RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

shawkshaw

Nov 20, 2002, 6:02 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1631 views)
Shortcut

Bolt strength testing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi,
just wondering if anyone knows some sites which may have some info on bolt strength testing. i'm mainly interested in the strength of bolts once they have been placed. so the sort of thing im after is tests carried out on placed bolts (either glueins or not) that have involved pulling the bolts out of thier placements or by shear loading. i know there is a south african one but was ondering id anyone knew of others
steve

jmlangford

Nov 20, 2002, 6:19 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1631 views)
Shortcut

Bolt strength testing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right here is all the info you need.

ljthawk

Dec 2, 2002, 3:08 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1631 views)
Shortcut

Bolt strength testing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That chart only gives the strengths as specified by the manufacturer. It refers to the strengths being in 2000 & 4000 PSI concrete, not real rock. In the article they mention some testing strengths, but don't give any analysis like the testing in Africa. He also makes no reference to embed depth, an important property of the bolt with respect to strength.

To read the complete article, go to

http://www.safeclimbing.org/info.html

Overall, there is a lack of testing with respect to bolts as climbing / rigging (caving) anchors. The problem is allot of it depends on the rock which differs for each location. I would love to do some testing, but lack of access to equipment, time, and funds make it near to impossible.

L.J.

P.S. How far are you from Tasmania? I know a caver from there (Jeff Butt) who did some axial testing on glue in P hangers in limestone. He wrote some nice articles on it. Let me know and I can give you his contact info. Feel free to e-mail me.

[ This Message was edited by: ljthawk on 2002-12-02 04:33 ]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook