Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

gunkiemike

Feb 13, 2008, 7:14 PM
Post #51 of 61 (6300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wow, more creative quoting here. Jay, YOU were the first to use the term "friction" in this thread. If it were about friction, I imagine we'd be hearing the manufacturers citing stitch tension and webbing surface finish rather than stitch count and thread tensile strength (see moof's post).

In re-reading this thread, I think knudenoggin summarized it well: you don't need to make the splice stronger than the webbing itself, just strong enough so it breaks elsewhere when it's tested, like at the test fixture pins.

edited for decorum-in-the-forum.

(This post was edited by gunkiemike on Feb 13, 2008, 8:12 PM)

ddt

Feb 13, 2008, 7:32 PM
Post #52 of 61 (6291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let's stay focused on the debate and not make this personal people, even if you disagree with someone's style. Everyone has a right to debate their own points and challenge the others.

(I don't see any personal attacks or deliberate provokation in the thread so far, but I'd hate for it to devolve to that point.)

DDT

(This post was edited by ddt on Feb 13, 2008, 7:32 PM)

jt512

Feb 13, 2008, 9:04 PM
Post #53 of 61 (6257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Wow, more creative quoting here. Jay, YOU were the first to use the term "friction" in this thread.

You're right. I was the first to use the word friction as a succinct way to express your awkward phrase "sewn so tightly together that they won't separate." If you don't want credit for realizing that you're describing friction, so be it.

In reply to:
If it were about friction, I imagine we'd be hearing the manufacturers citing stitch tension and webbing surface finish rather than stitch count and thread tensile strength (see moof's post).

Well, now you're agreeing with me, and disagreeing with your previous claim, since I have been saying all along that friction is probably unimportant, whereas you had implied (whether you realize or not) that friction is important.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 13, 2008, 9:06 PM)

gunkiemike

Feb 13, 2008, 9:15 PM
Post #54 of 61 (6248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:
Wow, more creative quoting here. Jay, YOU were the first to use the term "friction" in this thread.

You're right. I was the first to use the word friction as a succinct way to express your awkward phrase "sewn so tightly together that they won't separate." If you don't want credit for realizing that you're describing friction, so be it.

In reply to:
If it were about friction, I imagine we'd be hearing the manufacturers citing stitch tension and webbing surface finish rather than stitch count and thread tensile strength (see moof's post).

Well, now you're agreeing with me, and disagreeing with your previous claim, since I have been saying all along that friction is probably unimportant, whereas you had implied (whether you realize or not) that friction is important.

Jay

Jeesis F'n Cripes...there's no end to your making up quotes, is there? I never said "tightly", let alone the rest of what you put there in quotation marks, so if that's where you INFERRED anything to do with friction, it's all in your head. Fercryinoutloud, I can nail a couple greased boards together with a few hundred nails and you'll never pull them apart lengthwise, but friction ain't got nothing to do with that either.

Anyway, I've said my peace - I'm gone. You can quote me as saying you were right all along if it'll make you happy.

stymingersfink

Feb 13, 2008, 9:48 PM
Post #55 of 61 (6240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Fercryinoutloud, I can nail a couple greased boards together with a few hundred nails and you'll never pull them apart lengthwise, but friction ain't got nothing to do with that either.

Point, Set, Thread.

jt512

Feb 13, 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #56 of 61 (6226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
jt512 wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:

In reply to:

Jay

Jeesis F'n Cripes...there's no end to your making up quotes, is there? I never said "tightly", let alone the rest of what you put there in quotation marks, so if that's where you INFERRED anything to do with friction, it's all in your head.

Yes, actually, you did say "tightly":

gunkiemike wrote:
OK, so maybe my choice of the word "fuse" made you think of "one piece" of material, but that's silly. Webbing is a mass of thousands of interwoven filaments. Two webbings sewn so tightly together that they won't separate under the greatest stress is now 2n thousand filaments acting together. Do you really have a problem with that being much stronger?

So, yes, I indeed inferred friction from that, because that is precisely what you implied, whether you realize it or not.

In reply to:
Fercryinoutloud, I can nail a couple greased boards together with a few hundred nails and you'll never pull them apart lengthwise, but friction ain't got nothing to do with that either.

Right, and why won't they come apart? Because the nails are stronger than the wood (we presume). And the strength of the nails does not depend on how tightly the pieces of wood are nailed together. Hence (except for some torque on the nails), the strength of the joint does not depend in an important way on how "tightly" the boards are nailed together. Rather, as I have been arguing from the start, the strength of the join is limited by the lesser of the strength of the joining material and the material being joined.

Youhave completely contradicted your position at the start of this thread wherin you opined that the tightness of the joint was an important determinant of the strength of the joint, in favor of the position I took from the start of this thread. What is unfortunate is that you are completely oblivious to your turnaround.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 13, 2008, 11:46 PM)

jt512

Feb 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #57 of 61 (6222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:

Point, Set, Thread.

Try actually following people's arguments before you decide who has "won" it.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Feb 13, 2008, 11:42 PM)

knudenoggin

Feb 19, 2008, 4:39 PM
Post #58 of 61 (6163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Two webbings sewn so tightly together that they won't separate under the greatest stress is now 2n thousand filaments acting together. Do you really have a problem with that being much stronger?

Again, where I have trouble is seeing how the tension running through the
(single-strand) material's 1n thousand filaments is transferred into those
2nd set of filaments without some INefficiency--i.e., loss of strength.

Here is a snippet of testing to directly answer the OP with a resounding
"Yes!" and show that knots were stronger than (some) bar tacks:

In reply to:
[from Tom Moyer at www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/pull_tests_11_98.html ]
Test Methods

We used a vehicle winch on a Hummvee to apply forces. A second Hummvee was initially used as an anchor. However, with an end-to-end pull, and with all four wheels locked, we were able to drag both vehicles across the concrete floor with 5000 lbs force. (good number to know if you use vehicles as anchors.) We ended up anchoring one vehicle to a tank (yes - really) and the other to eyebolts mounted in the wall. A Sensotec load cell was used to measure forces. It is calibrated internally with a shunt resistor.

Results

11/18 Test #1:
Pull an old 9/16" tubular web sling to failure. This sling was found girth hitched around a tree on Mt. Olympus and had obvious burn marks where ropes had been pulled through it. The sling was loaded with an end-to-end pull on the loop.

Result: Material failure at one of the burn marks at 4410 lbs.

11/18 Test #2:
Pull an old 1" tubular web sling to failure. This sling was found tied around a tree on Mt. Olympus. It had no obvious burn marks on it, but it has to be assumed that at least one rope had been pulled through it. The sling was cut off and retied with a water knot. It was loaded with an end-to-end pull on the loop.

Result: Material failure in the middle of the sling (presumably at an unseen burn) at 4300 lbs.

11/18 Test #3:
Pull a new 1" tubular sewn web sling to failure. One of our members sewed the sling on his home machine with a random stitching pattern (for testing purposes only!) The sling was loaded with an end-to-end pull on the loop.

Result: Failure of the stitching at 5260 lbs.

11/23 Test #3

Repeat of 11/18 Test #3
Result: Failure of the stitching at 5920 lbs.

11/18 Test #4
Pull a new 1" tubular sewn web sling to failure. The sling was sewn professionally with 5 bar tacks. The sling was loaded with an end-to-end pull on the loop.

Result: Failure of the stitching at 4720 lbs.

11/23 Test #2
Repeat of 11/18 Test #4 prof.sewing
Result: Failure of the stitching at 4730 lbs.

11/18 Test #5
Pull a new 1" tubular web sling to failure. The sling was tied with a water knot and loaded with an end-to-end pull on the loop.

Result: Material failure in the knot at 4980 lbs.

11/18 Test #6
Pull a new 1" tubular web sling to failure. The sling was tied with a [grapevine bend]and loaded with an end-to-end pull on the loop.

Result: Material failure at the bend over the shackle at 6210 lbs.

---------------------------
Discussion:
The relatively high breaking strength of the two old and burned slings surprised me. Nevertheless, don't expect to see me rapping off a single old sling any time soon. I was also surprised that the home sewing job outperformed the professional bar tacking - and that the bar tacked slings were so weak. I have always been told that sewn slings are stronger than tied ones.

The sling tied with a water knot failed at 4980 lbs. If the two sides are loaded equally, each side carries 2490 lbs of tension. The CMC Rope Rescue Manual claims a 36% strength reduction for a water knot in webbing. Mountain Search and Rescue Techniques also lists a 36% strength reduction, although in nylon rope. If these are correct, the webbing has a material strength of 3890 lbs - very close to the 4000 lb rating usually assumed for 1" webbing.

The sling tied with a [Grapevine Bend] was the strongest of all slings. It is notable that the sling did not fail at the knot.
Re "did not fail at the knot", we must understand that upon this great
tension the knot yielded significant material into its side of the sling,
and thus created an imbalance at the pins and in any case likely made
the unknotted side sustain somewhat greater load. Divided evenly, half
of 6210 is 3105 per side; maybe the actual split was, say, 3300 / 2900?
(tape strength approx. 3900?)

*kN*

frogman21

Feb 19, 2008, 7:27 PM
Post #59 of 61 (6155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont know if any one has looked into this but the tree service industry uses webbing slings, in speed line aplications and under severe loads. I have tested the limits in this line of work and I know that the stitch is the first thing to go if you are loading the sling on any of the loops as uposed to end to end.. Anyway just some thought that you may look at all of the aplications slings are now used for.Wink[

sixleggedinsect

Jun 16, 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #60 of 61 (5494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [renneberg] bar tack failure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was archive-browsing and just found this thread. good material and a lot of potential. Can we bring it back?

renneberg wrote:
Bar tack climbing webbing with 138 thread... Not 69.
double fishermans is strongest. Box with X next...

renneberg- where does this come from?! i want to know!

slacklinejoe wrote:
It's actually pretty simple. Box tacks are technically stronger because they distort the natural weave of the webbing less and spread their load bearing nature over a larger area. The reason they aren't used in our applications is that to get enough stitches to maintain strength will require a large area of the sling for sewing as well as increase labor (and thus prices). It would also make the sewn joint 5 x larger, thus making it more bulky, stiff and unmanagable.

Industrial slings are sewn with cordage, not standard thread. This cordage when used in 1" or smaller webbing would distort the weave. It has a much higher tensile strength 30+ lbs so you need far fewer stitches. Together, that makes it practical on large items to use a box tack.

slacklinejoe-

where does the 5x number come from? is the 'distortion' of the weave something i could be taught to see by eye? how significant is it? (in terms of potential strength loss in the host material)

moof wrote:
At the first order, say just putting in a dozen stitches the literature says you get about 2-2.5X the threads tensile strength per stitch (due to loading in shear, and there being two strands of thread in cross section).

moof- where is this strength estimate from (the 'literature').?

crackers wrote:
My office is next to that of the world's most advanced parachute manufacturer, I'm going to wander over there and ask a few questions. But it's not a priority for me, and my wife is having surgery on Thursday, so I'll get around to it when I do. I do know a bit about sewing standards and I do manufacture critical application materials in webbing and in fabric.

If you really want to find out everything there is to know about sling construction, try researching the US Military's voluminous experimentation in ways to put webbing together for climbing slings and a plethora of other applications.

crackers- where can i find the us mil research? i dug a lot of old rocket and parachute manuals out of my library, but never found a single thing that directly addressed the strength of tacks and boxes and whatnot. can you get me started?

did you ever get to chat with the folks across the road?

moof

Jun 20, 2009, 3:51 AM
Post #61 of 61 (5416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sixleggedinsect] bar tack failure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
moof- where is this strength estimate from (the 'literature').?

I went back and found the reference, and I was wrong (and I edited my old post). On Rope (page 239) says 1.8x multiplier, so 100 stitches with 11 lb #69 thread would break at roughly ~1980 lbs if the stitching were the weak point (~3960 lbs if part of a loop).

http://www.amazon.com/...ellers/dp/1879961059

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook