Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

mem_drifter

Feb 24, 2009, 12:08 AM
Post #1 of 52 (6984 views)
Shortcut

a few concerns
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Im new to sport climbing and weigh around 300lbs. Im just a big guy not really that fat haha. What im wondering if i get into sport climbing and take a good fall do i need to worry about anything because of my weight?

I did try searching on the site but couldn't find anything.

krosbakken

Feb 24, 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #2 of 52 (6967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mem_drifter] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The only thing I would be concerned about is having a belayer that is a lot small than you in weight.

So...make sure you don't out weight your belayer by a huge amout or your belayer will be pulled into the first bolt if you take a fall, and that could result in some problems.

just my two cents.

mem_drifter

Feb 24, 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #3 of 52 (6961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krosbakken] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive talked about anchoring one of my friends to the ground already and he agreed with that idea Wink

coastal_climber

Feb 24, 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #4 of 52 (6951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mem_drifter wrote:
ive talked about anchoring one of my friends to the ground already and he agreed with that idea Wink

Sounds good. Might want to get a thicker rope as well, they hold a higher number of UIAA falls.

(This post was edited by coastal_climber on Feb 24, 2009, 12:34 AM)

krosbakken

Feb 24, 2009, 12:37 AM
Post #5 of 52 (6948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, this is a good idea for sure. But with this set up the fall will be harder on both of you because your belayer doesn't move when you fall. (if this makes sense)

And it might be hard for you belayer to lock you off in a fall because of your weight. (I might be incorrect on all of this, but these are things that pop into my head.)

Can someone that knows what they are talking about give this man some tips? Wink

Just my thoughts. Smile

mem_drifter

Feb 24, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #6 of 52 (6941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

all of your tips seem like some very good considerations. As long as everyone thinks the bolts will stay in the wall and the rope will hold it will give a little piece of mind.

johnwesely

Feb 24, 2009, 12:41 AM
Post #7 of 52 (6937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have your belayer use a Gri-Gri. You will never get a hard catch because of your weight.

kriso9tails

Feb 24, 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #8 of 52 (6932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mem_drifter wrote:

I don't tend to agree with that idea. It just makes it harder to belay. When I started leading sport I was a lanky kid weighing perhaps a hundred and ten pounds. Everyone outweighed me by a lot so I learned to belay heavier people pretty quick.

When I weighed around a hundred and sixty to a hundred and seventy, I had belayed (and caught decent falls) for people that outweighed be by over a hundred pounds. Did I get yanked up? Yeah, sure, but what does that actually matter? I pretty much always end up in the air catching a big fall, even when the climber weighs less than me.

USnavy

Feb 24, 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #9 of 52 (6931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

As with others, I would recommend a UIAA "multi-drop" certified 10.5 mm rope with a durable sheath and a GriGri for your belayer. I would also recommend quickdraws with a strong open gate strength for the first few bolts. Something that holds 9 kN or higher. The Stubi Supreme and Wild Country Helium are good options.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 24, 2009, 12:48 AM)

andrewG

Feb 24, 2009, 1:17 AM
Post #10 of 52 (6902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I would also recommend quickdraws with a strong open gate strength for the first few bolts.

Why? If you are that concerned just put some lockers on a couple of your draws. Just curious. I've never heard of someone buying gear for it's improper use strength ratings.

coastal_climber

Feb 24, 2009, 1:27 AM
Post #11 of 52 (6893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewG] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewG wrote:
USnavy wrote:
I would also recommend quickdraws with a strong open gate strength for the first few bolts.

Why? If you are that concerned just put some lockers on a couple of your draws. Just curious. I've never heard of someone buying gear for it's improper use strength ratings.

Gate flutter.

USnavy

Feb 24, 2009, 1:59 AM
Post #12 of 52 (6867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andrewG] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andrewG wrote:
USnavy wrote:

As others said, because of gate flutter. If he takes a hard fall at the first bolt on some biner with a 7 kN open gate strength, and the gate opens during the fall, it’s over. Impact force skyrockets with weight. That’s why ropes tested at 55 kg hold exponentially more falls then when tested at 80 kg.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 24, 2009, 2:00 AM)

andrewG

Feb 24, 2009, 3:28 AM
Post #13 of 52 (6821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a forum that I read a while back.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...te%20flutter;#410962

This is from BD http://www.bdel.com/...ta/qc_kp_archive.php (towards the bottom under "testing a worn biner")
In reply to:
Partially due to the fact that the test was done with this biner as the only piece of protection in the system (as it would be on the route if someone fell just past the first bolt), there was what we call the whiplash effect, or gate flutter. As the load is impacted, the gate actually flutters open slightly, but at the right time, and just enough that really you are experiencing an open gate situation—this allowed the basket of the gate to bend slightly at the spine end (where the rope groove is). The gate flutter situation may have been more likely because the spring tension on this gate was rather weak and the rope groove of the biner reduced the cross section enough near the spine to allow the basket to deflect more (than if it wasn't rope-worn) during the gate flutter scenario.

I guess from these two things I came to the conclusion that gate flutter is generally not a realistic phenomenon. I also find it hard to believe that gate flutter would cause the gate to open enough to cause the tooth or keylock to not engage at all. Personally none of my biners are grooved, especially not like the one in the BD study (and their gate tensions are not apparently weak). I haven't seen the video referenced in the RC.com thread either.

On the other hand I weigh essentially half of what the OP does. I guess the moral of the story is do what makes you feel safe after doing your own research.

dingus

Feb 24, 2009, 3:41 AM
Post #14 of 52 (6804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

krosbakken wrote:
The only thing I would be concerned about is having a belayer that is a lot small than you in weight.

So...make sure you don't out weight your belayer by a huge amout or your belayer will be pulled into the first bolt if you take a fall, and that could result in some problems.

just my two cents.

Just how many 300 lb climbers do you think are out there?

DMT

k.l.k

Feb 24, 2009, 4:41 AM
Post #15 of 52 (6774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are really 3bills, your chance of getting up any steep sport route is just not that good.

You're going to be slab climbing for awhile. But that's a good thing-- you'll learn how to use your feet.

As for belaying, even top ropes in the gym will be challenging for most belayers. This is not a sport for really big guys. At 6'2" and 180 I routinely hulk over folks at the crag. There are exceptions, but they are exceptions.

suilenroc

Feb 24, 2009, 4:44 AM
Post #16 of 52 (6773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did a little searching and couldn't find the answer...

The NFPA consider's a 2 person load limit to be 600lbs...

What does the UIAA consider a 1 person load limit is?

I weigh around 185lbs, and have always figured that to be on the heavier side... can't imagine being 300lbs...

USnavy

Feb 24, 2009, 5:03 AM
Post #17 of 52 (6759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:

I weigh around 185lbs, and have always figured that to be on the heavier side... can't imagine being 300lbs...

UIAA does not specify a specific "load limit". However their specifications are built around the assumption that the climber plus his / her gear weighs 80kg.

coastal_climber

Feb 24, 2009, 5:10 AM
Post #18 of 52 (6747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Mem Drifter, this could be interesting: http://en.petzl.com/...te=14&Conseil=56

suilenroc

Feb 24, 2009, 5:11 AM
Post #19 of 52 (6746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
suilenroc wrote:

UIAA does not specify a specific "load limit". However their specifications are built around the assumption that the climber plus his / her gear weighs 80kg.

Ahh, I see...I can totally understand why they do not specify a load limit... Thanks!

So, a 300lbs climber is near twice the weight (85%?) that the gear was tested for.?.?.?

I'd be concerned... Not really with TRing, with leading for sure!

USnavy

Feb 24, 2009, 5:22 AM
Post #20 of 52 (6734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
USnavy wrote:
suilenroc wrote:

Ahh, I see...I can totally understand why they do not specify a load limit... Thanks!

So, a 300lbs climber is near twice the weight (85%?) that the gear was tested for.?.?.?

The equipment is designed in mind to hold a factor two fall with a 80 kg person. A 150 kg person taking a factor .75 fall would produce less force then a 80 kg person taking a factor two fall. The quickdraws you use will hold a minimal of 22 kN in the close gate position and UIAA certified hangers hold at least 25 kN. So would not worry too much about it. I would choose a multi-drop certified rope so it lasts a reasonable amount of time.

coastal_climber

Feb 24, 2009, 5:32 AM
Post #21 of 52 (6722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
USnavy wrote:
suilenroc wrote:

The equipment is designed in mind to hold a factor two fall with a 80 kg person. A 150 kg person taking a factor .75 fall would produce less force then a 80 kg person taking a factor two fall. The quickdraws you use will hold a minimal of 22 kN in the close gate position and UIAA certified hangers hold at least 25 kN. So would not worry too much about it. I would choose a multi-drop certified rope so it lasts a reasonable amount of time.

I think its fall factor of 1.7 but its still way over what would normally occur in most climbing situations.

USnavy

Feb 24, 2009, 5:42 AM
Post #22 of 52 (6712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
USnavy wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
USnavy wrote:
suilenroc wrote:

I think its fall factor of 1.7 but its still way over what would normally occur in most climbing situations.

Its a factor 1.77 fall however the hangers and quickdraws are still designed to hold a factor 2 fall.

coastal_climber

Feb 24, 2009, 5:46 AM
Post #23 of 52 (6706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, but that's what ropes are tested to. It comes down to the weakest link.

suilenroc

Feb 24, 2009, 6:17 AM
Post #24 of 52 (6694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] a few concerns [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:

Probably the quality of rock or the person who put the bolts in...

coastal_climber

Feb 24, 2009, 6:19 AM
Post #25 of 52 (6690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:

Probably the quality of rock or the person who put the bolts in...

One of many risks we take.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook