RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

rschap

Apr 12, 2009, 8:01 PM
Post #1 of 14 (8076 views)
Shortcut

Portaledge Ideas
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I’m just starting on big walls after free climbing and mountaineering for about 7-8 years. I’m designing a portaledge and I was wondering what features some of you experienced big wallers have found valuable over the years. I’ve made a single ledge already so I’m going to make a double this time. I have the basic design now I’m looking at decking it out. I’ve looked at all the commercial ledges (i.e. BD, Fish, Metolius) and I’ve even looked at a few home made jobs so I’ve done some research, I’m just looking for ideas and info, like sewn in daisies, must have or could do without. Also I’m 6’3” 225lbs so I’m making this thing roomy, comfy, and heavy duty and I’m not concerned too much about the weight.

Lazlo

Apr 12, 2009, 9:10 PM
Post #2 of 14 (8048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rschap] Portaledge Ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sure it would be easier to buy one; I’m not looking for easy. The same thing that draws me to climbing also draws me into making my own gear, it’s a hobby so F-Off…

Heh. I like your sig.

the_climber

Apr 13, 2009, 3:52 PM
Post #3 of 14 (7948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the middle of building a double right now too. If you want send me a PM and we can discuss some of the design features.

Partner pbcowboy77

Apr 13, 2009, 6:12 PM
Post #4 of 14 (7924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Easy setup like the old BD ledge, but with a spreader bar that doesn't stick into your back. I've got the old BD double which has no middle support and if you have 2 in it you end up sliding into the middle and spooning with your smelly partner. I had the single and it wasn't a problem with that but it sucks on the double.

I'd take extra weight with easy setup any day... I love that I can setup my ledge in less time than it takes my partner to take his out of the bag.

Zac

moof

Apr 13, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #5 of 14 (7916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been discussed before, but making sure the straps have a lot of adjustment range is pretty darned important, and if they were setup in a 3:1 instead of a 2:1 it would be a lot easier/nice to adjust things once you and your fatso partner were already in place.

Daisy chains on the bed under the frame (like the Fish one night stand) would be handy for hanging crap out of the way. I hate ending up with 3-4 stuff sacks on each tension strap.

A light weight extra tether on each wall side corner would be nice for when you have extra anchor points available and want to tie off one or both corners to a second point to stabilize the thing against swinging everytime your fatso partner shifts around.

For a double, a privacy screen so you only have to listen to your partner's business, and not witness it.

altelis

Apr 13, 2009, 8:24 PM
Post #6 of 14 (7888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] Portaledge Ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moof wrote:
It's been discussed before, but making sure the straps have a lot of adjustment range is pretty darned important, and if they were setup in a 3:1 instead of a 2:1 it would be a lot easier/nice to adjust things once you and your fatso partner were already in place.

Daisy chains on the bed under the frame (like the Fish one night stand) would be handy for hanging crap out of the way. I hate ending up with 3-4 stuff sacks on each tension strap.

A light weight extra tether on each wall side corner would be nice for when you have extra anchor points available and want to tie off one or both corners to a second point to stabilize the thing against swinging everytime your fatso partner shifts around.

For a double, a privacy screen so you only have to listen to your partner's business, and not witness it.

Sounds like the easiest way to get what you want in a double ledge is a smaller partner!SlySly

pmyche

Apr 13, 2009, 8:57 PM
Post #7 of 14 (7870 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

rschap

Apr 14, 2009, 4:45 AM
Post #8 of 14 (7816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Portaledge Ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going to order some heavy tent poles from Easton and make it nice and spacious inside or at least as big as my Marmot Sanctum. I’ve been trying to find some of that eVent material for the fly but I’ve had no luck. If I can’t get a hold of that I’m going to use Gore-Tex rip stop and do like the 4 season tents that have zip up vents with mesh. I’m also thinking about having a vent at the top that pops up (like the fly vents on the REI Half Dome) with straps hanging down for cooking.

Pmyche I must say I didn’t think about a pee port but I did consider a poop hole like the old A5s.

I like the Daisy on the under side Moof, I also considered making light ratchets for the leveling straps but I’m not sure yet.

Pbcowboy77 I’ve got that covered but I’m not ready to talk about it yet.

mtnkid85

Apr 14, 2009, 8:44 PM
Post #9 of 14 (7758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
I am going to order some heavy tent poles from Easton and make it nice and spacious inside or at least as big as my Marmot Sanctum. I’ve been trying to find some of that eVent material for the fly but I’ve had no luck. If I can’t get a hold of that I’m going to use Gore-Tex rip stop and do like the 4 season tents that have zip up vents with mesh.

For the eVent you might try contacting some of the smaller gear manufacters like Feathered friends, Wild things, Western mountaineering ect. Ive never tried but Id imagine if they have the matierial they could order in an extra roll for you...

rschap

Apr 15, 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #10 of 14 (7713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtnkid85] Portaledge Ideas [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I kinda know the creator at Loki and a buddy of mine works there; I try not to pull favors unless I have to, besides that buddy already got me a hook up for climbing holds so I already owe him.

rockforlife

Apr 15, 2009, 12:36 AM
Post #11 of 14 (7699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I REALLY think you should find some sort of see through material for the floor. Now tell me that wouldn't be the coolest thing ever!!!

Partner pbcowboy77

Apr 17, 2009, 10:36 PM
Post #12 of 14 (7579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rschap wrote:
Pbcowboy77 I’ve got that covered but I’m not ready to talk about it yet.

You looking at selling this thing? If so I want to talk! I have both the new BD and the old. The New one is big enough for me but the old one even though it's REALLY easy to set up is a inch smaller than me...

I'd buy yet another ledge (I have 3) to have one that is easy setup, big enough for me and doesn't sag in the middle. I don't even care of the about all the other stuff...

Zac

budman

Apr 17, 2009, 10:51 PM
Post #13 of 14 (7570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The one thing that comes to mind is comfort of my old A5 ledge over all the new ones. The old A5 has four straps making it easy to sit in the middle with your legs over the edge without having the ledge tip from one side to the other. Also own the BD Sky lounger which is a breeze to set up. But it has 6 straps with 2 of them directly in the middle of each side not allowing you sit in the middle with you legs over the side. I know it's not a big thing but a little comfort in stretching your legs and being able to sit up in comfort goes a long way for me. Have considered making a spreader bar for the A5 but I'm only 5'10' and 160 lbs.

summerprophet

May 11, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #14 of 14 (7258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have built my ledge, and honestly It kicked ass on anything else on the market at the time.

Some notes.
ANCRA buckles are a little heavier, but allow weighted adjustment.
Remember to put in a drain grommet.
1 1/4" .058 wall would be a minimum AL tubing size
for a double.
milling the corners and mounting them to the end bars eliminate any chance of "Hourglassing", but make the disassembled length as long as your ledge is wide.

I have another REALLY nice piece of advice, but if word gets out, it would disappear, PM me if you want it.

J.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook