RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rtwilli4

Apr 17, 2009, 1:45 PM
Post #1 of 9 (843 views)
Shortcut

second Rope, your oppinions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing on a Sterling Marathon 10.1 and I love it. I have climbed on thinner ropes but I don't think I climb hard enough for a few grams or millimeters to make a difference. I love the feel of the Marathon, and it really takes a beating well.

I am leaving my rope at my shop in Thailand and will be buying a new one for the summer in the states. So it is a second rope, but not really an addition to mine since one will probably stay in the states and one in Thailand.

I rarely work routes, but may be doing it more this summer. I am looking for something similar to the Marathon 10.1 but a bit thinner. 9.4-9.8. Anyone have any experience with the Marathon and then moved on to a bit of a thinner rope but not necessarily a "redpoint rope?"

I am looking at the Sterling Evolution 9.8 because it is a Sterling, it's double dry, and it comes in 70m bi-color. I've never had the chance to climb on one. Am I missing out by sticking with Sterling or should I just go with what I know.... that they make amazing ropes?

naitch

Apr 17, 2009, 2:12 PM
Post #2 of 9 (818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] second Rope, your oppinions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Mammut Infinity and it works real well and has been fairly durable. It's 9.5 but you need to also pay attention to the weight which tells you as much as the stated diameter. I have seen great variation in ropes that we all stated to be the same size. Even though it's a 9.5 it seems to be a bit larger. It is 58 gms/meter

It comes in 70m and also Duodess if that's what you want.

rtwilli4

Apr 17, 2009, 2:15 PM
Post #3 of 9 (810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] second Rope, your oppinions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I try to stay away from Mammut gear (personal reasons) and besides that I have had bad experiences with their rope. It sounds like what I am looking for though so I will check it out. Thanks.

coastal_climber

Apr 17, 2009, 2:24 PM
Post #4 of 9 (803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, sterling velocity 9.8 is the best under 10mm you can get. I highly recommend it.

Johnny_Fang

Apr 17, 2009, 2:42 PM
Post #5 of 9 (794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
Thanks. I try to stay away from Mammut gear (personal reasons) and besides that I have had bad experiences with their rope. It sounds like what I am looking for though so I will check it out. Thanks.

mammut ropes SUCKKKKKKKK.....

well, rather, the one mammut rope that i had SUCKKKKKKEEEEEEEDDDDDDD.....

dretket

Apr 17, 2009, 6:19 PM
Post #6 of 9 (743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Johnny_Fang] second Rope, your oppinions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really, I've only had good experiences with Mammut. What was wrong with yours?

Johnny_Fang

Apr 17, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #7 of 9 (727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dretket] second Rope, your oppinions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the Mammut Eiger 10.5 as my first rope. It seemed much larger than a 10.5 as soon as I opened it up and compared it to others' ropes. It swelled up quickly to the point that, when rappelling, I can take my hands completely off of the brake end and not move an inch. I have to push it through the device to move anywhere. This SUCKS on multipitch descents. That's if I'm lucky enough to get it in to the device on the first few tries--my partners and I have to bite it to get a loop small enough to jam into my ATC, making me think that is where the term 'bight' comes from. Tying fig 8's on a bight and clove hitches is tough because it is so stiff. Plus the hand on it is really rough, even after washing, clipping draws is likely to give me rope burn on my hands if I'm not careful. The belay feels super corded, it's like belaying with a cable. And it is really heavy and barely fits in my rope bag, I have to pound it down on all of the edges to zip the thing up, though my rope bag is a good 1/3rd larger than my partner's. Granted, it is a little more than three years old at this point, but I didn't like it straight away. My partners literally curse me when we need to use it for multipitch.

shockabuku

Apr 17, 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #8 of 9 (715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed for about 2 years (indoors only) on a half of a Sterling biathlon pro 10.1. I bought it already cut in the gym. Really loved it. I replaced it with a half of a Sterling Evolution Velocity Bicolor 9.8 that I bought from Gear Express and frankly wish I had just gotten another 10.1. Just by holding them I don't notice any difference in size or handling and haven't noticed any differences in catching falls. I don't know what type of dry finish either of them did or didn't have. What I have noticed is that the 9.8 seems to collect dirt (in the gym only) like a magnet. Never had a problem with the 10.1 in that regard.

Since they're not full length ropes and I only use them in the gym I can't comment on weight differences. Outdoors I use a Beal 10.2 and 10.5 which are nice ropes, not as stiff as the Sterlings, but don't seem to hold up quite as well as the Sterlings.

If you're going to be leaving whatever rope you get in the states when you go back to Thailand I'd be more than happy to hold onto it for you.Smile

Also consider how it will effect usage in your belay device to use a smaller rope. I still use a grigri on the 9.8 and it works fine, just runs a little fast.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Apr 17, 2009, 8:12 PM)

mtnkid85

Apr 18, 2009, 12:01 AM
Post #9 of 9 (674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] second Rope, your oppinions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I havent climbed on any Sterling single ropes so I cant really compare for you.

But Ive had my Mammut 9.5 Infinity for ~2+ years now and its been a great rope, I use it mostly for alpine/special climbs but for the first year it was also my every day rope. Still has plenty of life left in it.

My 2 cents...

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook