First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner camhead

May 12, 2009, 3:02 AM
Post #26 of 40 (500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] Any instrumentalists? [guitar] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh Jesus fucking Christ, Fresh, Robb... it's spelled BERKLEE! BERKLEE SCHOOL OF MUSIC. Unless you are talking about the California University, in which case I will apologize.

Partner camhead

May 12, 2009, 3:05 AM
Post #27 of 40 (500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Any instrumentalists? [guitar] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:

yeah, everyone has their own path, and as long as you enjoy it, whats not to like?

and I've got to disagree here. There's a HELL of a lot not to like. Most guitarists "enjoy it." And they are thoroughly awful to listen to.

No instrument is played by so many so terribly.

robbovius

May 12, 2009, 1:10 PM
Post #28 of 40 (492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Any instrumentalists? [guitar] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Oh Jesus fucking Christ, Fresh, Robb... it's spelled BERKLEE! BERKLEE SCHOOL OF MUSIC. Unless you are talking about the California University, in which case I will apologize.

yeah I know. I live here ;-)

robbovius

May 12, 2009, 1:23 PM
Post #29 of 40 (487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
robbovius wrote:

yeah, everyone has their own path, and as long as you enjoy it, whats not to like?

and I've got to disagree here. There's a HELL of a lot not to like. Most guitarists "enjoy it." And they are thoroughly awful to listen to.

blah blah blah, stuff it, ya snob. you'd make a terrible teacher. ;-) playing guitar, is first for the enjoyment of the guitarist, not whoever might be listening.

What you - the teachter - thinks doesn't matter. I have some students who will never be "good", but they love playing and it gives them joy, and in those moments when it sounds good to their ears, I can see their happiness..."yeah! I did it!" I always present their lessons from a position of positivity, pointing out what strengths that they do have, and focussing on those.

fresh

May 12, 2009, 2:52 PM
Post #30 of 40 (481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, sad that I also live next to boston.

Partner camhead

May 12, 2009, 4:37 PM
Post #31 of 40 (475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Any instrumentalists? [guitar] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
camhead wrote:
robbovius wrote:

blah blah blah, stuff it, ya snob. you'd make a terrible teacher. ;-) playing guitar, is first for the enjoyment of the guitarist, not whoever might be listening.

What you - the teachter - thinks doesn't matter. I have some students who will never be "good", but they love playing and it gives them joy, and in those moments when it sounds good to their ears, I can see their happiness..."yeah! I did it!" I always present their lessons from a position of positivity, pointing out what strengths that they do have, and focussing on those.

... and the best climber is the one having the most fun, I know.

Actually, I taught guitar for a couple years, and was a terrible teacher for beginners.

It's funny, I'm coming from a background of 10 years of pretty theory-technique intensive jazz guitar training. But for the last sis months I have barely touched my guitars, and have been teaching myself piano. Though I am basically playing "what sounds good," my musical theory ad ear training is helping a LOT.

robbovius

May 12, 2009, 5:55 PM
Post #32 of 40 (472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] Any instrumentalists? [guitar] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
haha, sad that I also live next to boston.

I know, and we both misspelled it ;-)

(This post was edited by robbovius on May 12, 2009, 6:00 PM)

robbovius

May 12, 2009, 6:28 PM
Post #33 of 40 (461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:

... and the best climber is the one having the most fun, I know.

well subjectivity IS objectivity.. ;-)

uhoh

May 12, 2009, 7:16 PM
Post #34 of 40 (451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
robbovius wrote:

And your advice to such novices would be . . . ? Are there certain things you would recommend I learn or practice?

Partner camhead

May 12, 2009, 8:20 PM
Post #35 of 40 (447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
camhead wrote:
robbovius wrote:

And your advice to such novices would be . . . ? Are there certain things you would recommend I learn or practice?

I'm not giving advice, I'm complaining.

But if I had to say one thing, it would be to get solid rhythm. You can afford occasional flubs on notes and such, but once you lose the beat, the whole song falls apart.

hafilax

May 12, 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #36 of 40 (444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
robbovius wrote:

I believe the human voice wins most abused instrument by a long shot especially after sitting for an hour in a karaoke room with someone who is completely tone deaf and doesn't know it.

I was complemented for my playing at the Squamish campground. The guy said he usually hates people playing guitar in that setting but that he enjoyed my playing. Cool

I have to admit that I never learn entire songs, just the parts I like. When I'm noodling around I rarely play more than just my favourite riff bits. Probably because I typically figure them out from memory.

majid_sabet

May 13, 2009, 5:44 AM
Post #37 of 40 (441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

after my doc put my finger together, I promised myself to get a guitar and two months later, I got low end Yamaha guitar. I am teaching myself and pretty much got my hand on the first two skinny strings but need to work my way up.

I love the instrument and more I play with it, the more I like it. I feel, any musical instrument is a bridge in to a spiritual world. My favorite instruments are not guitars but dotar or setar Two-Three string tars that is in used in eastern countries between middle east and india.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 13, 2009, 5:06 PM)

Partner camhead

May 13, 2009, 1:06 PM
Post #38 of 40 (431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Any instrumentalists? [guitar] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whoa! Billy Idol was in c4? That is awesome. Is/was he a climber?

acorneau

May 13, 2009, 7:40 PM
Post #39 of 40 (411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Any instrumentalists? [guitar] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
I believe the human voice wins most abused instrument by a long shot

As a full-time Mastering Engineer, I can say that musical instrument "abuse" comes in all sorts of forms.
Crazy

hafilax

May 13, 2009, 8:56 PM
Post #40 of 40 (407 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Any instrumentalists? [guitar] [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
hafilax wrote:
I believe the human voice wins most abused instrument by a long shot

As a full-time Mastering Engineer, I can say that musical instrument "abuse" comes in all sorts of forms.
Crazy
Masochist! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook