RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

derk424

Mar 9, 2009, 5:57 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1450 views)
Shortcut

Low impact training to help during tendonitis recovery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone, i've been climbing for the last year and recently have been experiencing some nasty pains in my left elbow. Upon further inspection, ie going to a doctor, i was told I had the beginnings of radial tendinitis.
I decided to take the next few weeks off, but i wanted to know if there was any form of strength training i could do to maintain some power for when i am able to climb again? Like grip exercises or dead hangs? Any advice would help.
Currently im doing yoga three times a week to try and help recovery and some cardio and abs circuits. O and i recently picked up a gyroflex as well.

Thanks in advance

Grizvok

Mar 9, 2009, 7:38 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1385 views)
Shortcut

Re: [derk424] Low impact training to help during tendonitis recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

He seriously said you had RADIAL tendinitis? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't multiple muscles (and tendons of course) actually connect to the radius?

Can you be more specific? If you knew what muscle(s) were getting inflamed there are certainly resistance exercises that help recovery immensely. The best recovery method would be some rest, certain exercises, and some very reduced intensity/volume of climbing.

derk424

Mar 9, 2009, 8:28 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Grizvok] Low impact training to help during tendonitis recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah he said radial tendinitis down my arm. He applied pressure to both sides of my elbow resulting in me yelling out from pain. The actual tendons themselves I cannot name.

Grizvok

Mar 9, 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [derk424] Low impact training to help during tendonitis recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

derk424 wrote:
Yeah he said radial tendinitis down my arm. He applied pressure to both sides of my elbow resulting in me yelling out from pain. The actual tendons themselves I cannot name.

Well that's a problem now isn't it. You are going to need somebody like onceahardman (or someone smart) to really be able to make a decent guess as to what exactly is wrong.

What exactly does "both sides" of your elbow mean, once again you need to be more specific. Are you talking medial and lateral or anterior and posterior?

onceahardman

Mar 9, 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Grizvok] Low impact training to help during tendonitis recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You are going to need somebody like onceahardman (or someone smart)

Yeah...either me, or someone smart.Smile

Anyway, to the OP, is it possible the doc said, "lateral tendinitis", rather than "radial"?

Radial tendinitis would be a very unusual term to use. Particularly, since there is no such thing.

Perhaps, if you heard correctly, he or she meant elbow tendinitis on the radial side, which would be lateral epicondylitis anyway. It would tend to be sensitive to external pressure.

There are several different causes and cures. Some believe it is never cured.

A fairly quick improvement can often be realized by using a tennis elbow brace. A quick google search will find thousands of people who will sell you one.

tobym

Mar 10, 2009, 5:08 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Low impact training to help during tendonitis recovery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm someone smart, and I agree with onceahardman, Smile,

Dr m.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook