RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

skerky10mm

Mar 23, 2009, 3:45 AM
Post #1 of 15 (4891 views)
Shortcut

gear in maine???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im new to this hole climbing right via a hobby of mine. i have been climbing every thing i could since i was 6. last year i did so stuff on so of the water front stuff in acadia national park (some stuff by by sand beach). me and a buddy free climbed it and it was great i cant wait to do it again this year!!!11 but i have found other places that i want to climb but don't feel safe free climbing it. i don't know the first thing about climbing gear. is there any wear i can go to find out / buy gear around the bangor maine area???

carabiner96

Mar 23, 2009, 3:58 AM
Post #2 of 15 (4879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skerky10mm] gear in maine??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cadillac mt sports in bar harbor and ellsworth, alpenglow in bar harbor.

Partner epoch

Mar 23, 2009, 5:16 AM
Post #3 of 15 (4858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] gear in maine??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
cadillac mt sports in bar harbor and ellsworth, alpenglow in bar harbor and Orno.

Fixied!

skerky10mm

Mar 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] gear in maine??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks. its nice that you live in maine. i hear that there arnt many god places to climb here like there is out west but i dont feel like leave the state lol. i got out of school 2 years ago and have been working with very little play time. but i got a new job and im getting married aug of 2010. i was looking for a hobby and i reaaly think i can get it to this. thanks

carabiner96

Mar 23, 2009, 1:02 PM
Post #5 of 15 (4812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skerky10mm wrote:
thanks. its nice that you live in maine. i hear that there arnt many god places to climb here like there is out west but i dont feel like leave the state lol. i got out of school 2 years ago and have been working with very little play time. but i got a new job and im getting married aug of 2010. i was looking for a hobby and i reaaly think i can get it to this. thanks

They're lying.

jeremyash

Mar 23, 2009, 1:24 PM
Post #6 of 15 (4803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] gear in maine??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some very nice places to climb up this way. I was just out at Eagle bluff this past weekend, and there are plenty of nice lines. It's not big wall or anything but there's definitely climbing to be found. /you just have to be willing to find it.

-Jeremy

duncanlennon

Mar 23, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alpenglow is in OrOno, not Orno Wink. If you're in Bangor, check out Clifton , Fletcher's Bluff, etc. There's quite a bit of climbing in the area to suit all tastes. Also, the guy at Alpenglow guides and does intro to climbing clinics. Ask about it and get some experience before you spend all that money on gear.

acadiaclmber

Mar 23, 2009, 2:48 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4772 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremyash] gear in maine??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How was the climbing in Clifton when last you were there?

I tried a few weeks back and there was snow up to the first bolts and the rock was wicked cold. Also hunks of ice flying off the main wall...

carabiner96

Mar 23, 2009, 3:14 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acadiaclmber] gear in maine??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing in Clifton is absolutely amazing. It might very well be my favorite place to climb in the east.

Good rock, amazing lines, longer routes, and NO ONE THERE. You can't hear anything or anyone...it's amazing.
Mostly sport. Check out the guide, i think the Alpenglow stores carry it.

jeremyash

Mar 23, 2009, 5:09 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acadiaclmber] gear in maine??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Acadia Climber,
We got some warmer weather and rain so the snow has cleared up a bit. I was at Eagle Bluff this weekend, and the trail is still covered in snow as is the cliff base, but it's not too deep, and you can walk on it with out falling through. The rock wasn't too cold, i would recommend going on a warmer day though. It was in the high 30's or low 40's and we were all fine until the sun started to set.

To the OP, check out Maine bound on the Orono campus. They have a nice gym and run clinics from time to time as well. Also stop by Alpenglow in Orono. They have the guide books you need for the Clifton Crags as well as a great selection of gear.

-Jeremy

diebetes

Mar 23, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #11 of 15 (4718 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer the OP, gear in Maine is no different than gear anywhere else. Placing the gear, at least in Clifton, if what's different. The crystals take getting used to. In Acadia, it would be wise to make sure you have small stoppers. I've used them the most when in Acadia. There is great bouldering on the island as well, which I would encourage you to start at. You will build strength and technique doing this, as well as get used to the rock- and it's arguably safer. It seems (don't take offense, you more or less admitted this) that you are new to climbing. Maybe instead of buying gear you spend the money on a little climbing education. Good doesn't do any good if you're not using it correctly or safely.

Acadia climber,
Clifton is more or less open for the season. I was at Eagles on Saturday, the same day Jeremy was, and if you go on a day with a similar temperature, you want to make sure the sun is out. No sun, no fun. I haven't been to Chick yet, but I think that is still very limited by ice/moisture. Parks is great, as is (so I hear) Fletcher's.

skerky10mm

Mar 23, 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #12 of 15 (4686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [diebetes] gear in maine??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok that kind of stuff really helps me. on forums for my other hobby all people do is make fun of me and do alot of your mom jokes. this forum is by far the niced one i have been on. besides all that can any one give me a name of a climbing school around my area?? in only 25 miles from bangor and a couple more from ellsworth and driving to bar harbor isnt a big deal for me.

diebetes

Mar 23, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #13 of 15 (4668 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two: Acadia Mountain Guides and Atlantic Climbing School. I would argue that Jon Tierney's outfit, AMG has more technical know-how. They can be a little pretentious though.

Partner epoch

Mar 23, 2009, 7:28 PM
Post #14 of 15 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skerky10mm wrote:

Good luck!

There are plenty of places to climb here in Maine.

acorneau

Mar 24, 2009, 2:58 AM
Post #15 of 15 (4632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skerky10mm wrote:
is there any wear i can go to find out / buy gear around the bangor maine area???

HelllllloooOOOOoooo... L.L. Bean?!?!?!
SlyCrazyTongueCoolWinkPirateUnimpressedLaughSlyAngelic

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook