RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

jakedatc

Apr 18, 2009, 5:45 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3501 views)
Shortcut

Moved/Deleted thread "paper trail"
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I feel that moved or deleted err. recycled threads should have a paper trail so that a) you know where the hell your thread got moved TO instead of having to wander all over the board trying to find it b) if it did get deleted you can find out who did it and what their reasoning was

IE

I think this would save A LOT of confusion and aggravation

It used to say "thread moved by ______" at the bottom similar to the "edited by _____ at 12:12pm"
That hasn't been the case in a long time though.. I think the green folks should be accountable for their actions so that if someone has a question they can go to the right person. If Phil moves a thread and I try to ask Macherry about it she's not going to have the best answer.

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Apr 18, 2009, 5:49 PM)

blondgecko

Apr 19, 2009, 4:21 AM
Post #2 of 12 (3484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Moved/Deleted thread "paper trail" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The "moved thread" pointer issue was discussed a while back, and we decided to turn it off because the pointers kept cluttering up the front page. A better option would be to make those pointers not echo to the front page, but that's a programming issue, and as I understand it funding for programming changes is in short supply at the moment.

As for documenting who moved it and why, that's a manual thing these days. Generally, we add a post to the thread when we make the move saying why we did it. With recycled threads, unless they're just spam we'll generally add a post to the end so that the other mods can see who did it - keeps us accountable to each other, at least. So generally, if you have a thread recycled, asking any mod should pretty quickly point you in the right direction to find out why.

climbs4fun

Apr 20, 2009, 4:18 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3462 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Moved/Deleted thread "paper trail" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
The "moved thread" pointer issue was discussed a while back, and we decided to turn it off because the pointers kept cluttering up the front page. A better option would be to make those pointers not echo to the front page, but that's a programming issue, and as I understand it funding for programming changes is in short supply at the moment.

As for documenting who moved it and why, that's a manual thing these days. Generally, we add a post to the thread when we make the move saying why we did it. With recycled threads, unless they're just spam we'll generally add a post to the end so that the other mods can see who did it - keeps us accountable to each other, at least. So generally, if you have a thread recycled, asking any mod should pretty quickly point you in the right direction to find out why.

Back in the day, it used to automatically send the OP a PM stating where and why and by whom. It no longer does that unfortunately. We have to do it (and should be) manually. The only exception to us sending a PM is in the case of a spammer.

jakedatc

Apr 20, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Moved/Deleted thread "paper trail" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not even saying a PM.. Just a tag at the bottom of the post saying "thread moved by _____" alot of times the reason is obvious but sometimes not.

The main issue i have is that there is no trail.. If a thread is deleted/moved for whatever reason.. something should be left saying that it was deleted/moved so you don't go wandering aimlessly around the site looking for a thread that may or may not exist anymore.

I posted major access info in the regional section it pertained to and the partners forum for the area to spread the word about falcon closures and they were both moved to the Access forum that will be buried in a day and not seen by anyone it was meant to reach.. (I did the same thing last year and they were not moved)

:shrug: i won't bother next time.

Adk

Apr 20, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go here. http://www.rockclimbing.com/...tates/New_Hampshire/
And post under forum discussionWink
The only way to keep something up top is to bring it back to the top. Everything does not deserve a sticky nor can everything be at the top all the time.
It's good that you posted about it though and I understand your dilemma.
Please take the time to post on these issues. They help many of us even if they seem to get buried from time to time..

jakedatc

Apr 20, 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Moved/Deleted thread "paper trail" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did that.. and Jay (epoch) Moved it for no apparent reason since he didn't give me one

It doesnt need to be a sticky.. it just needed to be a) in the regional threads so that if someone went to the link you posted they would see it.. or if they went to East Coast they would see it since threads aren't started all that much so it would stay on the first page for a while

I don't think the owners etc really know how easily Mountain Project could replace this place if it wasn't for the domain name. Better Forum break down.. better route database, better photo system. Far less bullshit

Adk

Apr 20, 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
I don't think the owners etc really know how easily Mountain Project could replace this place if it wasn't for the domain name. Better Forum break down.. better route database, better photo system. Far less bullshit

No it couldn't. Maybe the attitude above is a reason why you didn't get a "reason" why it was moved.

Don't like BS? it's like the radio....change the station and never go back! I've done that to several myself.ShockedSly

...So put the post back over and over until you get a response why it was moved.Wink or go above his head for a response. If you are not satisfied with the response either live with it or lump it!
As to those that don't like that the routes are closed. Too bad. Someone wants them protected. Live with it!
BTW: Nice "E" . I love mine too!Tongue

(This post was edited by Adk on Apr 20, 2009, 11:34 PM)

Partner epoch

Apr 21, 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #8 of 12 (3437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The current set up of our forums is such that where the most recent access issue post of yours was placed was in fact in a partner networking forum. Multiple posts about access across 4 forums is a bit weighty, considering that all four threads show up on the FP at the same time. Some may consider it spam.

Information posted within the options in the RDB are a good resource. However if you make a post that ends up in the Regional Information forum, it is likely to get buried amongst the many posts that happen within there. Posting in the partners forum is reserved for partner hunting. The exceptions are the stickies. Falcon closures are an access problem. Same as an angry landowner pissed off at the general populous who wants to close down a section of cliff that they own; or the BLM going crazy over an endangered gnat species.

I agree that MP has a neater forum set up and I wish that we could change the Partners Forums to a more regional specific venue. I had some ideas to feed up the chain, but as we all know it's on hold at the moment.

It will sit longer at the top of the access forum than in the EC partner forum.

jakedatc

Apr 21, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #9 of 12 (3435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Moved/Deleted thread "paper trail" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not upset that the routes are closed.. this happens every year around this time and it's not really well documented by the Access Fund but through sites like this, NE Climbs, Mtn project the word gets out to folks that aren't regulars and may not know about the yearly closure.
Plus.. from many accounts you don't wanna be up there with those birdies.. kamakazi bomber birds Pirate

I do not post or read a whole lot of stuff on here except for a few group threads and areas. I consider posting answers to stuff and hit "back" since it's not worth the effort.

E's rock.. best climbing/biking car ever

Partner epoch

Apr 21, 2009, 12:47 AM
Post #10 of 12 (3430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No I wouldn't want to be near them if I knew they were nearby, those birds are psycho. I've done a fair share of ignorantly pissing them off. They're not endangered any more; therefore they are on my possible things to eat list.

jakedatc

Apr 21, 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #11 of 12 (3427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Moved/Deleted thread "paper trail" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They will eat you first.. they saw how winded you are on the bonsai approach.. Main cliff trail is steeper. they are ready. Laugh

Partner epoch

Apr 21, 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stumbled upon a nesting pair at one of my local spots recently. Yeah, they weren't too happy. Nothing like sketching at a crux whilst getting dive-bombed by a falcon going 70+ three feet from your head... Monkey

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook