Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
need help deciding where to spend my last trip to arkansas!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

louisiana_climber

May 18, 2009, 3:53 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1983 views)
Shortcut

need help deciding where to spend my last trip to arkansas!  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

im moving at the beginning of june, and want to spend my birthday in arkansas. the only problem is i dont know where my last arkansas experience should be. im looking for a bouldering specific area basically. any help would be great!

seanymak

Sep 29, 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [louisiana_climber] need help deciding where to spend my last trip to arkansas! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well that depends on your previous experience in the state and what you prefer in a crag. Do you like amenities like a toilet seat and a water source or do you enjoy getting out in the woods and roughing it. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Usually more amenities means more people especially in nice weather. Right now Horseshoe canyon Ranch comes to mind when it comes to bouldering but I am someone who would say give me less problems if it means less people. Fern Gully is also really cool. If it were me and I am a rope climver I would start at Sam's Throne and expand from there becasue there are many other crags within 30 mins of Sam's. Sam's has some bouldering and it is where King Lion is located if you can climb double digit boulder problems. Right now the weather in Arkansas is perfect. I am assuming that you are not from Arkansas and I will tell you what I tell every out of stater. Horseshoe is great but try to get away from the crowds and experience some of the lesser traveled crags. Although they are lesser traveled don't be mistaken to think that this means lesser quality they are just lesser known. Especially when it comes to sport it seems like if you get away from horseshoe then you will find more of a concentration of truely classic climbs. At sam's if it is bolted then it is going to be good trust me at Sam's bolts mean primo sport climbing. If you have any specific questions just let me know and I would reccommend checking out the new guidebook by Cole Finnell.

acorneau

Sep 30, 2009, 3:09 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seanymak] need help deciding where to spend my last trip to arkansas! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seanymak wrote:
Well that depends on your previous experience in the state and what you prefer in a crag. Do you like amenities like a toilet seat and a water source or do you enjoy getting out in the woods and roughing it. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Usually more amenities means more people especially in nice weather. Right now Horseshoe canyon Ranch comes to mind when it comes to bouldering but I am someone who would say give me less problems if it means less people. Fern Gully is also really cool. If it were me and I am a rope climver I would start at Sam's Throne and expand from there becasue there are many other crags within 30 mins of Sam's. Sam's has some bouldering and it is where King Lion is located if you can climb double digit boulder problems. Right now the weather in Arkansas is perfect. I am assuming that you are not from Arkansas and I will tell you what I tell every out of stater. Horseshoe is great but try to get away from the crowds and experience some of the lesser traveled crags. Although they are lesser traveled don't be mistaken to think that this means lesser quality they are just lesser known. Especially when it comes to sport it seems like if you get away from horseshoe then you will find more of a concentration of truely classic climbs. At sam's if it is bolted then it is going to be good trust me at Sam's bolts mean primo sport climbing. If you have any specific questions just let me know and I would reccommend checking out the new guidebook by Cole Finnell.

Psst... check the date of the original post.

Shocked

Crazy

Sly

seanymak

Sep 30, 2009, 4:49 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] need help deciding where to spend my last trip to arkansas! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Psst... may be there is another person who regularly views this website that has a similar question.

Psst.. may be you should quit spending time critiquing the posts of other members and instead post helpful information that others might find beneficial.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook