Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

kingbiscuit

Apr 24, 2009, 8:48 PM
Post #1 of 119 (5658 views)
Shortcut

Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am new to trad climbing and I was wondering how many people use oppositionals for their first piece. I guess I am being kind of specific to vertical cracks. Nothing seems completely safe from zippering for the first piece in a vertical crack.

patmay81

Apr 24, 2009, 8:56 PM
Post #2 of 119 (5647 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kingbiscuit] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

this is very situational, even for perfectly vertical splitters.
-If the belayer can't get belay from directly below the first piece then the first piece probably needs to be multi-directional.
-If there is there any curve or lean to the left or right, then the first piece probably needs to be multi-directional.
-If there is any chance that the belayer might get pulled up to the first piece in the event of a fall then the first piece may need to be muti-directional.

chossmonkey

Apr 24, 2009, 9:53 PM
Post #3 of 119 (5620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kingbiscuit] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Generally no, but I make sure the first piece is good for outward/upward pull.

grampacharlie

Apr 24, 2009, 9:56 PM
Post #4 of 119 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always make the first peice multi-directional. 'nough said.

colatownkid

Apr 24, 2009, 10:07 PM
Post #5 of 119 (5604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kingbiscuit wrote:
I am new to trad climbing and I was wondering how many people use oppositionals for their first piece. I guess I am being kind of specific to vertical cracks. Nothing seems completely safe from zippering for the first piece in a vertical crack.

note that the above responses say to make the first piece multidirectional, not necessarily oppositional. in other words, if the first piece is a cam, depending on the situation, it can often be placed as a multidirectional piece and would not require a second piece as an oppositional.

shimanilami

Apr 24, 2009, 10:19 PM
Post #6 of 119 (5587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

If an outward pull is likely, why not simply eliminate the problem with a long sling?

johnwesely

Apr 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #7 of 119 (5584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I usually make it a point to have 2 opposed and bomber nuts be my first piece, but sometimes I am content with a good cam placement.

tradrenn

Apr 24, 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #8 of 119 (5566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Generally no, but I make sure the first piece is good for outward/upward pull.

Me too.

BTW. 22 T PC++ FTW MF.

rocknice2

Apr 24, 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #9 of 119 (5558 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grampacharlie] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grampacharlie wrote:
Always make the first piece multi-directional. 'nough said.
I'll second that.
Unless the belayer is DIRECTLY underneath then the multi-directional is only highly recommended.

sspssp

Apr 24, 2009, 11:07 PM
Post #10 of 119 (5548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
If an outward pull is likely, why not simply eliminate the problem with a long sling?

Sometimes that would work. Sometimes a long sling would be problematic if you are trying to protect a hard move close the ground. And if you fall, the upward may still unzip pieces. It could be that the long sling causes the second piece to fail first and then, for example, the first piece fails.

As a general rule, a cam that can handle some outwards/upwards pull is the best bet.

rocknice2

Apr 24, 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #11 of 119 (5536 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:

A long sling does not really help for the first piece. Again it depends how far away the belayer is standing.
If you put along enough sling to cut down the angle between belayer and climber then the second piece comes into play and needs to be M-D. This long sling will probably negate any protection the first pro was to serve.

shimanilami

Apr 24, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #12 of 119 (5534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sspssp] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sspssp wrote:
shimanilami wrote:

Sometimes that would work. Sometimes a long sling would be problematic if you are trying to protect a hard move close the ground. And if you fall, the upward may still unzip pieces. It could be that the long sling causes the second piece to fail first and then, for example, the first piece fails.

As a general rule, a cam that can handle some outwards/upwards pull is the best bet.
I agree. I'm just surprised that there are so many posters who say that they always add an oppositional nut on their first piece. I've never seen this in my entire life.

rocknice2

Apr 24, 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #13 of 119 (5526 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the belayer is directly underneath the leader then there is little risk of upward pull. Unless the belayer moves their stance unbenounced to the leader then they're fucked.

Even when I place a cam, I sometimes try to get a nut in opposition if the crack is irregular.

Basically any time the rope changes direction a multi-directional is needed.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on Apr 24, 2009, 11:32 PM)

esoteric1

Apr 24, 2009, 11:51 PM
Post #14 of 119 (5508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

usualy a cam works as a multi directional piece on the first one.
I barely ever oppose nuts, one instance I do, is, say the first pitch ends on top of a pinnicle and the next pitch goes lateral for a ways, until you hit a system, then makes a 90* turn, at that 90* turn, Ill oppose 2 nuts, to make sure the angle stays that way. if that piece pulls and you lose that angle in the rope, youll get a zipper effect AND lose a bunch of linear feet in your system, which could cause you to ground out, depending on the circumstances.
out side of that scenerio, the only times ive opposed nuts, is to figure out how to do it, and on straight traversing routes, when downward gear doesnt exist.
I think its most important when you create angles in your system though, because that opens up a can of worms.

bill413

Apr 25, 2009, 1:55 AM
Post #15 of 119 (5465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esoteric1] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the multi-directional folks. Whether that requires a nut placed in opposition, a cam, or a sling around a horn, doesn't matter. It needs to be able to hold.

As for the folks saying "if the belayer is directly under..." - I expect the belayer to move around. Yes, ideally, they should be in the right spot, but that doesn't always happen. So, plan for the belayer to not be directly under the anchor....make it able to withstand a pull from any directions.

vegastradguy

Apr 25, 2009, 3:40 AM
Post #16 of 119 (5402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
As for the folks saying "if the belayer is directly under..." - I expect the belayer to move around. Yes, ideally, they should be in the right spot, but that doesn't always happen. So, plan for the belayer to not be directly under the anchor....make it able to withstand a pull from any directions.

i dont know about you, but i expect my belayer to be in the right spot at all times in general- or at least close to it. them standing too far away from the wall is asking for an accident.

as for multidirectional- as everyone has said, cams are ideal and easiest for your first piece. they dont always happen, and i can think of one instance in particular where i led this super thin .10a seam up in lcc- and it was rp's off the deck for the first 30' or so...to mitigate the need for a oppositional (since that wasnt going to happen due to the nature of the crack), a .75 camalot in a slot at the ground with a long sling on it was used to prevent popping the stoppers if i were to have fallen. while my belayer was in the right spot and i wasnt particularly worried about the gear popping on me, the gear available was rp's- and they were only bomber exactly how i set them, any outward movement at all and they would blow- so, we used the cam.

in the end, its all situational- learn to evaluate the situation in front of you, taking into account all the factors you can, and use them to make a decision that will keep you safe and comfortable with the situation at hand.

billcoe_

Apr 25, 2009, 3:38 PM
Post #17 of 119 (5329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
I'm just surprised that there are so many posters who say that they always add an oppositional nut on their first piece. I've never seen this in my entire life.

Well, you probably just need to get out of the house more! LOL

The correct answer to the question is "sure it happens once in a while". Course, if you are using cams, NBD.

Adk

Apr 25, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #18 of 119 (5310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [esoteric1] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

esoteric1 wrote:

A single cam surely does not do this.

esoteric1

Apr 25, 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #19 of 119 (5305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

depends on how you place it

punk_rocker333

Apr 25, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #20 of 119 (5276 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
shimanilami wrote:

A long sling does not really help for the first piece. Again it depends how far away the belayer is standing.
If you put along enough sling to cut down the angle between belayer and climber then the second piece comes into play and needs to be M-D. This long sling will probably negate any protection the first pro was to serve.

How high do you usually place your first piece? I'd say mine are usually more than 10 feet up, often times higher. I would think that a long sling would reduce any zippering if your first piece was high up (which is common from my climbing experience) and still keep you off the ground.

areyoumydude

Apr 25, 2009, 6:46 PM
Post #21 of 119 (5268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Adk] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Adk wrote:
esoteric1 wrote:

All the falls I have ever caught at Indian Creek did.

joeforte

Apr 25, 2009, 6:47 PM
Post #22 of 119 (5264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shimanilami wrote:
I agree. I'm just surprised that there are so many posters who say that they always add an oppositional nut on their first piece. I've never seen this in my entire life.

I oppose 2 nuts, or a nut and a cam, for the first piece, whenever possible. I'd say 70% of the time.

colatownkid

Apr 25, 2009, 6:52 PM
Post #23 of 119 (5263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [punk_rocker333] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

punk_rocker333 wrote:
rocknice2 wrote:
shimanilami wrote:

How high do you usually place your first piece? I'd say mine are usually more than 10 feet up, often times higher. I would think that a long sling would reduce any zippering if your first piece was high up (which is common from my climbing experience) and still keep you off the ground.

this all depends on what you consider to be "high up." in my opinion, 10 feet is hardly "high up." if your first piece is at 10 feet with a 2 foot sling on it, your first protection is really at 8 feet. this means your second piece needs to be around 12 to 14 feet up to keep you from decking. if that's the case, why bother with that first piece at all? it only protect 2 or 3 feet of the climb.

further, a long sling might negate zippering on the first piece, but then it just means your second piece can be subject to zippering...

punk_rocker333

Apr 25, 2009, 7:09 PM
Post #24 of 119 (5249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colatownkid] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your belayer was more or less below you and you climbed at least 10 to 15 feet up to put your first piece in, attach it with a sling, then climbed at least another body length above that to set your next piece depending upon the difficulty of the route in question (with or without sling attached depending upon how much the route wanders), I would say that your chances of zippering are small and an oppositional piece is not needed. This has been the case with nearly every route I have ever done.

I personally have never set an upward piece for opposition. I've placed pieces to keep my rope from running over sharp edges or to keep it out of the crack, but not from fear of zippering.

Adk

Apr 26, 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #25 of 119 (5197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [areyoumydude] Do you place an oppositional for your first piece in vertical cracks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

areyoumydude wrote:
Adk wrote:
esoteric1 wrote:

All the falls I have ever caught at Indian Creek did.

I did not say it wouldn't catch.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook