Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Mar 25, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #101 of 117 (6018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
bustloose wrote:
I_do wrote:
bustloose wrote:
climb_eng wrote:
"bustloose wrote:
i'd tell you to find another belayer...

I'd hope that you'd already proven yourself to be an ass before we got to the crag, and hence the situation wouldn't come up.

clearly you have no idea the level of humour that you just took this to.

Nobody that i climb with would have to ask me to wear a helmet, that's just ridiculous.

if you, as a stranger, came up to me asking for belay, then asked me to wear a helmet, i'd tell you to find another belayer. pray tell how does that make me more of an ass than you?

Could you please explain to me why it would be ridiculous? I find that claim rather odd. One off my climbing partners wears his helmet a lot less then me while climbing, because it bothers him more then it does me, so often he'll not already have it on if he starts belaying me and as he climbs it's his choice. Sometimes I ask him to wear his helmet while belaying me if there's loose rock, never a problem so how is this ridiculous?

For the second part sure if I'm a stranger I can always ask some other random dude. I generally don't do that and that was not the situation I was talking about.

What's your problem with being asked to wear a helmet anyway?

And before you answer please look to my reply to angry's reply to my original statement you responded to previously Angelic.

allow me to clarify.

i have been climbing for a long time, my climbing partners have been climbing for a long time, with me.
i said - "Nobody that i climb with would have to ask me to wear a helmet". In other words, (because that's what so many people here need to see), the people that i climb with would never have to actually ask me to wear a helmet, if we were in a situation where a helmet would be advisable, i would be wearing it. if i was not wearing it, the situation as we all see it, would not require the wearing of a helmet.

therefore, to answer your question again; if you were to ask me to wear a helmet i would ask you to find another belayer. as in, i do not wish to climb with you, strange person who feels the need to ask someone to wear a helmet where it is not required. i would not bother to take the time to explain why i feel it is safer than you seem to think it is, simply not worth it.

You two need to learn how to properly use the quote function.

Don't blame a faulty U/I on the user. The way the quote works here is laughable.

I'd be embarrassed if I designed that.

You really think so? A lot of things suck about this website, but I never considered the quote function to be one of them. It's at least as good as any other forum or blog I can think of. What website has a better one?

Jay

dingus

Mar 25, 2009, 5:26 PM
Post #102 of 117 (6001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
bustloose wrote:
I_do wrote:
bustloose wrote:
climb_eng wrote:
"bustloose wrote:
i'd tell you to find another belayer...

I'd hope that you'd already proven yourself to be an ass before we got to the crag, and hence the situation wouldn't come up.

clearly you have no idea the level of humour that you just took this to.

Nobody that i climb with would have to ask me to wear a helmet, that's just ridiculous.

if you, as a stranger, came up to me asking for belay, then asked me to wear a helmet, i'd tell you to find another belayer. pray tell how does that make me more of an ass than you?

Could you please explain to me why it would be ridiculous? I find that claim rather odd. One off my climbing partners wears his helmet a lot less then me while climbing, because it bothers him more then it does me, so often he'll not already have it on if he starts belaying me and as he climbs it's his choice. Sometimes I ask him to wear his helmet while belaying me if there's loose rock, never a problem so how is this ridiculous?

For the second part sure if I'm a stranger I can always ask some other random dude. I generally don't do that and that was not the situation I was talking about.

What's your problem with being asked to wear a helmet anyway?

And before you answer please look to my reply to angry's reply to my original statement you responded to previously Angelic.

allow me to clarify.

i have been climbing for a long time, my climbing partners have been climbing for a long time, with me.
i said - "Nobody that i climb with would have to ask me to wear a helmet". In other words, (because that's what so many people here need to see), the people that i climb with would never have to actually ask me to wear a helmet, if we were in a situation where a helmet would be advisable, i would be wearing it. if i was not wearing it, the situation as we all see it, would not require the wearing of a helmet.

therefore, to answer your question again; if you were to ask me to wear a helmet i would ask you to find another belayer. as in, i do not wish to climb with you, strange person who feels the need to ask someone to wear a helmet where it is not required. i would not bother to take the time to explain why i feel it is safer than you seem to think it is, simply not worth it.

You two need to learn how to properly use the quote function.

Don't blame a faulty U/I on the user. The way the quote works here is laughable.

I'd be embarrassed if I designed that.

You really think so? A lot of things suck about this website, but I never considered the quote function to be one of them. It's at least as good as any other forum or blog I can think of. What website has a better one?

Jay

None. Web developers have failed utterly (and in stunning fashion) to create useful user interfaces. They most commonly blame it on the browser.

But 15 years ago J we had basic user control over usenet browsing and the WWW has yet to even rise to that basic level of user control.

This site's U/I is TERRIBLE. Its ugly and was developed for the benefit and amusement of the developer with almost no considertion for the end user. Picture size is a case in point. The cropping was for the developer's benefit, fuck the end user. This is by no means unique to this site - it is a pandemic in the development world.

The whole TAG thing is just primitive bullshit. WYSIWYG editing has been around for years. My word processor does it. My spreadsheets do it. My email program does it. Fonts. Bold. Italics. Tabs. Embedded spell checkers. Hell, most every application I work with provides the basic editing controls.

By comparison these forum editors are an utter joke.

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Mar 25, 2009, 5:27 PM)

shockabuku

Mar 25, 2009, 5:37 PM
Post #103 of 117 (5992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I assume you must have a good bit of experience with these types of issues since it provokes such a strong response?

Personally it doesn't bother me much except when people screw it up; I don't view it as difficult to use, it's just the way it is (to me).

But then I thought Pong was incredible and was just commenting the other day to a colleague how amazing it is that we can fit 4+ GB of data on a flash drive when I used to use 5.25" disk drives that only held a small fraction of that.

I guess it's all relative.

dingus

Mar 25, 2009, 5:47 PM
Post #104 of 117 (5986 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What issues? Earlier you claimed you didn't know what I was talking about?

DMT

shockabuku

Mar 25, 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #105 of 117 (5973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
What issues?

This one:

None. Web developers have failed utterly (and in stunning fashion) to create useful user interfaces. They most commonly blame it on the browser.

But 15 years ago J we had basic user control over usenet browsing and the WWW has yet to even rise to that basic level of user control.

This site's U/I is TERRIBLE. Its ugly and was developed for the benefit and amusement of the developer with almost no considertion for the end user. Picture size is a case in point. The cropping was for the developer's benefit, fuck the end user. This is by no means unique to this site - it is a pandemic in the development world.

The whole TAG thing is just primitive bullshit. WYSIWYG editing has been around for years. My word processor does it. My spreadsheets do it. My email program does it. Fonts. Bold. Italics. Tabs. Embedded spell checkers. Hell, most every application I work with provides the basic editing controls.

By comparison these forum editors are an utter joke.

In reply to:
Earlier you claimed you didn't know what I was talking about?

DMT

Yeah, so I googled "U/I" (user interface) since then. It didn't even take that long. It doesn't make sense to me that the "U" and the "I" are separated by a "/" so the representation didn't come intuitively. I thought it might be some kind of input/output abbreviation. Anyway...so much for wearing helmets.

Is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAG_(BBS) what you mean by TAG?

dingus

Mar 25, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #106 of 117 (5968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have a good one dude

DMT

jt512

Mar 25, 2009, 7:12 PM
Post #107 of 117 (5955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

Rec.climbing: It's not (quite) dead yet...

Attachments: rec.climbing.png (80.5 KB)

Partner cracklover

Mar 25, 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #108 of 117 (5946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
dingus wrote:

Rec.climbing: It's not (quite) dead yet...

Throw it on the cart.

Most posts are spam or Eugene's autoposts.

Edited to add: but goddamn if it wasn't good while it lasted! Including a lot of good stuff you posted there, Jay.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Mar 25, 2009, 8:36 PM)

ladyscarlett

Mar 25, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #109 of 117 (5936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not to distract from the U/I discussion...

having recently done a little off width/ flaring crack-chimneys, I am newbie enough to appreciate the value of the helmet cam., because when I get to the point where I need to use it, I NEED to use it - heh.

No helmet, no helmet cam. Bad form, I know, but it works in a jam (heh)!

ls

dingus

Mar 25, 2009, 8:02 PM
Post #110 of 117 (5935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't had the courage to visit the graveyard for more than a year now. Not even for a peek.

DMT

Partner cracklover

Mar 25, 2009, 8:17 PM
Post #111 of 117 (5932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyscarlett] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:

having recently done a little off width/ flaring crack-chimneys, I am newbie enough to appreciate the value of the helmet cam., because when I get to the point where I need to use it, I NEED to use it - heh.

ls

Helmets not required. See:

Seriously, though, you're a slim one, like me. If you keep occasionally getting into squeeze chimneys, it's just a matter of time before you discover that the helmet is your widest point. Now you can't turn your head, you can't move up, and you can't get your helmet off.

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place! (heh)

GO

k.l.k

Mar 25, 2009, 8:36 PM
Post #112 of 117 (5919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
If you keep occasionally getting into squeeze chimneys, it's just a matter of time before you discover that the helmet is your widest point. Now you can't turn your head, you can't move up, and you can't get your helmet off.

Well, as soon as you put the helmet on, you could simply slather on a tube of K-Y jelly and really complete the look.

troutboy

Mar 25, 2009, 9:08 PM
Post #113 of 117 (5909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
I haven't had the courage to visit the graveyard for more than a year now. Not even for a peek.

DMT

Don't do it. Remember it as it was. It is, as described: 90 % spam, 9 % Eugene's autoposts, and 1 % people who post for real (most of whom do not know the site is dead). Not a dead cat reference to be found.

TS

(This post was edited by troutboy on Mar 25, 2009, 9:08 PM)

ladyscarlett

Mar 25, 2009, 9:48 PM
Post #114 of 117 (5890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

Helmets not required. See:
[img]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/5/414885-work-pamela_Lucille_Short.jpg[/img]

Seriously, though, you're a slim one, like me. If you keep occasionally getting into squeeze chimneys, it's just a matter of time before you discover that the helmet is your widest point. Now you can't turn your head, you can't move up, and you can't get your helmet off.

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place! (heh)

GO

Indeed! Maybe when I get good enough to actually get into squeeze chimneys I'll leave the helmet off...something to look forward to!

Looks like loads of fun though!

ls

Partner robdotcalm

Mar 25, 2009, 11:24 PM
Post #115 of 117 (5868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:

ls

Curious, but I always wear a helmet except in offwidths and tight chimneys. Reasons: sometimes the helmets stick; sometimes they won't let you move your head from R to L or L to R; they prevent good head jams (not joking)

Cheers,
Rob.calm

ladyscarlett

Mar 25, 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #116 of 117 (5858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] "Helmets usually not necessary" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, I don't know...

I'll admit, I haven't done that many (me=newbie) but in the few that I've done, it's not my head that gets stuck, but the gear on my harness that I've cleaned...maybe I have a small head?

I'm sure there will be a point when I do off width and chimney where I'll curse my helmet, but until then, I'm going to use the helmet cam whenever I need it. Sometimes it takes every little bit to haul myself up the rock!

cheers for the advice though

ls

Partner robdotcalm

Mar 26, 2009, 4:10 AM
Post #117 of 117 (5823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyscarlett wrote:
yeah, I don't know...

I'll admit, I haven't done that many (me=newbie) but in the few that I've done, it's not my head that gets stuck, but the gear on my harness that I've cleaned...maybe I have a small head?

I'm sure there will be a point when I do off width and chimney where I'll curse my helmet, but until then, I'm going to use the helmet cam whenever I need it. Sometimes it takes every little bit to haul myself up the rock!

cheers for the advice though

ls

If the gear on your harness is getting stuck, it probably indicates that for the climb in question you should be using a gear sling. I've observed people turning 5.7 offwidths into 5.10 as the gear on their harnesses hung up on the rock.

Cheers,
Rob.calm

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook