Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

notapplicable

Apr 7, 2009, 3:47 AM
Post #51 of 60 (4458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drumminmachine62] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

drumminmachine62 wrote:
I didn't stay long enough to see, one person was half way up castaways and the rest were sitting around while the group leader was trying to teach them some kind of safety acronym. I just remember hearing him say "D is for DANGER" like 10 times. Then I just walked away.

Heh, thats pretty funny.

Perhaps some good came of the whole exercise. Like the nOOblets learning how to deal with unforeseen circumstances in the vertical world. Gotta figure it out at some point.

WVUCLMBR

Apr 10, 2009, 1:12 PM
Post #52 of 60 (4361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

D is for Danger....classic!!!

aclimbinfool

Apr 12, 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #53 of 60 (4301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think we could all talk about how much an ASSHOLE Mike Gay is. Or, how long he's been doing all this BULLSHIT he calls climbing. Yeah, he may have climbed with Howard Clark & Eddie B. back in the day. But let's not fool ourselves. Mike Gay is a washed up climber looking for attention. So lets not give him the sastisfaction . There are plenty of great places to climb...and, best of all, not have to deal with Mr. Gay.
As for me, I'll be satisfied if I never have to deal with Mike again. You know, except for when he serves me frosty beverages at social functions.

yekcir

Apr 16, 2009, 1:38 AM
Post #54 of 60 (4214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aclimbinfool] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The damage caused to the area by a Friday night of drunken teenagers, with bonfires, spray paint, and rotting carcasses left in their wake, is far more visible to landowners than a bit of trail erosion. Regardless, climbing at Franklin pretty much sucks. The grid bolted routes suck, the rock quality sucks, the whole attitude about the place sucks. This is in no small part directly related to the fact that, if a certain someone is there who claims to have made the place what it is, I've gotta walk on friggin eggshells instead of enjoying a day out climbing.

Mike, if you hadn't developed the area, someone else would have. Just because you put trails in and attempted to control visitors doesn't make you special and doesn't give you the right to be an asshole to people, online or otherwise. Strech your arm over your shoulder, pat yourself on the back, and move on. Let the people who enjoy Franklin enjoy Fraklin. Isn't there something else you'd rather be doing?

In reply to:

aclimbinfool

Apr 19, 2009, 2:39 AM
Post #55 of 60 (4164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yekcir] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on! Maybe Mike will be serving you at your next social function. I've heard he's a great bartenter. Sucks at socials skills, but rocks at being BEER BITCH.

yo Rickey....nice OVERALLS

rockandlice

Jun 2, 2009, 8:43 PM
Post #56 of 60 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aclimbinfool] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hit Franklin on Sunday evening for the first time in over a decade. Knowing what things were like in the early to mid-90's, I was quite impressed with the current state. Coming back from Seneca and just stopping in, we had no guide so we walked the cliff line looking for something inviting. We found a really interesting looking line and hopped on. Shortly after Mike (Ronin) walked by and sparked up some conversation. He informed us we were on Aloha and gave us the background behind the line and told us that he had just re-equipped it.

Reading this whole thread, I was reminded of other experiences I've had in my past where I poured my heart and soul into something, only to be met with a constant up hill battle. I understand how frustrating it can be, and can imagine this is something Mike has dealt with for a really long time now. I know a previous poster mentioned needing to "step away". I can understand that thought, but perhaps Mike is simply too passionate to leave all of his and others hard work to fate.

Just a thought.

It was nice talking with you Mike.

ClimbSoHigh

Oct 26, 2010, 7:37 PM
Post #57 of 60 (3589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW, sounds like Franklin has some issues. Instead of chopping routes, how about you post the names and pictures of the dickheads that trampled the retoration effort instead of being a dickhead too. Just a thought.

I know it sucks to have people treat your hard efforts with little respect, but the key is to not take it out on everyone because 1 group was a bunch of dickheads. It also sounds like the dickheads were not locals, so destroying routes only punishes the locals, not the people that started the anger.

Here in CT we have a dickhead that did a ton of work to establish traditional climbing lines and spent years putting in long hours finding and developing hidden crags. He got pissed that people were not respecting his efforts (by adding bolts to some of his X rated climbs to prevent death falls) and he turned into the most despised climber in New England with his dictator ego (he is a bolt chopping machine) After spending decades doing so much great for climbing in our state, it is ironic that he will be remembered in history for his last decade or so of being a egotistical duechbag, nothing more. Be careful this does not happen to you Mike. The only thing worse than people not respecting your efforts is people forgetting them altogether and only knowing you were a dick.

The world is full of dickheads and nice people, dont let the dicks turn you into one too. If you feel obligated to punish climbers for not respecting you and your work, take it out on the right people, not climbers in general.

WOOOOO SAAAAAHHHHH......

justroberto

Oct 26, 2010, 7:48 PM
Post #58 of 60 (3586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbSoHigh wrote:
WOW, sounds like Franklin has some issues. Instead of chopping routes, how about you post the names and pictures of the dickheads that trampled the retoration effort instead of being a dickhead too. Just a thought.

I know it sucks to have people treat your hard efforts with little respect, but the key is to not take it out on everyone because 1 group was a bunch of dickheads. It also sounds like the dickheads were not locals, so destroying routes only punishes the locals, not the people that started the anger.

Here in CT we have a dickhead that did a ton of work to establish traditional climbing lines and spent years putting in long hours finding and developing hidden crags. He got pissed that people were not respecting his efforts (by adding bolts to some of his X rated climbs to prevent death falls) and he turned into the most despised climber in New England with his dictator ego (he is a bolt chopping machine) After spending decades doing so much great for climbing in our state, it is ironic that he will be remembered in history for his last decade or so of being a egotistical duechbag, nothing more. Be careful this does not happen to you Mike. The only thing worse than people not respecting your efforts is people forgetting them altogether and only knowing you were a dick.

The world is full of dickheads and nice people, dont let the dicks turn you into one too. If you feel obligated to punish climbers for not respecting you and your work, take it out on the right people, not climbers in general.

WOOOOO SAAAAAHHHHH......
Did it take you a year and a half to think up that response?

ClimbSoHigh

Oct 26, 2010, 8:10 PM
Post #59 of 60 (3575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nope, just stumbled across this for the first time and thought it sounded a lot like the shit going on in CT. When your bored it work, heading these flame wars is pretty entertaining.

If you want to read another flame war, check out this... http://mountainproject.com/v/eastern_states/ctny_bolting_ethics/106040667__1 we got ours up to 10 pages... booya!

And what are people doing at Franklin anyways, if you live in that state, go to Summersville! DWS for life! Cant chop my routes there! lol. Well, work is over. I'm gonna go climb a rock now...

Express

Oct 26, 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #60 of 60 (3551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbSoHigh] Route closures at Franklin [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of people climbing at Franklin are not from WV, but are Virginians from Richmond, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, and Northern VA/ the DC Metro Area. For many of these folks, it's a lot closer than the NRG and suitable for a day trip.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook