RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

heidt410

May 7, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #1 of 24 (2584 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by heidt410
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

shockabuku

May 7, 2009, 3:57 AM
Post #2 of 24 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [heidt410] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

heidt410 wrote:
When building an anchor using this method with cord, either standard equalette or quad, you are essentially hanging the master point between 10 or so inches of cord in between the 2 extension limiting knots. Now what the hell happens when either side blows? The master point would then slide down to the knot, about 5 inches, putting the load on the knot and then shock loading the surviving anchor/s?

Hahahahaha!!!1!!!!!1!1!!1

OMG, that's great!ONE

james481

May 7, 2009, 4:01 AM
Post #3 of 24 (2559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [heidt410] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

heidt410 wrote:
When building an anchor using this method with cord, either standard equalette or quad, you are essentially hanging the master point between 10 or so inches of cord in between the 2 extension limiting knots. Now what the hell happens when either side blows? The master point would then slide down to the knot, about 5 inches, putting the load on the knot and then shock loading the surviving anchor/s?

When one side of the equalette blows, the master point will load against the extension limiting knot. I may be wrong on this, but I believe in this situation the knot is loaded in basically the same manner as a flat overhand (Euro-Death Knot) would be loaded when used to join ropes for rappel. In other words, it's possible (especially if the knot is not well dressed) that the knot may roll over itself and suck up some of the remaining cord / sling. However, unless the sling / cord itself has been cut (instead of the piece it is attached to blowing), this shouldn't be a concern, as worst case scenario would be the knot rolling until it jammed against the carabiner clipped on the blown side. However, I doubt the knot would roll this far even under extreme loading (instead it would probably roll once then bind, if that), but to my knowledge no real good data exists as to what loads this might happen in the materials commonly used for an equalette (although there is quite a bit of data on how this behaves on ropes joined for rappel).

As far as a five inch extension "shock loading" the remaining anchor, as long as there is dynamic rope in the system somewhere (like between the equalette and the falling mass that caused the first piece to blow), this would add a very trivial amount of force to the remaining anchor (equivalent to the fall being 5 inches longer). At least when discussing systems with dynamic rope involved, the "shock loading" phenomenon is largely a myth.

bill413

May 7, 2009, 4:17 AM
Post #4 of 24 (2532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [james481] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think james provides a reasonable response.

Compared with some rigging systems where you can fall a meter or more when a leg of the anchor blows, 5 inches is not signicifant (unless, of course, that ledge is 4.75 inches below you....). There does not appear to be a way to simultaneously have smooth load distribution and absolutely zero extension if a point fails. So, we try & find the best compromise between them.

Strong - critically important
Equalized - important
Redundant - very important
No Extension - important

Others may disagree with my priorities here, but the SERENE (or equivalent) ideology is a guide for what you should approach - you may not be able to satisfy every item perfectly...but it's not a bad idea to try.

Aunor

May 7, 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #5 of 24 (2481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

* Strong - critically important
** Redundant - very important part of strong
*** Equalized - important part of creating redundant
**** No Extension - best pratice

(This post was edited by Aunor on May 7, 2009, 10:37 AM)

Terry2124

May 8, 2009, 4:18 AM
Post #6 of 24 (2346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:

Compared with some rigging systems where you can fall a meter or more when a leg of the anchor blows, 5 inches is not signicifant (unless, of course, that ledge is 4.75 inches below you....). There does not appear to be a way to simultaneously have smooth load distribution and absolutely zero extension if a point fails. So, we try & find the best compromise between them.

Equalized - important
No Extension - important

Others may disagree with my priorities here, but the SERENE (or equivalent) ideology is a guide for what you should approach - you may not be able to satisfy every item perfectly...but it's not a bad idea to try.

Absolutely, using SERENE is good practice, newer people should consider this a guide as you mentioned.

fishclimb

May 8, 2009, 3:33 PM
Post #7 of 24 (2309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Terry2124] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why not use a separate sling for each anchor, equalize, tie master point?

acorneau

May 8, 2009, 4:41 PM
Post #8 of 24 (2251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fishclimb] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fishclimb wrote:

If your direction of pull moves then you're loading only 1 piece of pro. In a properly constructed Equalette you will always be on at least 2 pieces of pro at all times.

bill413

May 8, 2009, 5:05 PM
Post #9 of 24 (2238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fishclimb wrote:
Because there are many times that trying to get just the right length set of slings to put your master point where you want it is way too much trouble / time / effort /material. When I'm building an anchor, I want something that is relatively quick to set up, while satisfying all my safety and appearance concerns. (You usually don't want your second coming up & saying "You let me climb on THAT?!?!" Usually it's much better to have them come up & say "Your anchor is a work of beauty!")

If one of the pieces is fairly separated from the others, slings may be involved. But usually I find it very quick to use an equalette or cordellete.

I once had a guide say "Would you like 20% more time for climbing?" ... "Build your anchors more efficiently."

patmay81

May 8, 2009, 5:36 PM
Post #10 of 24 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fishclimb wrote:
I do this quite a bit when belaying off bolted belays. I'm not to hesitant about loading two bolts independantly, and in most cases for bolted belays equalization is not life of death (I feel the flames coming already).
Any time I have self built anchor I equalize, but then again I usually have 4+ pieces on my natural anchors so a simple equalette doesn't cut it.

majid_sabet

May 8, 2009, 6:02 PM
Post #11 of 24 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:

Equalized - important
No Extension - important

FYI,in typical climber's anchor rigging, 5" blow is probably not a significant factor if your working rope is not that far out from the master anchor but , 5" blow in static rigging like high line, or long vertical rescue work can become an issue. For example, 5" blow on El cap where you got a single 1200 feet of fixed line can become several feet of drop at the other end. That is even with low stretch rope which can turn around and blow anchors on top.

acorneau

May 8, 2009, 6:05 PM
Post #12 of 24 (2178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
I do this quite a bit when belaying off bolted belays. I'm not to hesitant about loading two bolts independantly, and in most cases for bolted belays equalization is not life of death (I feel the flames coming already).

Bolted belays, sure, no big deal.

In reply to:
Any time I have self built anchor I equalize, but then again I usually have 4+ pieces on my natural anchors so a simple equalette doesn't cut it.

What? The Equalette is designed for 4-piece anchor systems:

Terry2124

May 9, 2009, 3:50 AM
Post #13 of 24 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
patmay81 wrote:

In reply to:

[image]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/ecjoe/equalette_4_2.jpg[/image]

The only thing in that pic that I would do differently is to reverse one of the biners so the gates are opposed.

brawa

May 9, 2009, 5:13 AM
Post #14 of 24 (2089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Terry2124] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to steal a thread, but don't think this question deserves it's own and this is a decently relevant place. I've been seeing these pictures of equalette riggings and keep wondering the same thing:

Why clip only one strand on the "masterpoint" with each 'biner?

I haven't read Long's book, and although I plan to (I loved Luebben's) I was wondering if someone could answer this beforehand.

zxcv

May 9, 2009, 5:21 AM
Post #15 of 24 (2083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brawa] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Brawa, if I remember correctly, the idea is to minimize the 'binding' that can occur with the twist in a sliding X. Evidently this creates friction and reduces dynamic equalization...
My own use of the sliding X and the alternative of attaching two biners to each non-twisted strand convinced me that there is something to this, though the material of the anchor was also relevant (skinny spectra slides easier even when twisted).

summerprophet

May 9, 2009, 5:23 AM
Post #16 of 24 (2083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
FYI,in typical climber's anchor rigging, 5" blow is probably not a significant factor if your working rope is not that far out from the master anchor but , 5" blow in static rigging like high line, or long vertical rescue work can become an issue. For example, 5" blow on El cap where you got a single 1200 feet of fixed line can become several feet of drop at the other end. That is even with low stretch rope which can turn around and blow anchors on top.
Majid, WTF are you talking about? Professional rigging is not climbing. Sure they both involve ropes, but PLEASE stop giving rigging advice to climbers looking for simple anchoring solutions.

If you were on my rescue team and were using self equalizing anchors rather than a fixed and focused node pt, you would soon find yourself getting a severe tongue lashing.

Oh and 1200 ft of static line would be a HELL of a lot more stretch than a few feet. Assuming the piece was weak and blew under a 1 kN load and you were using the lowest stretch ropes out there (PMI ez bend) you are still looking at a 40 to 50 foot bounce.

And these conclusions are just from little old me, a regular tech rigger. I am certain load calculations would have to modified for 1200' of rope, seeing as the static rope alone is loading the anchor at somewhere around 90 lbs force.

bill413

May 9, 2009, 5:27 AM
Post #17 of 24 (2082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brawa] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brawa wrote:
I hate to steal a thread, but don't think this question deserves it's own and this is a decently relevant place. I've been seeing these pictures of equalette riggings and keep wondering the same thing:

Why clip only one strand on the "masterpoint" with each 'biner?

I haven't read Long's book, and although I plan to (I loved Luebben's) I was wondering if someone could answer this beforehand.

Well...If you're going to clip both of the strands with one biner, you should use the "magic x" - so that both strands are involved. If you are using 2 biners, you're supposed to clip one to each single strand. My understanding is that if you clip both biners to both strands (in magic x) then they tend to bind up more & so you actually sacrifice some load distributions.

So...the standard advice is:
2 Biners: 1 on each strand (each is "contained" by other strand should one anchor fail)
1 Biner: use magic x configuration to get both strands distributing load in sliding x.

Either way, you have the belya/fall/anchor load distributed across 2 strands of the equalette.

bandycoot

May 9, 2009, 5:37 AM
Post #18 of 24 (2079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand the appeal of the 3-4 piece use of the equalette. I don't believe that the equalette effectively distributes the load beyond two pieces. That picture is a perfect example. The 2nd piece from the left probably has no load on it (look at the slight slack in the leg as it twists around the strand from the 1st piece on the left). With shock loading a relative myth when you're connected with a dynamic rope, I put my extra pieces in as back up to a two piece equalette system and don't try to get them equalized. It's obscenely faster, and I don't think there's a real trade off in safety.

Josh

Edit: Referring to picture in post 12.

(This post was edited by bandycoot on May 9, 2009, 5:39 AM)

majid_sabet

May 9, 2009, 5:48 AM
Post #19 of 24 (2069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
patmay81 wrote:

In reply to:

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 9, 2009, 6:23 AM)

bill413

May 9, 2009, 5:51 AM
Post #20 of 24 (2066 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bandycoot] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bandycoot wrote:
I don't understand the appeal of the 3-4 piece use of the equalette. I don't believe that the equalette effectively distributes the load beyond two pieces. That picture is a perfect example. The 2nd piece from the left probably has no load on it (look at the slight slack in the leg as it twists around the strand from the 1st piece on the left). With shock loading a relative myth when you're connected with a dynamic rope, I put my extra pieces in as back up to a two piece equalette system and don't try to get them equalized. It's obscenely faster, and I don't think there's a real trade off in safety.

Josh

I think that one of the great disservices to the community has been the use of the term "equalization." Most anchoring systems actually perform "distribution." The load on each piece of the anchor will not be equal except in uncommon circumstances. Rather, our systems should distribute the load onto the pieces in such a way that each piece feels less load than if the fall were directly on it.

That said, the equallette has the advantage of distributing the load between it's two sides, and adjusting to varying directions of pull.

majid_hunter

May 9, 2009, 6:01 AM
Post #21 of 24 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
acorneau wrote:
patmay81 wrote:

In reply to:

that is one of the most inefficient four legged anchor I have ever seen. the two side pros almost do nothing . very poorly constricted.

It's so poorly constricted, it's like it's boa constricted.

But in all seriousness, what the fuck are you talking about Majid? Besides the fact that it looks fine, when are you going to realize that most people don't whip out graphing calculators and tape measures every time they place pro? There is a big fucking difference between setting up rigging or doing what ever the fuck you do, and actual climbing.

tradrenn

May 9, 2009, 6:06 AM
Post #22 of 24 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_hunter] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, best user name ever.

majid_sabet

May 9, 2009, 6:29 AM
Post #23 of 24 (2036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_hunter] Long's Equalette... am I missing something? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_hunter wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
acorneau wrote:
patmay81 wrote:

In reply to:

that is one of the most inefficient four legged anchor I have ever seen. the two side pros almost do nothing . very poorly constricted.

It's so poorly constricted, it's like it's boa constricted.

But in all seriousness, what the fuck are you talking about Majid? Besides the fact that it looks fine, when are you going to realize that most people don't whip out graphing calculators and tape measures every time they place pro? There is a big fucking difference between setting up rigging or doing what ever the fuck you do, and actual climbing.

Budhha says;

take a big deep breath and let it go

so repeat after me

I will be your bitc*
I will be your bitc*

Terry2124

May 10, 2009, 4:46 AM
Post #24 of 24 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
bandycoot wrote:

Josh

I think that one of the great disservices to the community has been the use of the term "equalization." Most anchoring systems actually perform "distribution." The load on each piece of the anchor will not be equal except in uncommon circumstances. Rather, our systems should distribute the load onto the pieces in such a way that each piece feels less load than if the fall were directly on it.

That said, the equallette has the advantage of distributing the load between it's two sides, and adjusting to varying directions of pull.

Very good point Bill.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook