Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

May 27, 2009, 4:45 PM
Post #1 of 28 (6407 views)
Shortcut

Anchor Failure, Double climbing fatality, Columbia Gorge, April 5-2009
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

A state investigation of a rock-climbing accident that claimed the life of a Washougal man and his sister-in-law has determined they fell due to errors in placing metal stoppers in cracks and attaching them to their webbing.

edit for title correction

http://www.columbian.com/...orge+blamed+on+error

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on May 29, 2009, 1:18 AM)

hemp22

May 28, 2009, 3:29 AM
Post #14 of 28 (5492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Deaths of rock climbers in Gorge blamed on error [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just want to interject to add some comments about this location for people who aren't familiar with it:
The climbing at horsethief butte is approached from the top of the cliff - so it's common to set TR anchors and then hike down to the base of the cliff to begin climbing. TR'ing is far more common than leading at this location.
There are no bolts allowed, so the TR anchors are built from gear.

I do think Majid & some people missed some relevant tidbits from the story: the two were in the process of building an anchor - they had put the first piece in & were connected to it. A slip or something occurred before they got themselves connected to the 2nd piece of the anchor & before they got in the 3rd piece.
The more experienced climber was instructing the newer climber on placing the gear. She was not a guide.

Majid's death zone comments would imply that they should have built a separate full anchor > 2 meters from the edge of the cliff and been anchored to that before going close to the cliff edge to build their TR anchor. This approach is definitely not common at this location.

as to the rest of all the bickering about what's relevant to post & not, feel free to continue blathering amongst yourselves.
[Edit to add: back when this thread was 2 pages long, my comments above made a lot more sense...the thread was trimmed, so, if it doesn't make sense, just ignore it]

(This post was edited by hemp22 on Jun 3, 2009, 5:39 AM)

majid_sabet

May 28, 2009, 5:17 AM
Post #16 of 28 (5447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hemp22] Deaths of rock climbers in Gorge blamed on error [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

hemp22 wrote:
I just want to interject to add some comments about this location for people who aren't familiar with it:
The climbing at horsethief butte is approached from the top of the cliff - so it's common to set TR anchors and then hike down to the base of the cliff to begin climbing. TR'ing is far more common than leading at this location.
There are no bolts allowed, so the TR anchors are built from gear.

I do think Majid & some people missed some relevant tidbits from the story: the two were in the process of building an anchor - they had put the first piece in & were connected to it. A slip or something occurred before they got themselves connected to the 2nd piece of the anchor & before they got in the 3rd piece.
The more experienced climber was instructing the newer climber on placing the gear. She was not a guide.

Majid's death zone comments would imply that they should have built a separate full anchor > 2 meters from the edge of the cliff and been anchored to that before going close to the cliff edge to build their TR anchor. This approach is definitely not common at this location.

as to the rest of all the bickering about what's relevant to post & not, feel free to continue blathering amongst yourselves.

two meter death zone means, you clip if your closer than two meter to the edge. if you need to run a rope 100 meter to the tree in the back of the edge then you should do it if the edge is 102 meter from the last anchor.

regards

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook