RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

eclarke98

Nov 21, 2002, 6:23 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Adjustable Daisy Chains... Metolius/FISH/Yates/Pika
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've read the posts regarding the Metolius vs. the Yates adjustable daisys with the main difference being the buckles, but has anyone used the FISH asjustible daisy chain? How does it compare to the two others? Thanks.

Oh, I happened to notice that Pika has an adjustable daisy too, does anyone have thoughts about that one?

[ This Message was edited by: eclarke98 on 2002-11-23 16:15 ]

copperhead

Dec 20, 2002, 6:46 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Adjustable Daisy Chains... Metolius/FISH/Yates/Pika [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
...and then the "adjustable buckle" cracked and he took a 50 foot fall.

Yeah, I was wondering about those things. It seems like the buckle might be the weak link in the chain. Can you bounce-test on an adjustable daisy or will the buckle slip? I guess you can't take a daisy fall on them...? How about the Yates ones with a built-in screamer... do they have a stronger buckle? Does the length of the screamer add to the minimum length of the daisy?

Pete?

mrhardgrit

Dec 20, 2002, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Metolius Adjustables and they are fine to bounce test - I have never had them slip me at all. I does have to be said that the cord section of the daisies are getting pretty furry and this may eventually effect the slippage??

No idea on the falls - never fallen on an adjustable! You would have to hope that they have been fairly extensively tested in this area as it's going to happen eventually...

dsafanda

Dec 20, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still trying to decide if adjustable daisies are worth the bother. So far I really like them. I prefer the Yates because I think it is much easier to release the buckle after cinching down. If you've pulled in close to a piece using an adjustable daisy you need to remeber to release it in oder to ease on to a new placement. It's not quite as easy as just unhooking a fifi but you get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Bounce testing is no problem.

passthepitonspete

Dec 20, 2002, 11:01 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bounce testing is no problem initially, while your buckles are new, and before they start to lose their grip.

And YES!

Adjustable daisies are worth it!

But guys, I'll try not to flog a dead horse. I really thought we had this cleared up some time ago.

Between the Yates and the Metolius, there is NO CONTEST.

Buy Metolius.

Buckles like what Yates use can and will slip over time.

The D-ring assembly on the Metolius is both easy to operate [including]easy to release!] and works fine on aggressive bounce testing.

You are crazy to venture on a big wall without these things! The are ETS!

I have not used or seen Pika or Fish, but if either has buckles, I would stay away.

You can read all about these things in Ask Dr. Piton ... about moving systems. This Dr. Piton SIGNATURE POST has over five-thousand hits!

It's all there......

Cheers,

The Doc

P.S. I should mention that as a big wall soloist, I am NEVER tied into my rope, and consequently I frequently am fastened to my belay anchors with nothing more than my Metolius Adjustable Daisies.

[Think about it ... when you solo, you are attached to the lead rope with only your Grigri or similar device. Sure, you always have a backup knot when on lead or while cleaning, but you're never tied into the end of the rope like you do with a partner. The concept of not being tied into the end of your rope is something that initially took me a bit of getting around! Meaning it was scary and freaky. But when crawling round belay anchors, I'm not on belay til I actually start to lead, hence I'm only attached with my daisies.]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook