RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

twidmer

Apr 7, 2009, 4:32 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Redneck Slacklining
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well I am probably not the first to set this up, but I am impressed on the time it takes to set the line up. Just under 3 minutes. Pretty cool for camping, and the lift of my Burb makes it perfect. The crazy thing is that I can't quite get it as tight as I like, and the cable is super narrow and rotates. My first go round on the rig ended up
with a possible nutcracker. Well the line is the right height. Right when I was ready for the crack, I landed on my feet.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPH2aTraC1M

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 7, 2009, 9:58 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [twidmer] Redneck Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're definately not the first person to use that method...

Use caution, it's really easy to over tension and damage a line using vehicles.

Another reasons it kind of sucks is the vehicles suspension adds extra movement and weird bounce.

It is however a handy method to have when setting very long lines. I do however recommend you figure out a way to hardpoint or softpoint out your winch so the line is left tight between a couple trees. With only a little extra gear, it's quite possible to do.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Apr 7, 2009, 10:11 PM)

twidmer

Apr 8, 2009, 2:49 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Redneck Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would mess up my steel cable?

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 8, 2009, 3:00 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [twidmer] Redneck Slacklining [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

twidmer wrote:
I would mess up my steel cable?

Basically here's the scenario, you want to rig a line between two trees say 30 foot apart. You have a piece of 50 foot webbing with a loop on one end and a seperate piece of accessory cord to make a friction hitch (prussic, klhemist, watever) or any type of hardware which will serve as a line grab.

At it's most minimalist and simplified method of using a winch to tighten the line would be:

Park the car in line with the trees where the winch would be let out just next to one of the trees.
Secure the webbing around tree one.
Secure the friction hitch to the webbing a few feet in from the tree you are parked closest to and connect your winch hook to it.
Tighten the line to the desired tension + a bit
Use the remaining webbing that is just hanging free to tie the line tight to the 2nd tree.
Release the cable and remove the friction hitch.

You now have a slackline with no hardware interfering and you set the line tight with your winch.

There are certainly ways of improving the above so that it lies 100% flat or avoids nylon on nylon wear as well. I personally prefer using cam buckles to do that rather than prussiks as it won't melt into the line under tension and is usually a lot stronger.

(This post was edited by slacklinejoe on Apr 8, 2009, 3:02 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook