RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

moabbeth

Nov 21, 2002, 4:17 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1045 views)
Shortcut

Save Castleton Tower
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all. I don't know how many of you have the Rock & Ice Ultimate Climbs special issue but there's a really important article in there worth noting. It's on how we've got one year left in the Utah Open Lands fundraising efforts to buy the acreage that accesses the wonderful towers in Castleton in Castle Valley, UT just north of Moab. I don't know how many of you have been there or climbed there but it is one of the most gorgeous, breathtaking areas you'll ever see. And right now we have access to climb there (Kor-Ingalls is listed as one of America's 50 classic climbs and the North Chimney of Castleton tower is amazing). Greg Child wrote a wonderful article in this R&I and Jay Smith did the topos (thank you Jay!!! Now I've got topos on my fave routes as drawn by a climbing legend and Castle Valley local) for the routes of Castleton and both donated their fees to the cause.

Here's a link where you can learn more. It would break my heart to see this pristine land bulldozed, fenced off and a bunch of crappy faux-adobe tract homes go up in an area that is now one of the most lovely I've ever seen...and all of us are affected cause our access to the Towers wil be affected.

Here's a link for more info. Tell anyone you know who loves climbing in this area.

http://www.castlerockcollaboration.org/

Cheers.
Beth

wlderdude

Nov 21, 2002, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1045 views)
Shortcut

Save Castleton Tower [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I want to see Castle Valley as natural as it can be, but that article makes me want to build a house there more than conserve it!

If you change a few words you could make that atricle into a brouche to sell the houses that are going to be built if we can't do something.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook