RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

justsaynototake

Mar 11, 2009, 1:52 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1925 views)
Shortcut

Potrero Chico and the crazy "unrest"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anybody know what the deal is with Mexico these days? With all of this drug cartel business I wasn't sure how safe it was to go to Potrero Chico and Monterey. Has anyone been there recently that would like to share their experience with this?

Thanks

mojomonkey

Mar 11, 2009, 2:05 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justsaynototake] Potrero Chico and the crazy "unrest" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there the last week in February and it felt no different to me than the previous year. It was pretty isolated from the populated areas - only a quick period in the Monterrey airport before my ride (arranged through Homero) picked us up when we arrived and dropped us off when we left.

The locals were as friendly as always and we spent a rest day in Hidalgo at the market and later at the hot springs.

dlintz

Mar 11, 2009, 2:24 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there last year and it was all fine. EPC appears somewhat insulated but that's not to say things can't happen.

Personally if I went back I would skip the drive. I'd fly to Monterrey and then arrange for a ride or take a local bus. Maybe I'm a little paranoid but I'd prefer not to deal with the border crossing/border towns.

d.

atg200

Mar 11, 2009, 2:31 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Potrero Chico and the crazy "unrest" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The violence is almost completely limited to drug people and police/military - tourists and normal people are more or less unaffected. I drove through nearly every state in Mexico last year and saw or heard nothing out of the ordinary except for loads of military checkpoints looking for drugs. Crossing the border is not a big deal either. You really have to go looking for trouble to find it.

Parkerkat

Mar 11, 2009, 2:34 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HAhaha..almost the same as the guy above me...I was there between the 7th and 14th of Feb. It was my first time and all I can say is whatever drug wars are happening really aren't going on in the Potrero. The town is dying due to lost concrete manufaturing contracts from the US, so they seem to freaking love us climbers since we're mostly toting american cash around and buying one super-buger per peson (jsut ask about super-buger when you get there lol)

Just stay away from drugs completely..there are a few dudes driving around looking to sell, but just stay away and then there is no reason for trouble. The market is safe, the campsites are gold and the climbing is plentiful!!! ...more then enough to go cragging for years!

..only thing I'd say is that the closer to summer/spring, the hotter its gonna be so get going and keep an eye out for the shady canyons!

...also try Estrallita... super fun and easy 12 pitch!

Hope this helps! ..and one more thing... Potrero Crew is great for a pickup (google it) and make sure you Stay at Posadas.. some people will say homeros but when I was there... like 50 people staying at Posadas...4 people at homeros..and you could tell they regretted the decision (unless you happen to like solitude)....

Have a great time!!!!

el_layclimber

Mar 11, 2009, 3:17 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a travel warning from the Department of Being Vewy Vewy Afwaid.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

I was in Chiapas back in 1997 at the height of the Zapatista stuff, and saw nothing. That doesn't mean it was smart for me to do or people's safety is guaranteed now. Traveling in sketchy countries is like rock climbing. You need to keep aware, and even if you do everything right you can still end up dead.

rogue10186

Mar 12, 2009, 4:00 AM
Post #7 of 13 (1648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heard from a friend of mine that the Monterry/ Portero area is pretty ok right now, if you drive and pass through Laredo, just time it to go through in the early morning, like 7:30~8ish, and you'll be fine.

8flood8

Mar 12, 2009, 4:54 AM
Post #8 of 13 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rogue10186] Potrero Chico and the crazy "unrest" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you are worried about laredo, just cross over at the columbia bridge. there isn't anyone around there who will be doing anything scary (except holding a machine gun). you won't see anyone but a few military and border patrol.

just make sure you arrive before 10:30 pm so that the bridge is still open.

we drove down in 3 cars in the middle of january.

steinmethod

Mar 13, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IM planning on going the end of June. I know it will be summer and HOT. Can anyone recommend some good climbs in the shade?

thanks.

potreroed

Mar 13, 2009, 2:34 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steinmethod] Potrero Chico and the crazy "unrest" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It will be hot, but not extreme, and the way our walls are oriented everything here will be in the shade either in the morning or the afternoon. From around 1 to 3 you'll want to hunker down, enjoy lunch, a siesta and a swim before hitting the crags again until it gets dark around 9. In other words, summers here are awesome and not much different than anywhere else.

Parkerkat

Mar 13, 2009, 2:41 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steinmethod] Potrero Chico and the crazy "unrest" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Virgin Canyon is great as its very shady by early afternoon.. just walk around the first few days so you get good idea of whats shady at what time! ...there are so many different canyons you'll always have some shade!

gblauer

Mar 13, 2009, 3:12 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Parkerkat] Potrero Chico and the crazy "unrest" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in EPC at the End of Feb as well. I felt totally safe and isolated from the reported violence.

sonso45

Mar 13, 2009, 7:17 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Potrero Chico and the crazy "unrest" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I drove nearly 1,000 miles in early february to Durango (wrote a TR) and had no problems, only one military checkpoint stopped me. Later that month, I flew to Toluca and drove to Taxco then Jilotepec and finally Mexico City.

As a few said, it's a big battle between drug lords and the gov't (including ours). Most folks were friendly and helpful, even interested in what we were doing. Just be smart and use caution whenever you travel anywhere.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook