Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing near Boston
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

marc_from_quebec

Apr 28, 2009, 2:14 AM
Post #1 of 2 (3488 views)
Shortcut

Climbing near Boston  (North_America: United_States: Massachusetts: Greater_Boston)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I'm looking for info on rock climbing crags around Boston (trad, sport, top-rope, bouldering... anything). I know there's the rockclimbing.com list: (http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Massachusetts/Greater_Boston/) but since I don't have enough time to sample all the crags (I'm in Boston only a few days at a time) I'd like to hear your recommendations. Here are the 3 different things I'm looking for:

-What's the best crag?
-Where would you bring a beginner?
-Where's the best bouldering for somebody climbing V3 on a good day?

Thank you very much for any and all help,

Marc

shoo

Apr 28, 2009, 2:45 AM
Post #2 of 2 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc_from_quebec] Climbing near Boston [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc_from_quebec wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for info on rock climbing crags around Boston (trad, sport, top-rope, bouldering... anything). I know there's the rockclimbing.com list: (http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Massachusetts/Greater_Boston/) but since I don't have enough time to sample all the crags (I'm in Boston only a few days at a time) I'd like to hear your recommendations. Here are the 3 different things I'm looking for:

-What's the best crag?
-Where would you bring a beginner?
-Where's the best bouldering for somebody climbing V3 on a good day?

Thank you very much for any and all help,

Marc

First off, I would recommend purchasing the Boston area guidebook, Boston Rocks. That'll give you a pretty good idea of what's what in the Boston area, at least in terms of roped climbing.

In general, you'll find that the immediate Boston area is lacking in super high-quality crags. Pretty much everything is catered towards top-roping, with some occasional trad and sport. However, there is some fantastic climbing of all types if you're willing to drive the 2-3 hours to get there. That's another story, though. I'll keep this to within 1 hour drive.

Trad: There are some pretty nice lines at Crow Hill, but other than that, nothing I would go out of my way for.

Sport: The only sport you'll find within an hour of Boston is random, scattered stuff at local crags like Quincy Quarries.

Top-rope: Quincy Quarries is by far the most popular Boston crag. It can also be very crowded. Quincy caters well to beginners. There are a handful of semi-classic, short lines that are worth checking out, though they will almost all be taken up on the weekends by slow groups. Most everything at Crow Hill and Rattlesnake is TR friendly.

Bouldering: No clue. I don't boulder. I hear it's kinda like climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook