Post #1 of 41 (26358 views)
Shortcut

RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde)
Report this Post
Can't Post

from supertopo by mooch:
http://www.supertopo.com/...c_id=880640&tn=0
In reply to:
Dear friends, it is my deepest regret, with tears in my eyes, to tell you all that Bruce Bindner (aka 'Brutus Of Wyde') has passed from this life and onto the next. Bruce was on his way tonight to meet me to climb Castle Rock Spire in Sequoia National Park when his car went off the road and was killed instantly. As I sit here emotionally exhausted, I find it hard to put into words the order they need to be. Having a good friend taken from you so quickly feels outright unfair and unexplainable. Bruce was the kind of guy who would quite literally give the shirt of his back and give it to you if you needed.....then offer his trousers! Bruce's heart was always filled with compassion, a giving attitude and the wit that went beyond human comprehension. If you were down and out, he would cast miles of smiles and humorous 'one-liners' to pull you out of a downward spiral. In the time that I got to know him, he never once asked for anything back in return, always defining this as "the way we do it at the Old Climbers Home". He has touched so many lives along the way and left his mark within this community, leaving a deep imprint with those he shared his life. My heart goes out to some specific folks tonight......Em (aka 'Nurse Ratchet') and Craig (aka 'Dingus'), knowing the pain they must feel from such a loss. I certainly miss him too! But I also celebrate his life and honor a man of men, a steward of this community and the heart and soul of obscurities. Brutus......rest peacefully, my brother.

salamanizer

Jun 14, 2009, 5:57 AM
Post #2 of 41 (26343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No words.

blondgecko

Jun 14, 2009, 8:16 AM
Post #3 of 41 (26303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, man.

Frown

FrownFrown

I only knew (of) him from his online persona, but everything I saw said he was a great guy. I'm so very sorry.

coolcat83

Jun 14, 2009, 1:07 PM
Post #4 of 41 (26248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My condolences to his family and friends. I only knew him from his posts online.

reno

Jun 14, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #5 of 41 (26242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We shall remember them."

In Pace Requiescat, Brutus. You were loved, and you are missed.

Partner epoch

Jun 14, 2009, 1:50 PM
Post #6 of 41 (26223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh. My.

My sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

bill413

Jun 14, 2009, 3:20 PM
Post #7 of 41 (26191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like others, I only knew him from online. But I remember his posts for years. A distinctive presence. A good writer. He will be missed, and my condolences to all who knew him.

Bill
Frown

moose_droppings

Jun 14, 2009, 3:41 PM
Post #8 of 41 (26167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was terribly saddened when I read this news yesterday. A hardman that truly will be missed by many, many people.

My heartfelt condolences to his wife, his family, and his many close friends.

Hang in there Dingus.

sandstone

Jun 14, 2009, 4:22 PM
Post #9 of 41 (26131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My deepest condolences to family and friends.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Brutus, but I have enjoyed the wisdom and humor of his writings for many many years.

Partner robdotcalm

Jun 14, 2009, 4:31 PM
Post #10 of 41 (26121 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sandstone] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I only knew Brutus through the virtual world of the internet, but his writings made a real life impact in how I climb and in the pleasure I found in reading about his experiences.

My sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Dingus, be strong and let us strengthen one another. We support you in our thoughts at this time of sorrow.

Rob.calm

dlintz

Jun 14, 2009, 7:14 PM
Post #11 of 41 (26052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My deepest condolences to all who knew Bruce (especially you Dingus). He will be missed greatly.

d.

sungam

Jun 14, 2009, 8:47 PM
Post #12 of 41 (25999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A sad day for the climbing community.

Partner macherry

Jun 14, 2009, 11:02 PM
Post #13 of 41 (25940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robdotcalm wrote:
I only knew Brutus through the virtual world of the internet, but his writings made a real life impact in how I climb and in the pleasure I found in reading about his experiences.

My sincere condolences to his friends and family.

Dingus, be strong and let us strengthen one another. We support you in our thoughts at this time of sorrow.

Rob.calm

rob summed up my thoughts and feelings quite succinctly.

condolences to friends and families. the climbing community has lost another member....a sad time indeed!!

Adk

Jun 15, 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #14 of 41 (25887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This sucks........I'm saddened by this news.

curt

Jun 15, 2009, 1:29 AM
Post #15 of 41 (25875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is truly awful news. Both the real and virtual worlds of climbing are greatly diminished by his passing.

Curt

Partner camhead

Jun 15, 2009, 1:56 AM
Post #16 of 41 (25844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damn, terrible. He didn't post here too much lately, but I will always remember him as one of hardcore oldschoolers from this site, and in real like, both from his posts and from dingus's stories.

Dingus, if you read this, I'm way sorry for your loss. This has been a terrible week or two.

pfwein

Jun 15, 2009, 2:08 AM
Post #17 of 41 (25836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also only knew him from his posts, starting back with rec.climbing. I'm deeply saddened to hear of his passing and hope his loved ones can take some comfort in reflecting on the amazing adventures he had. While I have no idea if this even crossed his mind, he was a great role model for all of us who aspire to keep going up rocks.

flamingogrl

Jun 15, 2009, 2:29 AM
Post #18 of 41 (25821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello All-
I'm not a climber, but I knew Bruce. I am also very good friends with his former wife, Betty Baker-Bindner and his daughter, Evelyn. Please don't forget them in your thoughts, either. He and his wife were very good friends with Betty, and included Betty and Evelyn in their lives. I met him a few times and had no idea that he was so revered in the climbing community. It is truly a tragedy

aerili

Jun 15, 2009, 3:42 AM
Post #19 of 41 (25762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamingogrl] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Into my heart's night
Along a narrow way
I groped; and lo! the light.
An infinite land of day."

--Rumi

I am so saddened to hear this. Frown

Partner abe_ascends

Jun 15, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #20 of 41 (25758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, my condolences. I enjoyed his stories, just like those from Dingus. My heart goes out to him and his loved ones.

dlintz

Jun 15, 2009, 4:18 AM
Post #21 of 41 (25738 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I remembered a story Dingus told that included his buddy.

dingus wrote:
I'll add one more story Shocka...

I camped in a high mountain meadow with two dear friends of mine, Brutus and Nurse Ratchet. We were there to climb a mountain spire and that's in fact what we did.

In our little camp we found an ancient tatter of webbing, on a lower pitch of our FA we found a bolt. Fred Beckey? Warren Harding? Quien Sabe? The place has no formal documentation, we could find no reference ANYWHERE to the place, to the spire, to the climb.

We haven't found one bit more about the place since either.

Before us ranchers frequented the meadow. The petrified cow paddies attested to that. Before them? Basque sheepherders, the elaborate carvings in the aspen groves on the approach attested to that?

Before them? Paiute. Shoshonie. Others. How do we know this?

Idling in camp one day Brutus roamed around, inquisitive as is his endlessly restless nature. I paid him no mind, instead focusing on nursing the burning red coal in my pipe bowl.

After a bit Brutus walked up to me with a twinkle in his eye, hand outstretched. Therein were shards of obsidian arrowheads, several of them.

"Found em in just 20 minutes," he announced with satisfaction and pleasure. They were things of beauty!

Black glass.... isn't available in those parts. The nearest place to find it is around the Mono Lake area, many, MANY miles away to the (north,south,east,west). Mono Lake was the land of the Fly Eaters.

They were called the Fly Eaters by the Yosemite indians because they ate a sweet concoction made of fly larve that grew on the salty brine of the lake. Sweets are hard to come by in the basin and range country and they were highly sought after.

They traded Fly Eater sweets and obsidian glass for arrowheads with the Yosemite paiutes, who in turbn had to offer acorn mash, bread and pine nuts. This transSierra trade went on right up to Chief Tenaya's day, when the White Man over ran the valley and the Mariposa "Battalion" drove out the last of the indians with cannons.

John Walker had benefitted from the hospitality of the Fly Eaters, so too had Fremont and Kit Carson. Those indians traded their obsidian gleaned from the Mono craters up and down the Californias.

And here, many miles and a couple hundred years apart, Brutus produced the shards of their handiwork.

He searched some more and found some more, soon we joined in and shortly we had a dozen or more arrowheads in hand. We lined them up and admired them.

I can't speak for my friends, but I silently imagined what it had been like in that same meadow 200 years gone by, before western europeans had changed everything. I imagined it wasn't so different really, not at the human level.

I imagine those arrowhead traders were men and women just like us, with hopes and dreams and aspirations. They wanted the best for thir kids. They pined for the soft touch of a woman, the comfort of home, the sated feeling of a full belly, the stern but wise leadership of a man.

They appreciated the beauty of the alpine glow the same as you or I might, the smell of pine and juniper on the air and as arrowhead shards on the highest peaks attest, they climbed too, surely for the pure joy of it as well as the views.

They're all gone now, every last one of them. They live on in memory alone and that day in the meadow they lived on in mine. I tipped my stream-cold beer to their memory and felt a connection, despite my western ways, mild buzz and the sordid history that seperated us. I felt very close to them, because of those shards, coupled with my knowledge of their history. For that hstorical knowledge I am indebted to others wise enough to save it, brave enough to fight for it, kind enough to share it. Its right here on the web now!

A bit later in the afternoon, satisified he'd found all there was to be found, Brutus gathered up those arrowheads, some intact, most of them broken - a magnificent collection really, gained with an hour's or so work.

He walked out into the clearing and one by one, and in random directions, he gently tossed them back from whence they came. It was like he was tossing ashes into the wind.

Himilayan prayer flags adorned out camp (they really did) and they fluttered in the wind as he performed his ritual. I just sat there, silent witness, in awe, with his power, with his imagination, with his respect. It still brings a tear to my eye to think about it. RESPECT....

Brutus walked back into camp, noticed me watching him. He nodded - "that way someone else will get to experience this," he offered as an explanation, without smile, without guile, and he walked off to find Nurse Ratchet. Dinner time was approaching and the two of them are wilderness gourmets - there were chores to be done.

That little scene - it was real man. It was real and among the most poignant, the most imacting, the more REVERENTIAL of my whole life.

Imagine instead, crushing those shards under boot in the haste to get to another climb...

DMT

d.

quiteatingmysteak

Jun 15, 2009, 4:38 AM
Post #22 of 41 (25725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] RIP Bruce Bindner (Brutus of Wyde) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I first read that a long time ago (or so it seems).

Respect... more than just that. Understanding and compassion among other things. Its hard to get to know someone when you've missed your chance. Or is it?

The mountains have called him home. Someday not far off we will all answer their call and be greeted with open arms by those lost, but only lost temporarily, and how foolish we are to believe that we lost them. They were waiting for us, all along, and these mountains aren't to be climbed, but are to be LIVED.

jaybro

Jun 15, 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #23 of 41 (25661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bruce was as vivid a person as ever lived.

A snapshot;
I was able to spend a week this spring with Brutus and Em in in Josh, we were all stationed at the Fish™ compound. One of the days we went out to Trhobbing Gristle, (a .12 OW TR, recently led with one fall by Shanti) which he attempted to climb inverted, I have video! That night might have been the night he and Em fixed the killer vegetarian Piaia for us....

We are not meeting any one quite like him any time soon.

Thanks, Bruce!

markc

Jun 15, 2009, 4:02 PM
Post #24 of 41 (25527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also only knew Brutus online. His humor, his humility, and his passion for life came through. I'm incredibly sorry to hear of his passing. I can only imagine how it's impacting his family and friends. You all have my deepest condolences.

acorneau

Jun 15, 2009, 7:43 PM
Post #25 of 41 (25410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't know Brutus except in passing references here on the forums and on this short YouTube clip setting an anchor on a climb on Hoffman Mountian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjEDvKFz92A

My condolences to friends and family.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook