've taken on lead the last four years. I was very glad my partner was up to leading the 6th pitch.

No tears yet that I recall while climbing. I can imagine it may happen yet.

Bill L

puerto

Feb 14, 2009, 1:40 AM
Post #13 of 29 (2864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only cry when I listen to the glorious 9th.

ladyscarlett

Feb 14, 2009, 1:47 AM
Post #14 of 29 (2852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [puerto] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

with you're eye pried opened, I'll bet... heh

I was taught the attitude of

we all only ever ALLOW ourselves to cry...which is fine while I'm laughing!

ls

sungam

Feb 14, 2009, 2:05 AM
Post #15 of 29 (2839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

esoteric1 wrote:
I may have posted this a few times on t3h kn0b, but fuck yes I've cried.
The Pause on the Trillichan slabs of Glen Etive, scottish highlands.
The trillichan slabs are beautiful coarse granite slabs almost perfectly smooth for 4 or 5 hundred feet with a large (15-20 foot) roof at half height, about pitch 3 or 4. I was leading pitch... 6, I think, and it started about 60 feet above the roof. I climbed up 10 feet and placed a cam in a pocket. bomber. Then I climbed 40? 50? feet and placed two very shitty nuts. This was my first "real" slab climb and I was super uncomfortable with it. About 60-80 feet later (who can tell with slab? It was a long fucking way), when I was suddenly faced with a 5.10a/b move on the "easy but slightly run out 5.99 pitch" I heard (or rather felt through the rope) those two shitty nuts lift, which caused those other two nuts to shrivel into nothingness.
I cried, hard, for a good 5 or 6 minutes.
Then I felt fine and sent that bitch. 10 feet later I got a bomber camalot and ran it out to the belay.
I still shitz my pants thinking about that fall. Would I have run out of breath screaming? How many times would I have screamed? Would I need skin graphs? fuck I'm glad I never found out.

no_email_entered

Feb 14, 2009, 2:10 AM
Post #16 of 29 (2833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sure, tears of joy after tough onsites or getting out of a particulary scary high-alt epic----

---now to hijack: whats the story with the rope in your profile pic? i'd cry if i were leading on that---

andrewG

Feb 14, 2009, 2:17 AM
Post #17 of 29 (2822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
esoteric1 wrote:
Would I need skin graphs? fuck I'm glad I never found out.

Is that some sort of scottish tattoo with an x and y axis? Tongue

Sorry, but I only read the first and last couple sentences. That post was too long, you could have just said "I got scared and cried, then I finished leading the climb."

kane_schutzman

Feb 14, 2009, 2:24 AM
Post #18 of 29 (2809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

For fucks sake you ladies um I mean men need to sack up and check to see if your nuts are still hanging. Crying is for weakass bitches and is only an accepted form of emotion when no one can see you or when you fall and break multiple bones. Even then you don't talk about it. Shit its like Im in the my dad beat my ass when I was a little kid forum. Fukin A

billl7

Feb 14, 2009, 2:33 AM
Post #19 of 29 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kane_schutzman] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kane_schutzman wrote:
For fucks sake you ladies um I mean men need to sack up and check to see if your nuts are still hanging. Crying is for weakass bitches and is only an accepted form of emotion when no one can see you or when you fall and break multiple bones. Even then you don't talk about it. Shit its like Im in the my dad beat my ass when I was a little kid forum. Fukin A
Nah. The ratio of profanity-to-tears has been at a respectable level.Smile

Geeze, sungam. That is quite a story. Makes me wonder if I'd be able to get it together after a few minutes.

(This post was edited by billl7 on Feb 14, 2009, 2:34 AM)

sungam

Feb 14, 2009, 2:58 AM
Post #20 of 29 (2775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
kane_schutzman wrote:
Nah. The ratio of profanity-to-tears has been at a respectable level.Smile

Geeze, sungam. That is quite a story. Makes me wonder if I'd be able to get it together after a few minutes.
I had an very nearly overwhelming urge to curl up in a ball and just take the fall. I'm glad I held out.

lofstromc

Feb 14, 2009, 3:59 AM
Post #21 of 29 (2735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard a story once of Tobin Sorenson crying as he was hammering in a first bolt, while doing the FA of the Edge on Tahquitz.
I don't know if its true.

brownie710

Feb 14, 2009, 2:16 PM
Post #22 of 29 (2643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been brought to tears, terrified, but never to tears. My wife did cry the first time she caught one of my lead falls. she said she thought I was going to die.

nivlac

Feb 14, 2009, 2:51 PM
Post #23 of 29 (2624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lofstromc] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lofstromc wrote:
I heard a story once of Tobin Sorenson crying as he was hammering in a first bolt, while doing the FA of the Edge on Tahquitz.
I don't know if its true.

Apparently quite true. Literally wailed for a while, although Long is a bit into hyperbole. Look for "The Edge/Turbo Flange" heading under http://stonemastergear.com/...;id=25&Itemid=33. Good read.

asshat

Feb 14, 2009, 5:20 PM
Post #24 of 29 (2564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, the Harding Slot on Astroman made weep like never before. I had to lead all the pitches, but that one was brutal for me. And yeah, for real tears, not frustration, tears.

mturner

Feb 14, 2009, 5:42 PM
Post #25 of 29 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons] Crying on climbs? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Capt_Dirty_Pantaloons wrote:
My girlfriend/climbing partner has a fear of heights. We spent a lot of time indoors before attempting anything outside.

On our our second climbing trip we went to Cathedral Ledge. We were on our first multiple pitch, Thin Air. Getting started on the third pitch, our guide was out of site. My girlfriend had some trouble getting started, a couple of moves in she freaks, the tears start coming. I think it was just emotional overload. Her fear of heights plus not being able to see the guide, she totally looses it.

I play the role of the sensitive guy. I try talking to her in a calm voice "relax, you can do it, it's easier to go up then down". More tears.

I try distracting her, "How do you think the dogs are doing at the sitter?" She responds with "Eff the dogs. If you were up here I would punch you in the face."

I decide to just shut my mouth. She spend 10 minutes crying. Takes a deep breathe and starts climbing again. It was just something she had to work through.

The end of the day she tells me it was the best vacation she ever had, and that she can't wait to get back on some rock.

Sounds a lot like my girl the first time she went outside. Glad I'm not the only one. Blush

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook