Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Living in the Salt Lake City area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bgsimmons

Mar 23, 2009, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2326 views)
Shortcut

Living in the Salt Lake City area  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've applied for a position that would have me working between Heber and Park City, but because of the high cost of living and the fact that I would be moving out there with my girlfriend who will be trying to find a job, I figured I would be trying to get a place to stay in Salt Lake and I was hoping to hear what people have to say about living in the area. I spent last summer in Utah, so I have an understanding of how the booze situation works and the general Mormon way of life. I am drooling over the climbing there but my girlfriend has yet to be convinced that Salt Lake City would be a cool place to be for her (aka someone who enjoys climbing but doesn't salivate over the abundance of rock nearby).

This post may be begging for an endless discussion on Mormonism but any input on the local life would be appreciated.

altelis

Mar 24, 2009, 12:50 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bgsimmons] Living in the Salt Lake City area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

give us a little more info so we can help-

What line of work is your girlfriend looking for?

What DOES she drool over- i.e. what else in her life makes her really happy?

Where do you guys live now? What about that do you guys really like? What about that do you guys really not like?

There is so much you can say about a place, especially SLC, that a little guidance would be useful.

One thing that I will say is that, while people do that commute all the time, its a PAIN in the ass in bad winter weather and I'd think long and hard about it. I was a server in PC and lived in downtown SLC, and I drove a 4x4 truck or a subaru. While I could pretty much always make the commute, it was often scary, VERY SLOW, and a pain in the ass. There are affordable places other than SLC for your work. Think about....

sidepull

Mar 24, 2009, 12:55 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2296 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bgsimmons] Living in the Salt Lake City area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking about moving to Italy - great climbing, but I'm worried about all of the Catholics.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook