RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Premier Sponsor:

Guy03

Jun 17, 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #1 of 5 (7050 views)
Shortcut

Being Injured and controling your mind
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am currently injured and there is no sign of recovery soon.
I have a lisfranc fracture of the left foot, and currently spend the majority of my time on my butt with my foot up in a cast.
Being an active person who wants to climb but cant how do I control the urge and what can I do to stay positive and try to some how progress in climbing?
Any help would be great!!

arnoilgner

Jun 18, 2009, 5:26 AM
Post #2 of 5 (7040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Guy03] Being Injured and controling your mind [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hello guy03,
do you like to read? plenty of climbing books on training or adventures to entertain. you could also address the restlessness by becoming less restless. breathing and meditation exercises could be a way to become more present and patient with your current situation. eventually, as you get a bit mobile, you can begin some body work, like yoga, stretching, getting in touch with your body.
arno

ScottMcNamara

Jun 18, 2009, 8:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (7023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Guy03

I am sorry to hear about your injury.

I was on a well bolted 5.11- sport route—appropriately enough called “Grave Robber.” My friend, although a very experienced climber, was using an new belay device. I fell from above the third bolt. I was about thirty (30) feet up. I hit the ground.

I really did not think I was that badly hurt. I walked out. I went home. My friends forced me to go to urgent care. By the time I got there, my neck hurt so I laid down on the floor. This got their attention. When I complained of neck pain I was immediately placed in a neck brace, x-rayed, strapped to a body board and placed in a waiting ambulance.

Coming into an emergency room in that condition gets lots of medical attention. If the injury was not enough, the military like precision of my treatment was frightening. When I was lying on a Gurney with the interminable waiting that goes along with being in an emergency room, I listened to the doctors discuss surgery. It sounded serious. I wondered if I wanted to live. What if they botched the surgery and left me a quadriplegic?

I wished I would have made out my will. I would not give my climbing equipment to this partner.

My wife sat beside me. I did not want her to have to take care of me if I were to be totally paralyzed, but I wanted to live. I wanted to sit on my porch in the evenings, pat my dog and idly chat with my wife.

Arno’s book helped me pass through those dreary hours, much more comfortably. Breathing, relaxing my body, accepting my fear, not hanging on to fear thoughts, letting them pass through me without attachment, being curious about what I might learn. All these RWW things helped me pass through this challenging experience.

During my convalescence, I could not climb but wanted to keep up my practice. I sensed I would heal and be back climbing soon enough. Studying Arno’s book, visualizing climbing http://www.snopes.com/sports/golf/innergolf.asp and looking at my accident as an opportunity to learn about myself really helped. While I cannot control my mind, I can quiet it and I can listen and accept the noise it produces if I adopt the “witness position.”

Luck was with me. I survived. I am not paralyzed. I had no surgery. I am back climbing, albeit with some new opportunities that Arno (through his website http://www.warriorsway.com/ ) is helping me figure out.

The story you tell yourself about this accident and its effect upon your life is very important. I knew when this happened to me that I was well on my way to being a more accomplished climber, in part, as a result of the growth this accident asked from me. Your injury may be an opportunity to learn some important things that can benefit your life.

Carnage

Jun 30, 2009, 7:14 PM
Post #4 of 5 (6907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man, this sucks, im actually just getting back into it after breaking 5 bones across my foot while climbing in march. the healing time goes by pretty quickly actually, it doesnt seem like its been 3 months.

heres what i did.

1. Hangboard: dont over do it, but doing hangboarding exercises helped me feel like my arms weren't atrophying away.

2. weight workouts: just because you are 1 foot down doesnt mean you cant do some upper body stuff. people give you weird looks in the gym but who cares, you're picking up heavy shit

3. start climbing as soon as you can: as soon as your doctor says your foot can take alot of bumping and bashing climb. i climbed in the orthopedic boot for about a month before my physical therapist said it was ok to climb in shoes. again people at the gym will get a kick out of it. the trick is to climb harder then them in the boot.

thats what i did, still some stiffness in the morning but its pretty much back to normal. now if i can only get my toenail to finish growing back ill be set.

good luck

note: attached are the xrays from my foot. hope you didnt break the big bone, thats the one that sucks the most

(This post was edited by Carnage on Jul 1, 2009, 3:28 PM)
Attachments: footxrays2.jpg (85.0 KB)

Hennessey

Jul 6, 2009, 6:09 PM
Post #5 of 5 (6826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First off: Injuries suck!

Currently I am kinda in the same boat. About a week ago I fell about 25 feet at work. I landed directly on my heels, mainly the right one. No breaks or anything too serious. Just a right heel and ankle that is black & blue and hurts like hell. It sucks sitting around all day when you are usually an active person.

To keep my spirits up I have been:
1-watching alot of climbing movies
2-reading climbing books
3-pull-ups and dead hands on the training board
4- finger exercises

It's not the same fun you get from climbing but it is still keeping my spirits up and fingers strong.

Hope you have a speedy recovery

Forums : Clubs : Mental Training: The Rock Warrior's Way

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook