RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

bigfatrock

Mar 19, 2009, 3:45 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Tendon sheath injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a finger injury that is a bit i different from your common pulley injury, I tore the tendon sheath at the base of my index finger. I can have full range of motion and can put quite a bit of weight on it and crimp pretty hard, but after climbing I feel the pain, although not extreme or rally even annoying, but it is noticeable.

After the initial injury 2-3 months ago I stayed off the finger for nearly three weeks and have been easing my way back into climbing harder, but the finger is not getting completely better.

I have climbed through ankle injuries in the past, and they take a while to heal, but this is getting really annoying. I know it's limting my climbing some, but nothing is inflamed and like I said I have full range of motion.

I know I should likely stay off it for a while again and then really and truly stick to easy climbing for a long while, but what are some other things I can do to help it heal? Should I tape when I climb on it? If so how should I tape? I have heard two conflicting theories of how to tape for a torn tendon sheath. One being a single strip above the tendon and two being two narrow strips of tape, one above and one bellow. Thoughts?

Thanks

brotherbbock

Mar 19, 2009, 4:55 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Tendon sheath injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Dude how is your injury not common? I have read stuff like this before about 97 times here on rc.com. I bet if you searched you would find all of your answers. But...... tape does help as well as rest. Dave Mcleod has a good blog on his site talking about finger injures. I have used his cold water technique and it seems to help.

bigfatrock

Mar 19, 2009, 5:25 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brotherbbock] Tendon sheath injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not a pulley injury, it's the sheath around the pulley that is injured. Anything I have read regarding finger talks about pulleys and describes the degree of the injury. I have had full range of motion ever sense the onset of the injury. I have yet to find anything similar.

brotherbbock

Mar 19, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So in not so many words you are screwed then.

onceahardman

Mar 19, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't sweat it too much, bigfatrock...

You are right, of course. Tendon sheaths and pulleys are different structures. Also correct that injuries to tendon sheaths are not particularly common around here.

Inflammation of a tendon sheath is fairly common. (Tenosynovitis).

As tendon sheaths heal, they have a tendency to get sticky, to kind of "tether" the tendon to the sheath. You want to move this injury a lot. Many repetitions of ROM, preferably actively. In cases involving contracture, very aggressive stretching or manipulation may be indicated.

Don't stretch so aggressively that you keep the inflammation hanging around, though.

altelis

Mar 20, 2009, 1:30 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2813 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Tendon sheath injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OAH- I've got a question for you, really relating to the OP. Or rather, the answer will be pertinent for the OP.

My buddy detached a tendon sheath in his hand (not sure which one), which resulted in a nodule in his palm. Well, after going a long time just ignoring it he finally had surgery and is doing great. Life went on. Then a few years later his dad did the same thing. Turns out there is an inheritable genetic factor that predisposes the lucky owner of this genetic mutation to these sorts of injury (does this count as an avulsion of the tendon sheath?). Do you think that the OP may have a similar/same syndrome? I.e. do you think the OP is predisposed to doing this again?

onceahardman

Mar 20, 2009, 7:24 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Tendon sheath injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Altelis...this sounds like Dupuytren's Contracture. This also has a genetic component, and actually runs in my family, although I've never had symptoms. It wouldn't surprise me if the same genetic defect could lead to similar symptoms as these.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question/responded to your comment. There is a thread entitled "Dupuytrens Contracture." See if that is more helpful, I think there might be a link or two inside.

altelis

Mar 20, 2009, 7:39 PM
Post #8 of 8 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Tendon sheath injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No that just about answered my question. It was simply a case of "that sounds like this thing I've heard of, wonder if it's related?". Cheers.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook