RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

punk_rocker333

Apr 13, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Solo Yosemite trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I may be going solo on a trip to the valley this summer and wanted some advice from anyone who has done this before. I will not be driving so I am trying to pack light. As for the rack, I was thinking of bringing a set of single cams from small tcu to #5 friend and the usual nuts and draws.
Most of the longer routes I would like to do recommend a double set of cams (Serenity, Sons of Yesterday, Steck Salathe, East butt of Middle, Frenzy, etc). Has anyone ever had problems with meeting partners and pooling enough gear to get up the classic long routes?

pmyche

Apr 13, 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2211 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

dingus

Apr 13, 2009, 7:51 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [punk_rocker333] Solo Yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

punk_rocker333 wrote:
I may be going solo on a trip to the valley this summer and wanted some advice from anyone who has done this before. I will not be driving so I am trying to pack light. As for the rack, I was thinking of bringing a set of single cams from small tcu to #5 friend and the usual nuts and draws.
Most of the longer routes I would like to do recommend a double set of cams (Serenity, Sons of Yesterday, Steck Salathe, East butt of Middle, Frenzy, etc). Has anyone ever had problems with meeting partners and pooling enough gear to get up the classic long routes?

What you listed would be my standard rack for the routes you listed with the #5 going or staying dependant upon route.

A double set of cams only recently started being called 'standard.

DMT

graniteboy

Apr 13, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has anyone ever had problems with meeting partners and pooling enough gear to get up the classic long routes?

Yeah...Chris Cantwell used to have a really hard time getting people to climb with him after about 1982....but that had more to do with how he smelled in conjunction with his psychiatric status....

punk_rocker333

Apr 13, 2009, 9:54 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] Solo Yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be there starting in mid to late May so temps will probably still be cool enough to climb in the Valley for a month at least. I did spend a summer there and climbed at the time but I had a car and my entire rack as well as regular partners. As I said before I will not have a car and was planning on only bringing a single rack of cams. I am assuming from the above responses that a single rack and finding partners will be no problem, oh, and that some guy stank. Thanks for the information.

anonymi

Apr 15, 2009, 3:49 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey
Im going to be there by myself around the same time (back-end of May for 2 wks) and with a similar light rack.
I'll be searching for a partner, so keep a look out for a (probably sunburned) scotsman.
See ya
Topher

dingus

Apr 15, 2009, 3:56 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anonymi] Solo Yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys will shake the Pillars of Heaven!

DMT

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook