Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Apr 24, 2009, 2:54 AM
Post #26 of 29 (577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Johnny_Fang] Climbing Decisions/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

First of all, I was merely answering questions posed by the op, not by you. If you had asked specific questions then you would have received specific answers.

Look, climbing has the potential for danger high or not. I never said I am taking a greater risk nor did I say I am taking a lesser risk climbing high so please dont misconstrue my words and/or message I am conveying.

I understand how YOU see it, but YOU are not ME (thank god) , comprende? How can you be certain that I am more at a risk while climbing high, or is it just because you think so? please elaborate.

I understand your logic, you are under the impression that I believe since none of my other climbing experiences have led to disaster or injury then all other climbing will lead to the same result.
Well I have news for you, I am not so simplistic.
As far as epics/injuries are concerned there is no relation from one climbing trip to the other. Every single climbing experience, for anyone, could lead to an epic/injury. The injury could be on your first trip or it could be on your last trip or somewhere inbetween. Let me ask you one question, do you smoke bud? I assume not, or if so very infrequently.

I understand every climbing trip could have the potential for disaster so I consider all factors before embarking on said trip. If you believe being high increases risk that is your opinion that has no factual bearing whatsoever. Since you believe it does increase risk, please give me examples of this. Im not talking about slowed motor skills, altered depth perception or whatever you think the effects are.Im talking about an event where you can prove an epic/injury was experienced as a direct result of climbing while high.

You should stop jumping to these moronic conclusions and maybe try looking at things from different perspectives, but I understand for some that is impossible.

Terry2124

Apr 24, 2009, 3:02 AM
Post #27 of 29 (562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] Climbing Decisions/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mecalekahi-mekahidyho wrote:
First of all, I was merely answering questions posed by the op, not by you. If you had asked specific questions then you would have received specific answers.

Look, climbing has the potential for danger high or not. I never said I am taking a greater risk nor did I say I am taking a lesser risk climbing high so please dont misconstrue my words and/or message I am conveying.

I understand how YOU see it, but YOU are not ME (thank god) , comprende? How can you be certain that I am more at a risk while climbing high, or is it just because you think so? please elaborate.

I understand your logic, you are under the impression that I believe since none of my other climbing experiences have led to disaster or injury then all other climbing will lead to the same result.
As far as epics/injuries are concerned there is no relation from one climbing trip to the other. Every single climbing experience, for anyone, could lead to an epic/injury. The injury could be on your first trip or it could be on your last trip or somewhere inbetween. Let me ask you one question, do you smoke bud? I assume not, or if so very infrequently.

I understand every climbing trip could have the potential for disaster so I consider all factors before embarking on said trip. If you believe being high increases risk that is your opinion that has no factual bearing whatsoever. Since you believe it does increase risk, please give me examples of this. Im not talking about slowed motor skills, altered depth perception or whatever you think the effects are.Im talking about an event where you can prove an epic/injury was experienced as a direct result of climbing while high.

You should stop jumping to these moronic conclusions and maybe try looking at things from different perspectives, but I understand for some that is impossible.

your point being?

Johnny_Fang

Apr 24, 2009, 3:24 AM
Post #28 of 29 (551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] Climbing Decisions/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You say that you consider all factors, but obviously you don't

Here is the evidence on pot's deleterious effect on important characteristics that keep us safe from climbing. This is from a basic google scholar search that took me all of 45 seconds.

1. Pot has a lingering effect 12-24 hours later that has a negative effect on attention, psychomotor tasks, and short term memory. All of those things are essential for staying safe while climbing. http://www.sciencedirect.com/...8a833652683d3894fc3c

2. "Cannabis produces dose-related impairments in cognitive and behavioral functioning that may potentially impair driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery. These impairements are larger and more persistent for difficult tasks that depend on sustained attention." http://www.ukcia.org/...ffectsOfCannabis.pdf

3. As joints smoked per week increased, performance decreased on tests measuring memory, executive functioning, psychomotor speed, and manual dexterity. http://www.neurology.org/...t/abstract/59/9/1337

There are literally HUNDREDS of articles that all find these same results: smoking pot decreases your ability to do things that are essential for staying safe while climbing.

You ask how you are more at a risk climbing high, well it is because marijuana decreases your ability to think clearly, move quickly, remember things, and reason through problems. That is how. That isn't a difficult concept to understand but maybe you're high right now.

As I said in my original posts, there are many factors to risk, getting high is just one of them. Almost every epic/injury is the result of several mistakes, several risky decisions. If you want to increase your risk because it is worth it to you, go for it. I'm sure you wouldn't question me running out placements, my chosen method of increasing risk.

What worries me is that you don't seem to have any comprehension that smoking pot increases your risk of injury. If you are a really well experienced climber who knows his shit, it probably doesn't increase your risk of injury very much. But being aware is an important step

Terry2124

Apr 24, 2009, 3:28 AM
Post #29 of 29 (550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Johnny_Fang] Climbing Decisions/Epics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Johnny_Fang wrote:

You say that you consider all factors, but obviously you don't

Here is the evidence on pot's deleterious effect on important characteristics that keep us safe from climbing. This is from a basic google scholar search that took me all of 45 seconds.

1. Pot has a lingering effect 12-24 hours later that has a negative effect on attention, psychomotor tasks, and short term memory. All of those things are essential for staying safe while climbing. http://www.sciencedirect.com/...8a833652683d3894fc3c

2. "Cannabis produces dose-related impairments in cognitive and behavioral functioning that may potentially impair driving a motor vehicle or operating machinery. These impairements are larger and more persistent for difficult tasks that depend on sustained attention." http://www.ukcia.org/...ffectsOfCannabis.pdf

3. As joints smoked per week increased, performance decreased on tests measuring memory, executive functioning, psychomotor speed, and manual dexterity. http://www.neurology.org/...t/abstract/59/9/1337

There are literally HUNDREDS of articles that all find these same results: smoking pot decreases your ability to do things that are essential for staying safe while climbing.

You ask how you are more at a risk climbing high, well it is because marijuana decreases your ability to think clearly, move quickly, remember things, and reason through problems. That is how. That isn't a difficult concept to understand but maybe you're high right now.

As I said in my original posts, there are many factors to risk, getting high is just one of them. Almost every epic/injury is the result of several mistakes, several risky decisions. If you want to increase your risk because it is worth it to you, go for it. I'm sure you wouldn't question me running out placements, my chosen method of increasing risk.

What worries me is that you don't seem to have any comprehension that smoking pot increases your risk of injury. If you are a really well experienced climber who knows his shit, it probably doesn't increase your risk of injury very much. But being aware is an important step

in all honesty i have never tried it before. I don't believe in climbing under any influence. the person is just not putting himself / herself at risk but also their partner which is not cool at all.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook