RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

rocknrock

Apr 13, 2009, 5:45 AM
Post #1 of 5 (867 views)
Shortcut

jtree accidents not in Accidents in North American Mountaineering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't think I've seen any accidents from josh in this. I think there was even a mention in one of the forwards about them not being available.

Anyone know the reason for this? Doesn't strike me as a good thing.

thanks

majid_sabet

Apr 13, 2009, 6:20 AM
Post #2 of 5 (848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknrock] jtree accidents not in Accidents in North American Mountaineering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

rocknrock wrote:
I don't think I've seen any accidents from josh in this. I think there was even a mention in one of the forwards about them not being available.

Anyone know the reason for this? Doesn't strike me as a good thing.

thanks

The AAC ANAM is a year old when you buy it in stores so what you read in 2009 is actually from 2008 so the 2009 reports may become published in 2010.Also some report may never make it to any publications and that is done for political reasons.

josephgdawson

Apr 13, 2009, 7:11 AM
Post #3 of 5 (818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] jtree accidents not in Accidents in North American Mountaineering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Many accidents are not reported to them and they do not have the funding to track them all down. Some of the reports that are sent in to them are too short of too poorly written to publish.

There are a bunch of tables in the back of the book, but I am not sure if the numbers add up to the sum total of writeups.

billl7

Apr 13, 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #4 of 5 (753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [josephgdawson] jtree accidents not in Accidents in North American Mountaineering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

josephgdawson wrote:
Many accidents are not reported to them and they do not have the funding to track them all down. Some of the reports that are sent in to them are too short of too poorly written to publish.
Last summer, I heard that JTree NP had opened a position for a "Climbing Ranger." If true, perhaps that will lead to better JTree reports and so more likelihood of the reports being in ANAM.

Bill

clintcummins

Apr 13, 2009, 8:02 PM
Post #5 of 5 (639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknrock] jtree accidents not in Accidents in North American Mountaineering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have recent editions of ANAM, but Joshua Tree accidents are in several of the ones I do have. Here are counts of Joshua Tree accidents in ANAM from 1989-1996 (I have earlier editions also, but thought this might be a useful sample):
1989: 8
1990: 2
1991: 0
1992: one entry, summarizing 20 reports, of which 6 were climbing accidents (4 falls, 1 rappelling accident), and 14 were "scrambles".
1993: 1 (report filed by victim)
1994: 3
1995: one entry, summarizing 9 climbing accidents and 4 scrambling accidents
1996: 0

Probably the level of reporting is up to local search and rescue operations.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook