Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New Jacks guide is out !!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mountainjunkie

Feb 6, 2009, 12:38 AM
Post #1 of 18 (9623 views)
Shortcut

New Jacks guide is out !!!  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Northern: Jacks_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You can get your new Jacks Canyon Guide at
http://www.jackscanyon.com/

Joe Garcia

(This post was edited by mountainjunkie on Feb 6, 2009, 1:50 AM)

sonso45

Feb 6, 2009, 1:07 AM
Post #2 of 18 (9600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountainjunkie] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great, I'm gonna be the first on my block to buy the new guide. Maybe get some for gifts too!

I've seen it and it's a great addition and wonderful work by Deidre Burton. Kudos to a great lady.

http://jackscanyon.com

(This post was edited by sonso45 on Feb 6, 2009, 1:16 AM)

atrocket

Feb 11, 2009, 7:22 PM
Post #3 of 18 (9504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got my guide already- its out at the AZ hiking shack now. Smile

(This post was edited by atrocket on Feb 11, 2009, 7:22 PM)

anthonypmason

Feb 11, 2009, 8:03 PM
Post #4 of 18 (9488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

It takes a lot of work, to compille and sort through all of the info for a guide book and kudos on making it, how ever I have climbed at Jacks and would have wished that Jim and Diedra had not used weld shuts for their anchors, personally I would hope that you guys would re-bolt/hanger all of the rusty crappy hangers you placed, from the profits of you're 2nd ed.
I am currently working on area near me that will have some sport and trad routes I figure there is around 30-40 sporty routes and maybe 30+ trad routes, and all of my anchors/hangers will be bomber and it will not be like Jacks(jacked up canyon).
I feel it is important that we as a community do not clip into manky crappy homemade hangers, for one accident could shut down the areas we love to climb in.
Anthony

elcapinyoazz

Feb 11, 2009, 8:26 PM
Post #5 of 18 (9478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anthonypmason] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

anthonypmason wrote:
how ever I have climbed at Jacks and would have wished that Jim and Diedra had not used weld shuts for their anchors, personally I would hope that you guys would re-bolt/hanger all of the rusty crappy hangers you placed, from the profits of you're 2nd ed.
I am currently working on area near me that will have some sport and trad routes I figure there is around 30-40 sporty routes and maybe 30+ trad routes, and all of my anchors/hangers will be bomber and it will not be like Jacks(jacked up canyon).

Hey ace, how much money did you give Diedra to help out on hardware costs? My bet is not a red cent.
I'd also bet you didn't donate any bolts, hangers, drill bits, drill, batteries, time, effort or anything else.

"Profits" on a guidebook? Have you ever written and published one? Profits? Are you fucking kidding? They are lucky to recoup their cost and never do if you put any value on time involved.

If you want to upgrade the hardware there, stop bitching, get your ass out there, and start upgrading. Nobody is stopping you.

But it's much easier to complain as you take advantage of other's countless hours of hard work. Wanker.

hanginaround

Feb 11, 2009, 8:40 PM
Post #6 of 18 (9467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elcapinyoazz] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice bitch slapping!!!

no_email_entered

Feb 11, 2009, 9:21 PM
Post #7 of 18 (9449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

elcapinyoazz wrote:

"Profits" on a guidebook? Have you ever written and published one? Profits? Are you fucking kidding? They are lucky to recoup their cost and never do if you put any value on time involved.

word.

boltgrl

Feb 11, 2009, 10:33 PM
Post #8 of 18 (9419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mr. Mason: Actually, as i mention in the new guide, other than grooves worn in rap anchors of the dozen or so most toproped routes, there has not been a single failure of any of the "rusty/crappy" hangers that have taken hundreds of falls in the last 15 years.
I would be more than happy to round up a few folks and replace all the cold shuts with hangers that you provide. Please mail them to: PO Box 1002, Winslow, AZ 86047. About 2500 hangers should do it, unless you want to donate more for future new routes.
I hope your new area will be as popular as our "jacked up canyon" and that you will be kept busy replacing anchors for years to come.
As for me, I'll be kickin' it on the beach in Maui, living large on my guidebook loot.

sonso45

Feb 17, 2009, 12:26 AM
Post #9 of 18 (9339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boltgrl] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got ya, you did it for the money!

Dee, you're right, I'll meet up with you in Maui when you get done bolting that chosspile.

Anthony, chill amigo. Glad to hear you're putting some work in on rock, I'd love to see it someday.

anthonypmason

Feb 17, 2009, 3:07 AM
Post #10 of 18 (9293 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, you really bitch slapped me, who gives a fuck, you must be a sport fucking wanker, and must love clipping rusty homemade weldshuts.
Infact Rock&ice a few years back did a strength test on these type of hangers and found out they were not sufficient for most falls.Hmmm since most new climbers today go into sport climbin' as such and one is promoting an area with deadly anchors I feel it neccessary to alert others of the risk involved. You and the other noobs out there might not think twice clipping into a rusty weld shut, oh I forgot to mention 3/4 of the climbs I have climbed in jacks,the weld shuts are 1/2 worn through, hmmm noobs lowering off of weld shuts. Yea that sounds like fun clip into one these rusty 1/2 sawed through hangers you betcha.
Personally if I go back to Jack's I will bring a crow bar and a generator and a angle grinder to cut off all of the manky crap hanging, and rebolt from the ground up.
UNLIKE JIM ST. who I witnessed rap bolting many a crack in Jacks canyon.
I would love to chop the anchors at jacks but I have a project already working.
Maybe when I retire I'll go to Jacks and chopp all of the crap off those walls.
UNTIL then go fuck your self.
Sincereley,
Anthony Mason x0x0x0xasshole

lvpyne

Feb 17, 2009, 3:34 AM
Post #11 of 18 (9281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info about the new guide -- I can't wait to check it out. What a ton of work to compile and put that together!

bkboyd

Feb 17, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #12 of 18 (9274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lvpyne] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ordered mine directly from Diedre via PayPal, and she shipped it out to me quickly -- thank you!

All of the hand drawn topos from the prior editions have been replaced with black and white photos, making routefinding a lot easier. Asylum and Lost World have been added to round out the previously listed walls. Overall, 160 pages of quality info for $22 is hard to beat.

jt512

Feb 17, 2009, 4:27 AM
Post #13 of 18 (9261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bkboyd] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bkboyd wrote:
Ordered mine directly from Diedre via PayPal, and she shipped it out to me quickly -- thank you!

All of the hand drawn topos from the prior editions have been replaced with black and white photos, making routefinding a lot easier. Asylum and Lost World have been added to round out the previously listed walls. Overall, 160 pages of quality info for $22 is hard to beat.

A guidebook to the Asylum? Hmmm....

Jay

elcapinyoazz

Feb 17, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #14 of 18 (9223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anthonypmason wrote:
one is promoting an area with deadly anchors

Damn. Bodies must be stacked up like cordwood at the base considering how much traffic the place gets. How many corpses did you carry out last time you were at Jack's?

anthonypmason wrote:
You and the other noobs out there

Hahaha. I laugh robustly.

(This post was edited by elcapinyoazz on Feb 17, 2009, 4:29 PM)

no_email_entered

Feb 18, 2009, 4:33 PM
Post #15 of 18 (9172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anthonypmason wrote:
Wow, you really bitch slapped me, who gives a fuck, you must be a sport fucking wanker, and must love clipping rusty homemade weldshuts.
Infact Rock&ice a few years back did a strength test on these type of hangers and found out they were not sufficient for most falls.Hmmm since most new climbers today go into sport climbin' as such and one is promoting an area with deadly anchors I feel it neccessary to alert others of the risk involved. You and the other noobs out there might not think twice clipping into a rusty weld shut, oh I forgot to mention 3/4 of the climbs I have climbed in jacks,the weld shuts are 1/2 worn through, hmmm noobs lowering off of weld shuts. Yea that sounds like fun clip into one these rusty 1/2 sawed through hangers you betcha.
Personally if I go back to Jack's I will bring a crow bar and a generator and a angle grinder to cut off all of the manky crap hanging, and rebolt from the ground up.
UNLIKE JIM ST. who I witnessed rap bolting many a crack in Jacks canyon.
I would love to chop the anchors at jacks but I have a project already working.
Maybe when I retire I'll go to Jacks and chopp all of the crap off those walls.
UNTIL then go fuck your self.
Sincereley,
Anthony Mason x0x0x0xasshole

just felt like quotin this----

neotheclimber

Feb 18, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #16 of 18 (9156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget that you can pick up the Guide at AZ Cliff Hanger inside of the PRG (Phoenix Rock Gym)

BTW I love the guide!

adam14113

Mar 22, 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #17 of 18 (8953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neotheclimber] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PRG is the best!

Bolter

Mar 22, 2009, 12:48 AM
Post #18 of 18 (8944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boltgrl] New Jacks guide is out !!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Putting new hangers at Jacks will suck too. Those shuts all have a drilled groove that have them a bit counter sunk but keeps them from spinning. I have a few shuts and a wrench and just replace the few that need it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook