RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

tongueinbarbie

Mar 1, 2009, 6:53 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2351 views)
Shortcut

ANOTHER NON CLIMBING PHOTOGRAPHY QUESTION : MULTIPLE WEBHOSTS FOR ONE WEBSITE
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY WEBHOST AND WANTED FEEDBACK ON WHETHER IT WORKS TO USE THE SAME WEBSITE DOMAIN NAME ON TWO DIFFERENT WEBHOSTING SITES? THE ONE I STARTED WITH DISCONTINUED HELP WITH USING META TAGS AND SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION, SO I FINALLY GOT A STRAIGHT ANSWER ON WHERE IT WENT TO ON MY WEBHOSTING SITE, AS I HAD BEEN TIMED OUT WHILE PUTTING META TAGS TOGETHER AND I FIGURED I WOULD COME BACK TO IT LATER. NOW I AM PAYING TO USE A SEARCH ENGINE SITE. I WANTED TO KNOW IF I CAN USE THE SAME DOMAIN NAME WITH ANOTHER WEBHOST, WHETHER IT WILL CREATE CONFUSION OR A LOWER RANKING WITH SEARCH ENGINES OR IF IT IS A GOOD IDEA CONSIDERING THE ECONOMIC TIMES TO HAVE MY SITE ON TWO DIFFERENT HOSTS? I DON'T LIKE THE IDEA OF A SEPERATE EXTENSION FOR THE OTHER WEBHOST. THAT WOULD BE AN EASY ANSWER AND NOT WHAT I AM ASKING.

macblaze

Mar 1, 2009, 8:09 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tongueinbarbie] ANOTHER NON CLIMBING PHOTOGRAPHY QUESTION : MULTIPLE WEBHOSTS FOR ONE WEBSITE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DO NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS!

A domain name points to an IP through the use of DNS records. If you DNS says send www.bob.com to 192.168.1.10 and mail.bob.com to 192.168.1.11 then that's where people will go. Unfortunately bob.com can only go to one place.

If you move it from one host to another then the viewer won't even know the difference.

You could do a redirect and forward anything going to bob.com/mike.htm to automatically forward you to another webhost, but it would not be bob.com anymore...

I have no idea if this answers your question because, frankly, it is almost impossible to read a long paragraph written in all caps... really... don't

tongueinbarbie

Mar 1, 2009, 9:42 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macblaze] ANOTHER NON CLIMBING PHOTOGRAPHY QUESTION : MULTIPLE WEBHOSTS FOR ONE WEBSITE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I type in all caps when I am so far over my head technically that I blow off my wife and anything sane, including caps.

USnavy

Mar 10, 2009, 8:05 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tongueinbarbie] ANOTHER NON CLIMBING PHOTOGRAPHY QUESTION : MULTIPLE WEBHOSTS FOR ONE WEBSITE [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You cannot use the same domain on two hosting sites however you can use two domains on one hosting site. It’s generally referred to as domain forwarding, permanent redirect (301) or one of many other terms. For example, both www.rockclimbinghawaii.com and www.climbaloha.com point to the same IP address.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Mar 10, 2009, 8:06 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook