Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

djoseph

Jun 2, 2008, 2:59 PM
Post #101 of 156 (25221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Eric_at_Petzl] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Eric_at_Petzl wrote:
Over the last year, a small number of ropes have been returned to us showing premature wear and we are studying them on a case-by-case basis to determine the possible contributing factors and scope of the issue.

Bumping this thread (and the other) because I like Petzl and am surprised that there has not been an official notice about these ropes. Petzl: any update?

WVUCLMBR

Jun 22, 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #102 of 156 (24467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djoseph] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Update:
Mine got shredded today. Lowered someone off over a smooth edge and it looks like my grandma's favorite sweater.....I'll post pics tommorow. REI, get ready for another return.MadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadMadPirateMadPirateMad

MonkeyInTraining

Jun 23, 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #103 of 156 (24435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Was it a red Zephyr? I am wondering as I have heard of a few zephyrs going bad all being red colored and I heard (read online) about a Nomad 9.8 in red with a sheath problem. Wondering if the color of the fibers (and the dye used to make it) has anything to do with the problem. I have a petzil Nomad in green and I am hoping that it is safe from the sheath issue. hrmm after writing that down i feel a little cheap with my safety :oP hoping for safe is not what i had in mind when I bought it...

WVUCLMBR

Jun 23, 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #104 of 156 (24390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MonkeyInTraining] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here she is...I wish I woulda taken pics of the edge. It wasn't smooth, but it wasn't sharp either. I got it for x-mas and have used it 4-5 times @ Seneca with zero falls on it.

For a comparison, my 2 yr old Mammut Flash, which I've abused like hell and still looks new (just washed)

Edited to add: I have messaged Petzl, we will see if they do anything.

(This post was edited by WVUCLMBR on Jun 23, 2008, 1:55 PM)

MonkeyInTraining

Jun 23, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #105 of 156 (24316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like the red fibers are all F-ed up but the others are not doing as bad. Hard to tell though in a picture. This is getting rediculous as rope after rope has sheath issues and petzil continues to say nothing. WTF?

Can you take a macro pic of the sheath fibers at an angle which shows the condition of the fibers in the worst area. Specificaly I want to see if the browish gold and blue fibers weaved into the sheath show that same fuzzation (new word! wewt!).

(This post was edited by MonkeyInTraining on Jun 24, 2008, 4:35 AM)

WVUCLMBR

Jun 23, 2008, 8:30 PM
Post #106 of 156 (24282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, their ropes are worse than your spellingTongue.

WVUCLMBR

Jun 24, 2008, 12:22 PM
Post #107 of 156 (24221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So Petzl contacted me. They want me to send it back for testing and to review wether it is a warranty issue. Should I do this or just take it back to REI? I'm pretty sure REI would replace it, where Petzl's service seems to be in question still. This whole thing has me really pissedMad

stymingersfink

Jun 24, 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #108 of 156 (24218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
So Petzl contacted me. They want me to send it back for testing and to review wether it is a warranty issue. Should I do this or just take it back to REI? I'm pretty sure REI would replace it, where Petzl's service seems to be in question still. This whole thing has me really pissedMad
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=1914790#1914790

notapplicable

Jun 24, 2008, 1:27 PM
Post #109 of 156 (24189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
WVUCLMBR wrote:
fuck it- send it back to PETZL (on THEIR dime) so they can get to the bottom of this whole deal. If they're not willing to replace it with SOMETHING ELSE, have them send it back to you, THEN take it back to REI.

Hey WVU, did you provide a link to this thread when you contacted them, you might want to do that.

The problem is, Petzl very well may not send it back. Who knows what kind of testing they will do, they may just throw it in the trash can or they might destroy the thing running tests on it and if somethings wrong, they damn sure aint sending it back.

Theres two issues here, the first being that it is ideal to deal directly with the manufacturer so that they get their hands on all the defective products and can determine the correct course of action. The second being that they seem unwilling to pull the ropes and so the only way to get that done would be to raise hell with the people who sell the ropes and have them send back their stock and stop ordering. The problem is that if each store across the country only gets one return, no one is gonna feel the pinch and stop selling the shit.

Way off topic but a perfect example of people at retail outlets not understanding what is at stake and not caring enough to do something. I bought ten 12ft. lengths of #4 rebar to re-enforce some stone piers that had to be grouted solid because of their height. When I put the rebar bender on one to put a 90 degree angle in it, it snapped in half. Now the whole reason to put rebar in grouted masonry/concrete is because it gives tensile strength to a material with great compressive strength. Now, I realize I am quite the stud but if I can just snap the shit in half somethings wrong. So I took the rebar back to Lowe's and told the department manager about the problem, gave him the rebar and told him he should contact his supplier. Based on his reaction I thought I should talk to the store manager also (clearly the guy didnt give a shit) so about 5 min. later the store manager and I walk up and ask to see the material in question and DM say's that he put the "returned" stuff back on the shelf. WTF, either he didnt understand what was at stake with them selling a defective product that is used for what rebar is often used for or he just didnt give a damn.

Yeah, yeah I know, you didnt read that^^.

I really dont know, in this particular case, what the best course of action is. I think I would be perfectly honest with Petzl and tell them that your aware these ropes are having problems and you are only going to send it directly to them if they can A. guarantee to send it back in returnable condition if they refuse to refund you for it. B. Refund cash or credit to a retailer that sells ropes other than their own. Be perfectly honest, tell them that if they cannot do A. or B. then you will return it to REI and request that they ship it to Petzl. Give Petzl the REI store information and make the people in the store aware of the problem and that Petzl needs their rope.

My 2 cent anyway.

WVUCLMBR

Jun 24, 2008, 1:41 PM
Post #110 of 156 (24176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have decided it is going back to REI. I'm not paying to ship it and Petzl didn't offer to do so. Fuck them. If this was an isolated incident, or I had abused the rope, I would send it to Petzl for analysis. I just don't wanna deal with their bs when I could simply return it. I am gonna be really honest with the folks @ REI and hopefully they send it/contact Petzl.

Oh, and thanks for the concrete lesson....i did read it, but just to make sure you weren't wrongTongue

notapplicable

Jun 24, 2008, 1:55 PM
Post #111 of 156 (24167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think thats probably the best thing. Just tell them that Petzl has had problems with these ropes and that you think it would be a good idea to send it back to them. Partially so they can have it to study and partially so they can understand that their retailers dont appreciate this crap.

Kinda feel bad for REI but what you gonna do, they are in the best position to put pressure on petzl.

stymingersfink

Jun 24, 2008, 2:22 PM
Post #112 of 156 (24145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I think thats probably the best thing. Just tell them that Petzl has had problems with these ropes and that you think it would be a good idea to send it back to them. Partially so they can have it to study and partially so they can understand that their retailers dont appreciate this crap.

Kinda feel bad for REI but what you gonna do, they are in the best position to put pressure on petzl.
as evidenced by the CCH debacle, yes.

IIRC, it was REI's demand that led to D.W. outsourcing some of the production processes which led to that whole thing.

It'd be nice if REI were on the other side of the problem this time.

notapplicable

Jun 24, 2008, 3:53 PM
Post #113 of 156 (24096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
IIRC, it was REI's demand that led to D.W. outsourcing some of the production processes which led to that whole thing.

Hmmm, didnt know that. Interesting.

jt512

Jun 25, 2008, 5:59 PM
Post #114 of 156 (23981 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
Here she is...I wish I woulda taken pics of the edge. It wasn't smooth, but it wasn't sharp either. I got it for x-mas and have used it 4-5 times @ Seneca with zero falls on it.

Interestingly, it looks to me like the red and orange strands are much more damaged than the green ones -- evidence supporting the red rope hypothesis.

Jay

WVUCLMBR

Jun 25, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #115 of 156 (23953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I definately noticed that too. It looks like the red fibers were plucked out of the sheath. The orange ones are also damaged, but not as severely. The gray/greenish ones are almost fine.

kingbiscuit

Jun 25, 2008, 8:22 PM
Post #116 of 156 (23931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"stymingersfinkas" evidenced by the CCH debacle, yes.

DW?? Who's that?

stymingersfink

Jun 25, 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #117 of 156 (23897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kingbiscuit] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kingbiscuit wrote:
In reply to:
"stymingersfinkas" evidenced by the CCH debacle, yes.

DW?? Who's that?
Dave Wagonner, owner of CCH, designer of Aliens (afaik)

SomeoneE1se

Aug 24, 2008, 8:57 PM
Post #118 of 156 (22470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Always take it back to the retailer, if there's really a problem with the ropes they'll see a lot of them coming back. And even if they don't send them back to mfg they'll stop buying/selling anything that stops making money. In the end you're happy because you've got you money back, other climbers are safer because no one will sell bad equipment anymore. And the company making it will have to fix the problem because no one will buy a product that comes back.

Partner j_ung

Aug 25, 2008, 1:50 PM
Post #119 of 156 (22387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

REI was on both sides of the CCH problem. It's certainly believable that REI's demand resulted in CCH's outsource, but they also helped pressure CCH into its recall.

stymingersfink

Aug 25, 2008, 3:15 PM
Post #120 of 156 (22330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

REI was on both sides of the CCH problem. It's certainly believable that REI's demand resulted in CCH's outsource, but they also helped pressure CCH into its recall.

that was probably their own self-interest tho, so they wouldn't have to eat the cost of all those people returning their cams. With a recall they can ship them back to the manufacturer, rather than just "destroy" them as a piece of returned climbing gear. No?

knudenoggin

Aug 25, 2008, 7:18 PM
Post #121 of 156 (22277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
It looks like the red fibers are all F-ed up but the others are not doing as bad. Hard to tell though in a picture.
I concur in this on both counts--"not (quite) as bad" & "hard to tell".
Perhaps the OP can give us, as requested, a closer view or simply do the
eyeballing himself (even w/magnifier (e.g., binoculars in reverse!)),
which we'll trust to be accurate.

It also looks as though the fibre clumps are either (a) not so evenly in
tension--i.e., have some looser fibres--or (b) rather plush per width
--resulting in a thicker fibre clump to be woven over/under others, making
for more pitched arcs, more isolated-surface contact surfaces.
In the case (a) one could expect loose fibres to be snagged & torn;
and in (b) must less yarn surface sharing the abrasion. !?
(Too bad the photo of the Mammut rope isn't focused & compare-able.)

In reply to:
This is getting r{i}diculous as rope after rope has sheath issues and petzil continues to say nothing. WTF?
AGREED! --Cousin-made-for-Petzl ropes, right?

In reply to:
the browish gold and blue fibers ...
/
... the green fibers ...

Holy hue-cup, BatMen!
(I'm sticking with "gold"--in true USA-marketing-Olympics spirit!)

Wink

knudenoggin

May 3, 2009, 5:24 PM
Post #122 of 156 (17394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
dude give petzl more time for analyses---

---they got a huge stock of zephrs in the warehouse

Are they waiting, hoping to unload the warehouse prior to revelations ... ?

This post was over a year ago,
and I don't recall seeing any update to the mysterious rope disintegration
being posted to this (or GearHeads) forum.

Is there any conclusion about this issue?

*kN*

WVUCLMBR

May 4, 2009, 4:47 PM
Post #123 of 156 (17287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I decided to cut mine in 1/2 and just use it for toproping @ Coopers. I'll be sticking to Mammut & Sterling from now on.

ScarpaScarpa

May 5, 2009, 2:29 AM
Post #124 of 156 (17202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Petzl Zephyr Rope Warning [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My new maxim is rubbing alot worse than that! I havent ever had a rope wear so fast from this....

Its super fuzzed at the last 5 meters or so....

knudenoggin

May 5, 2009, 4:36 AM
Post #125 of 156 (17165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WVUCLMBR wrote:
I decided to cut mine in 1/2 and just use it for toproping @ Coopers. I'll be sticking to Mammut & Sterling from now on.

How has your Zephyr performed for the continued use, on TR?
--further disintegration, et cetera, or ... ?

*kN*

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook