Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Summer Outdoor Retailer Thread (July 21-24!)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

vegastradguy

Jun 14, 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #1 of 64 (5613 views)
Shortcut

Summer Outdoor Retailer Thread (July 21-24!)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks, its that time of year again- well, almost anyway- the folks at the Outdoor Retailer show have moved the summer show up by almost a month, which lets me leave the heat of Las Vegas during the nasty days of july!

At any rate, we're off to the show as usual, meeting with the usual suspects. I'm making appointments now and have appointments with or expect to meet with:

BD
Petzl
Acopa
Sterling Rope
Mammut
Metolius
Rab
Jetboil
Osprey
Buff
Joshua Tree Products
Big Agnes
La Sportiva
Patagonia Footwear
Edelrid
Trango
Five Ten
Sierra Designs
Oboz
Bridgedale
Wild Country
DMM
The boys @ Totem Cams
Cilogear
Evolv
and a bunch of others i'm probably forgetting, but if i've met with them before, chances are good i'll stop in and see whats new.

Got any suggestions? Questions about specific gear? Rumors you want confirmed? Speak up and look for my live blogs starting July 22nd and running through July 24th!

crackers

Jun 15, 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #2 of 64 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Summer Outdoor Retailer Thread (July 21-24!) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
Hey folks, its that time of year again- well, almost anyway- the folks at the Outdoor Retailer show ...

Did you have to remind us? UnimpressedUnsurePirate

vegastradguy

Jun 15, 2009, 6:47 PM
Post #3 of 64 (5537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackers] Summer Outdoor Retailer Thread (July 21-24!) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crackers wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
Hey folks, its that time of year again- well, almost anyway- the folks at the Outdoor Retailer show ...

ha, i know, right? damn thing snuck up on me this year!

crackers

Jun 16, 2009, 5:51 PM
Post #4 of 64 (5450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
crackers wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Notice that nobody else has even looked at this damn thread? Nobody cares about gear anymore! Tongue

vegastradguy

Jun 16, 2009, 6:01 PM
Post #5 of 64 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackers] Summer Outdoor Retailer Thread (July 21-24!) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crackers wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
crackers wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

Notice that nobody else has even looked at this damn thread? Nobody cares about gear anymore! Tongue

That's because Aric has them all trapped over in the Alien destructo thread....

qtm

Jun 16, 2009, 6:13 PM
Post #6 of 64 (5437 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, when you get to CiloGear, ask Crackers how the Wally is coming along.

Hi Crackers!

OK, so I really don't have any good questions, the thread just looked a little forlorn.

(This post was edited by qtm on Jun 16, 2009, 6:15 PM)

roy_hinkley_jr

Jun 16, 2009, 6:27 PM
Post #7 of 64 (5422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why waste time with crap like Buff, Bridgedale, Oboz, and Patagonia Footwear? They have nothing to do with climbing. Yawn.

You're really leaving out CAMP, Marmot, TNF, Integral Design, Brooks Range, Dead Bird, Patagucci, Primus, MSR, Outdoor Research, Bluewater, Maxim again???

Tell us what you really think instead of blowing smoke up PR peoples butts to get free gear. Not everything new is wonderful, needed, or useful. Read through the marketing BS and give some real insight. Stop letting your friendships getting in the way of honest appraisals of products.

mrberry

Jun 16, 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #8 of 64 (5418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm also headed that way next month. Curious to see what you find noteworthy.

I've already seen a bit of TNF and Marmot early samples, but Marmot in particular has a couple new climbing packs and a crazy super-light, stretchy, waterproof/breathable softshell jacket.

vegastradguy

Jun 16, 2009, 6:42 PM
Post #9 of 64 (5415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roy_hinkley_jr] Summer Outdoor Retailer Thread (July 21-24!) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Why waste time with crap like Buff, Bridgedale, Oboz, and Patagonia Footwear? They have nothing to do with climbing. Yawn.

You're really leaving out CAMP, Marmot, TNF, Integral Design, Brooks Range, Dead Bird, Patagucci, Primus, MSR, Outdoor Research, Bluewater, Maxim again???

Tell us what you really think instead of blowing smoke up PR peoples butts to get free gear. Not everything new is wonderful, needed, or useful. Read through the marketing BS and give some real insight. Stop letting your friendships getting in the way of honest appraisals of products.

I'm not leaving out anyone if you think i should stop by and see them.

Buff, Bridgedale, Oboz, and Patagonia Footwear are all products i use when i climb- and not as a reviewer. Just because you dont use them doesnt mean other people dont.

CAMP, Patagucci, Primus, and Maxim are on my list of appointments and i see them at every show (maxim is actually somewhat new, but this will be the third show i've covered them on).

I'll stop in and see Brooks, OR, and TNF.

Not sure about Dead Bird- never heard of them.

Other folks, like Marmot and MSR, dont respond to my requests for appointments- contrary to popular belief, rc.com isnt the end all be all of media and I cant actually get appointments with everyone i'd like to see.

krazyk011

Jun 16, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #10 of 64 (5393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't forget to check out da boys at Friksn. You know they are bringing the heat with their shirts and other apparel..

ryanb

Jun 16, 2009, 7:15 PM
Post #11 of 64 (5382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Patagonia Footwear made the best rock climbing specific approach shoe I have ever used....the thatcher. Its has a light but stiff steal shank foot bed with a light weight pack cloth upper that folds flat for packing/harness hanging...exactelly what you want when you must drag a pair of shoes up a route for descending sketchy scree or cramponing etc on the way back to your pack and still comfy enough for 10+ mile approaches.

Actually, if you have the chance, John i'd appreciate it if you asked them why they stopped making it and if there are any plans to bring back an updated version. I think it would have caught on big time if more climbers knew about it.

roy_hinkley_jr

Jun 16, 2009, 7:50 PM
Post #12 of 64 (5366 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Sorry VTG, just going off your list. Deadbird = Arc'Teryx. Don't forget Mtn Hardwear, Simond, Grivel?, Gregory, Mountainsmith, Lowa, Kayland, Isis (for the gals), Millet, Liberty's numerous lines, Lowe, Vasque, Salomon, Garmont too. Since time is short, focus on the gear actually for climbing and less fluff like gucci shoes, socks, and silly headwear. Vaporware reports on a cam nobody can afford to make don't help much either.

Since you have a press pass, you don't need an appointment to go into booths or request catalogs. Just head in and look around to see what jumps out at you. Heck, you're probably better off without the PR filter. Remember that marketing people are NOT your friend. They are just salespeople that specialize in lying to media so they can justify there outrageous fees. The people you really want to deal with are the product designers and line managers--they will give you the real scoop. I do think your write ups are a bit soft and starry-eyed but still a fun read.

vegastradguy

Jun 16, 2009, 8:22 PM
Post #13 of 64 (5350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
Sorry VTG, just going off your list. Deadbird = Arc'Teryx. Don't forget Mtn Hardwear, Simond, Grivel?, Gregory, Mountainsmith, Lowa, Kayland, Isis (for the gals), Millet, Liberty's numerous lines, Lowe, Vasque, Salomon, Garmont too. Since time is short, focus on the gear actually for climbing and less fluff like gucci shoes, socks, and silly headwear. Vaporware reports on a cam nobody can afford to make don't help much either.

Since you have a press pass, you don't need an appointment to go into booths or request catalogs. Just head in and look around to see what jumps out at you. Heck, you're probably better off without the PR filter. Remember that marketing people are NOT your friend. They are just salespeople that specialize in lying to media so they can justify there outrageous fees. The people you really want to deal with are the product designers and line managers--they will give you the real scoop. I do think your write ups are a bit soft and starry-eyed but still a fun read.

ah, arc'teryx- probably wont see them this year as my pr guy is no longer with them, and they dont allow press in with out PR. this is actually true of all of the big companies and most of the mid size ones (only the really little guys without PR firms allow me to just walk in and check things out)- i can grab a catalog, but am not allowed to take pictures or review product without someone with me at the booth, and a good chunk of folks wont allow me in the booth without their PR rep.

i am well aware of the ins and outs of the show and who the best people are to connect with- this is my...7th show now, and the reality of it is this- we are still a mostly non-entity in a large chunk of the show and as a result, are not welcome without a PR rep.

i do my best and see what i can, but at the end of the day, it is what it is- a volunteer job that i pay for out of my own pocket (thats right, trips to the two OR shows cost me at least a couple thousand bucks out of my own pocket every year, not to mention 3 days @ 16-18hrs a day to cover and write up each show, and the 40 hours or so of scheduling time it takes for me to track down and make appointments prior to the show- oh, and did i mention the 10 days of personal time i take off of my real job every year to actually go up to SLC and cover the show?)- and if you dont like it...forgive me if i dont lose too much sleep over it- i've long since accepted the fact that i cant please everyone with my coverage of the show.

roy_hinkley_jr

Jun 16, 2009, 8:52 PM
Post #14 of 64 (5339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
they dont allow press in with out PR. this is actually true of all of the big companies and most of the mid size ones.

Ah, you make the mistake of asking. Nearly all trade show booths are open with just a flunky at a counter for scheduling. Better to slip in unobtrusively during a slow time and look around like you belong. At worse they ask you to leave and then you give them a PR nightmare by blogging about their rude behavior ;-) Better yet, Tweet about how Brand X hates climbers so they can hear about it during the show...bad press gets around faster than good press.

No fair whining about getting suggestions when you asked for them! Besides at 4-6 free beers per day and probably a few t-shirts and other schwag, you aren't entirely uncompensated.

crackers

Jun 16, 2009, 9:02 PM
Post #15 of 64 (5330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
... Besides at 4-6 free beers per day ...

he doesn't drink.

he does bring me beer though...

vegastradguy

Jun 16, 2009, 9:18 PM
Post #16 of 64 (5322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:
they dont allow press in with out PR. this is actually true of all of the big companies and most of the mid size ones.

Ah, you make the mistake of asking. Nearly all trade show booths are open with just a flunky at a counter for scheduling. Better to slip in unobtrusively during a slow time and look around like you belong. At worse they ask you to leave and then you give them a PR nightmare by blogging about their rude behavior ;-) Better yet, Tweet about how Brand X hates climbers so they can hear about it during the show...bad press gets around faster than good press.

No fair whining about getting suggestions when you asked for them! Besides at 4-6 free beers per day and probably a few t-shirts and other schwag, you aren't entirely uncompensated.

i asked for suggestions on who i should visit that isnt on my list- i didnt ask you how to do my job.

re: schwag- yes, there is some schwag to be sure, but it doesnt exactly PAY for my plane tickets, hotel rooms, food, rent, bills, etc, etc, now does it?

re: beers- if i could drink, i would- if for no other reason than to drown out the whining from the folks doing the armchair bitching about how shitty my coverage of the OR show is.

rmsusa

Jun 16, 2009, 9:26 PM
Post #17 of 64 (5315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Remember that marketing people are NOT your friend. They are just salespeople that specialize in lying to media so they can justify there outrageous fees...

In reply to:
Ah, you make the mistake of asking. Nearly all trade show booths are open with just a flunky at a counter for scheduling

Wow! That attitude is a fast road to the blackball. You'll go far that way, bud. Hope it was sarcasm.

MS1

Jun 16, 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #18 of 64 (5279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If there is any way to find out whether a larger Link Cam is in the works, that would be awesome.

Partner macherry

Jun 16, 2009, 11:00 PM
Post #19 of 64 (5270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roy_hinkley_jr wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

yeah those free stickers really pay for the costs.

vegastradeguy is a volunteer and is not compensated for his effort. Seriously, i've been to trade shows before, a few free brews and a t-shirt aren't a big deal!!!! Nobody gives away big ticket products.

basilisk

Jun 17, 2009, 3:45 AM
Post #20 of 64 (5239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
beers- if i could drink, i would- if for no other reason than to drown out the whining from the folks doing the armchair bitching about how shitty my coverage of the OR show is.

Aw, I know I've whined in the past. You have my sincerest apologies if you took it to heartCrazy

lostparrot

Jun 17, 2009, 3:49 AM
Post #21 of 64 (5239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love reading your reviews of the OR shows. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Keep up the GREAT WORK!!

ncrockclimber

Jun 17, 2009, 4:32 PM
Post #22 of 64 (5184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From another post on ropes...

vegastradguy wrote:
ncrockclimber wrote:
Thanks for the info. That is the kind of feedback that I suspected that I would get; BlueWater seems to make a great product and has lots of fans (me included from past experience).
I am still curious though regarding the sheath slippage shown in the spec. None of the other ropes that I have looked at (PMI, Edelweiss, Beal) show any slippage in their spec. Anyone out there have an explanation for this? BlueWater seems to be one of the more durable ropes, and yet in one aspect of the specs appears to be less durable...

Thanks in advance for all helpful replies!

i tell you what- post up in the OR thread about this, and i'll stop in and ask Scott @ bluewater about it and maybe Jim @ Sterling as well to get the lowdown.

i dont think its a big deal, but i could be wrong.

If you could ask about this when you talk to BlueWater and Sterling, that would be great. Also, if they are at the show, stop by CiloGear. Ask about the Wall Pack - whatever happened to it? It was going to be available in 2008, but still hasn't been released. Misty Mountain would also be a good one to visit. They have a few new packs and harnesses that look cool.

Thanks!

Partner neuroshock

Jun 18, 2009, 8:55 PM
Post #23 of 64 (5130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
re: beers- if i could drink, i would- if for no other reason than to drown out the whining from the folks doing the armchair bitching about how shitty my coverage of the OR show is.

I've never commented on your coverage either way before but I want to now chime in and comment that I do like & appreciate your coverage/write-ups. Keep up the good work!

-Mike

atlnq9

Jun 20, 2009, 4:42 PM
Post #24 of 64 (5029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you see Metolius could you ask when and if they have plans to make offset master cams?

Thanks,
AL

taydude

Jun 20, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #25 of 64 (3476 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atlnq9] Summer Outdoor Retailer Thread (July 21-24!) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love my master cams so far. Could you see if metolius is planning on extending the set into the larger ranges?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook