RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

brettf

Mar 7, 2009, 12:26 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Can't find big enough shoes?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all..

I tried indoor climbing a month ago and really enjoyed it. I'd like to go more often and so wanted to pick up a pair of shoes so I can stop paying for rentals..

The well-worn rentals are 13's and fit tight, but I wear them for 2-3 hours of mucking about and not be in any serious pain at the end of the night..

Ive run into a problem though, trying to find any shoes that come close to fitting..

I wear a 12-13 runner/street shoe normally but all the 13's Ive tried in the stores (Mountain Equipment Co-op and a couple local places) end up balling my big toe up like a fist in the end of the shoe..

Im really not crazy about the idea of dropping $100 on a pair of shoes that cause lots of pain to wear for 5 mins in the store standing still, never mind climbing..

Any suggestions as to brand or model that fit larger than others?

thanks,

Brett
Victoria, BC, Canada

k.l.k

Mar 7, 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1280 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brettf] Can't find big enough shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Evolv has models that run to 13.5. I know that you can send them a tracing and they will work with you. I don't wear them myself.

Acopa Aztec is a high-volume shoe that comes in sizes up to 15. Acopa also has other models that come in 13 or so, and they will also work with you over the phone and from your foot tracings.

iamthewallress

Mar 7, 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brettf wrote:
I wear a 12-13 runner/street shoe normally but all the 13's Ive tried in the stores (Mountain Equipment Co-op and a couple local places) end up balling my big toe up like a fist in the end of the shoe..

In addition to the bigger shoe suggestions...I think a lot of folks end up feeling bad about dropping $100 on shoes that seem too big after they've climbed a bit and want better performance on steep gym routes where between route slipper removal is NBD.

Adk

Mar 7, 2009, 2:25 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My son wears a size 12 street shoe and sports a 5.10 coyote on his foot for climbing. I think he wishes he bought a smaller size because they do stretch. I think his big toe is as long as my index finger. He has no toe problems though.
Sorry about your huge feet.

tytonic

Mar 8, 2009, 7:44 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1209 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here you go. Mad Rock has the Flash in 14 and 15

rhythm164

Mar 8, 2009, 1:17 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

here:

actually, they'd probably out-perform those Mad Rocks...

sungam

Mar 9, 2009, 4:25 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Madrock has several good shoes in thei outlet right now that are being stocked in large sizes. Good prices all round, and other then the flash, which didn't fit my foot terribly well, I find Mad Rock shoes quite nice really. I wear the new mugans.

Edit to add:
Madrock Outlet

(This post was edited by sungam on Mar 9, 2009, 4:27 AM)

brettf

Mar 12, 2009, 4:23 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1101 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input everyone.. Im headed out to Ottawa tomorrow, will poke around out there and hopefully find something in the stores.. trying to avoid messing with buying 'em online just yet.. though the places that'll work with you from foot tracings etc.. sounds pretty good..

rhythym - thanks for the suggestion.. I use those for street shoes actually, so have several pairs around.. The once or twice Ive tried them in the gym though.. I found I had problems getting onto the smaller footholds..

.. and the hot women complained to security that I was creepin them out..

so.. yeah.

cheers,

Brett

sungam

Mar 12, 2009, 6:56 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought a wrong size from madrock, unfortunitly. The problem with buying them online of course.
I mailed them back and a new pair in the right size is coming my way, for only the cost of shipping.

sapphirekishi

Mar 12, 2009, 3:29 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Please have a look at www.nikes-jordan.com
I am sure you must find your expections.

brettf

Mar 12, 2009, 5:12 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sapphirekishi] Can't find big enough shoes? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, but I am sure I dont like your spam garbage. May I suggest you hire an editor for your website as the english is very very poor.

"Recently, some stuff who has been dismissed by our company do some bad deeds for some customers. They are making use of the customer information and company website they had to cheat the customer. On certain extent, their acts do harm for the customers’possession. And our company’s reputation also has some side effect for this. Our company has punished those stuffs. In order to protect customers’benefit and possession, our company declares that please put order on our original website www.nikes-jordan.com, and pay attention to the payment information and contact address when you make the payment.
Thanks for your support to our company. Hope we can be good friends. In the future, we will try our best to offer the best service for you.
"

justinboening

Mar 13, 2009, 7:11 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

you might find this an interesting read:

"Obviously, a climbing shoe accommodates the foot in a "crunched" climbing position thereby causing a dilemma for the climbing shoemaker. Use the "normal" size comparison chart or assign a larger number that "represents" one's street size. I have chosen the latter because I feel it makes it easier to identify one's climbing shoe size."

It's taken from the Acopa website on shoe sizing. What I'm saying is that your toes should be bent a bit if you're looking for performance. If comfort is what you're looking for, find something that fits. Buying an ill-fitting shoe two sizes too big is not the answer to your problem here. Trace your feet and send it into evolv. See what you get. I guarantee the shoes they send you will fit like the ones you've been complaining don't fit. They're supposed to be tight!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook