Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

apeman_e

Jun 18, 2009, 4:35 PM
Post #101 of 130 (5162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Mis-centered axle holes in cam lobes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My green and yellow aliens are mis-centered, so I figured I'd send an email to Nadia at CCH and ask if they are aware of this problem.

She replied that yes, they "have checked out" the dorringtonclimbing.com software, and no, they have not heard about any mis-centered cam lobes.

Hard to believe, but far from surprising.

curt

Jun 18, 2009, 6:11 PM
Post #102 of 130 (5115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Mis-centered axle holes in cam lobes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
I'll post this here, too - a quick plot showing the relationship between coefficient of friction and the critical angle at which a cam will slip under any force. Blue boxes = approximate range of frictional coefficients between rock and aluminium. Green = sliding friction coefficient between aluminium and mild steel; purple = static coefficient between same.

Could you explain this chart a little better? I may be the only one dense enough not to understand, so if you'd humor me I'd be grateful.

GO

The chart just shows that as the coefficient of friction between the cam and the other surface decreases, you need a smaller cam angle in order for the cam to hold. The green line is "inside" the purple line because the coefficient of dynamic friction (which is what you have after the surfaces have begun to move against each other) is always smaller than the coefficient of static friction.

Curt

Partner cracklover

Jun 18, 2009, 6:40 PM
Post #103 of 130 (5098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Mis-centered axle holes in cam lobes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
cracklover wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
I'll post this here, too - a quick plot showing the relationship between coefficient of friction and the critical angle at which a cam will slip under any force. Blue boxes = approximate range of frictional coefficients between rock and aluminium. Green = sliding friction coefficient between aluminium and mild steel; purple = static coefficient between same.

Could you explain this chart a little better? I may be the only one dense enough not to understand, so if you'd humor me I'd be grateful.

GO

The chart just shows that as the coefficient of friction between the cam and the other surface decreases, you need a smaller cam angle in order for the cam to hold. The green line is "inside" the purple line because the coefficient of dynamic friction (which is what you have after the surfaces have begun to move against each other) is always smaller than the coefficient of static friction.

Curt

Sure, that's all clear, and nothing new. The question is what do the two light blue boxes, the one dark blue box, and the white box represent? I thought they were adding something to the discussion.

GO

curt

Jun 18, 2009, 6:48 PM
Post #104 of 130 (5090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Mis-centered axle holes in cam lobes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
curt wrote:
cracklover wrote:
blondgecko wrote:

GO

Curt

Sure, that's all clear, and nothing new. The question is what do the two light blue boxes, the one dark blue box, and the white box represent? I thought they were adding something to the discussion.

GO

I think those just show the sort of "normal" ranges for coefficients of friction and the corresponding cam angles needed.

Curt

ptlong

Jun 18, 2009, 6:54 PM
Post #105 of 130 (5084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Mis-centered axle holes in cam lobes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
I think those just show the sort of "normal" ranges for coefficients of friction and the corresponding cam angles needed.

Curt

"Normal" meaning rock/aluminium interface instead of steel/aluminum.

It's a nice picture but the meaning of the chart could be distilled as follows:

Static friction of steel/aluminum --> 31 deg cam angle
Dynamic friction steel/aluminum --> 25 deg cam angle
Friction (static?) rock/aluminum --> range 15-27 deg cam angle

jt512

Jun 18, 2009, 7:11 PM
Post #106 of 130 (5072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Aric, every time I look at results like this, the first question that pops into my head is, "How do these compare with other brands of cams?" I honestly think that it is imperative that each time you present results for Aliens, that you include results for other brands, as a control—at a minimum, include a link to such results. Otherwise, you are essentially presenting the results of an uncontrolled experiment. The reader has no way of knowing whether these results are unusual, or not.

Jay

I guess I don't see the point, Jay, as the results from a bunch of other cams are back in the OP of this thread. I didn't measure the angles for them as they're all really close to correct and most likely within the error induced by the photos and Cam Fitter software.

But that's exactly the kind of quantitative data we need to draw conclusions about brand! That's what doing controlled experiments means! You have to have a control group that you do the same measurements on. And then you compare the results of the control group with the hypothesis group.

So the first problem is that there is missing control group data.

The second problem is presentation. The data are scattered through multiple posts in multiple threads, and for the most part, only the raw data are presented. You don't have a table anywhere summarizing the data. If I wanted to know (and I do want to) how many Aliens and non-Aliens you've measured angles on, how many were scanned vs. photographed, what the average deviation from advertised cam angle was per brand, what one source could I go to for that information. The narratives and the pictures are great—necessary, even—but the data has to be summarized too. When you read a published paper, you can look at a few tables and understand the main study results. That's what's missing here, I think. I think what you should do is to summarize all the data you have in a single table and post that table in the OP of this thread.

Edit: To summarize:
1. All the data should be in a single spreadsheet, or database.
2. The data from that database should be summarized into a single table that is prominently included in the OP.
3. As new data is obtained, it should be added to the database in (1) and the table (2) should be updated.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jun 18, 2009, 7:15 PM)

adatesman

Jun 18, 2009, 7:15 PM
Post #107 of 130 (5067 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by adatesman [In reply to]
Report this Post

jt512

Jun 18, 2009, 7:17 PM
Post #108 of 130 (5062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Gotcha, and I think you have a very good point about the info being too spread out. I'll see about adding a summary in the OP.

Not just a summary, but a summary table. If you want help with the layout of the table, let me know.

Jay

adatesman

Jun 18, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #109 of 130 (5052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

jt512

Jun 18, 2009, 10:00 PM
Post #110 of 130 (5025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Yup, that's what I meant. Formatting here in the forum sucks so I'll do it up in Excel and post a screenshot of it.

Sound good?

Sounds really good.

gunkiemike

Jun 19, 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #111 of 130 (5002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Gotcha, and I think you have a very good point about the info being too spread out. I'll see about adding a summary in the OP.

I scanned 3 Metolius cams and a rigid Friend. All looked very centered. I can email you the screenshots if you want to measure the angles.

mojomonkey

Jun 19, 2009, 2:35 AM
Post #112 of 130 (4972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Mis-centered axle holes in cam lobes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
adatesman wrote:
Yup, that's what I meant. Formatting here in the forum sucks so I'll do it up in Excel and post a screenshot of it.

Sound good?

Sounds really good.

Except not a screen shot of a spreadsheet - you mean attaching it or linking to it, right?

jt512

Jun 19, 2009, 2:52 AM
Post #113 of 130 (4967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mojomonkey] Mis-centered axle holes in cam lobes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mojomonkey wrote:
jt512 wrote:
adatesman wrote:

Sound good?

Sounds really good.

Except not a screen shot of a spreadsheet - you mean attaching it or linking to it, right?

We need two things:

1. A downloadable spreadsheet containing all the data.

2. A table summarizing the data.

Jay

bill413

Jun 19, 2009, 3:21 AM
Post #114 of 130 (4962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suppose that if you can't put the spreadsheet up here, you could use Google docs.

sixleggedinsect

Jun 19, 2009, 5:38 AM
Post #115 of 130 (4940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Aric, every time I look at results like this, the first question that pops into my head is, "How do these compare with other brands of cams?" I honestly think that it is imperative that each time you present results for Aliens, that you include results for other brands, as a control—at a minimum, include a link to such results. Otherwise, you are essentially presenting the results of an uncontrolled experiment. The reader has no way of knowing whether these results are unusual, or not.

this is waht i was getting at with my half-ass post on the other lab thread.

i see that folks are putting together a spreadsheet of data. im happy to hear this, and id like to chip in. im willing to scan in the bulk of my rack (any cams that are still being sold, anyways), but want to make sure im doing it right before i do all that work.

i just did an initial trial of photos, and found that i was getting very different results between photos of the same lobe. i standardized it by making a tracing of my camera (canon sd1000) on the white paper, and marking the center of the lense, and putting a tiny plumb line on the corner of the camera.

i put the axle on top of the center-lense mark ont eh paper. put the plumb over the corner of the tracing. then aim the center of the focus reticle on the camera at the center of the axle. my results are now precise, but not necessarily accurate. my rock empire cam (which i have never heard of problems with, and had heard of being spot-on in this or another similar thread) has waht i woudl consider a significant axle deviation. (i dont know if this is due to camera problems, or me problems, or whether it is insignificant, or what, but its consistent between four photos)

anyways- are the photos enoguh for a data-person to make a spreadsheet? what is qunatifiable? mm deviation from center? direction of deviation? this is tricky to figure out from the photos, although it can be reasonably estimated if a person is familiar with the cam, or has it in hand.

short story- if i want to submit data to the big spreadsheet, how do you want it, so it is as best standardized as possible?

jt512

Jun 19, 2009, 6:04 AM
Post #116 of 130 (5176 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sixleggedinsect] Mis-centered axle holes in cam lobes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sixleggedinsect wrote:
i just did an initial trial of photos, and found that i was getting very different results between photos of the same lobe. i standardized it by making a tracing of my camera (canon sd1000) on the white paper, and marking the center of the lense, and putting a tiny plumb line on the corner of the camera.

i put the axle on top of the center-lense mark ont eh paper. put the plumb over the corner of the tracing. then aim the center of the focus reticle on the camera at the center of the axle. my results are now precise, but not necessarily accurate. my rock empire cam (which i have never heard of problems with, and had heard of being spot-on in this or another similar thread) has waht i woudl consider a significant axle deviation. (i dont know if this is due to camera problems, or me problems, or whether it is insignificant, or what, but its consistent between four photos)

Besides having the camera lens centered on the center of the cam axle, the aim of the camera must be in line with the cam axle. So, if either the cam or the camera is tilted (but not at the same angle), then the measurement will be off.

Jay

sixleggedinsect

Jun 19, 2009, 6:18 AM
Post #117 of 130 (5165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Besides having the camera lens centered on the center of the cam axle, the aim of the camera must be in line with the cam axle. So, if either the cam or the camera is tilted (but not at the same angle), then the measurement will be off.

im pretty sure that my system (at least theoretically) controls for tilt and axle-lense axis. however, with these short distances im sure that even little errors compound to big discrepancies- its just i dont know whether they matter.

edit: two plumb lines (from different corners) would make it even more accurate, but im confident that plane is easy to eyeball and woudlnt make a big difference in results.

so- are the fitted photos the data-submission mech of choice?

(This post was edited by sixleggedinsect on Jun 19, 2009, 6:21 AM)

jt512

Jun 19, 2009, 6:25 AM
Post #118 of 130 (5160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sixleggedinsect wrote:
jt512 wrote:

im pretty sure that my system (at least theoretically) controls for tilt and axle-lense axis. however, with these short distances im sure that even little errors compound to big discrepancies- its just i dont know whether they matter.

edit: two plumb lines (from different corners) would make it even more accurate, but im confident that plane is easy to eyeball and woudlnt make a big difference in results.

so- are the fitted photos the data-submission mech of choice?

To be honest with you, I don't see data submission as a collaborative effort. I'd rather see Aric produce all the data.

Jay

sixleggedinsect

Jun 19, 2009, 6:34 AM
Post #119 of 130 (5153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
To be honest with you, I don't see data submission as a collaborative effort. I'd rather see Aric produce all the data.

an excellent way to standardize the data! are we paying him yet?

so, no cam photos useful, Aric?

jt512

Jun 19, 2009, 6:43 AM
Post #120 of 130 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sixleggedinsect wrote:
jt512 wrote:

an excellent way to standardize the data!

Well, standardization is kind of the whole point.

Jay

sixleggedinsect

Jun 19, 2009, 7:09 AM
Post #121 of 130 (5143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Well, standardization is kind of the whole point.

i compeltely agree that std's are necessary to make any real conclusions. i just recognize that aric seems like he has a fulltime unpaid job doing the heavy lifting, and i wonder if i could help out, while maintaining the necessary standardization. the photo 'jig' i described was a way of demonstrating what i was doing to get repeatable results, as the photo taking is the only non-checkable (by you or aric or anyone else) part of the data collection process. everything else can be submitted neatly as a screenshot off the cam fitter.

i know he says he likes breaking stuff, but taking photos of cams and measuring angles is a far cry from destroying gear.

anyways, bowing out unless i hear i could be useful here.

-ant

adatesman

Jun 19, 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #122 of 130 (5125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

bill413

Jun 19, 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #123 of 130 (5075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
But this is important, so I'm more than willing to do it.

Thank you.

Question for everybody photographing the cams - are you trying to hand hold? To set up individually for each cam? Or are you using some sort of jig to ensure reproducibility?

(these questions are meant as a suggestion...)

adatesman

Jun 20, 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #124 of 130 (5067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Partner cracklover

Jun 20, 2009, 7:13 PM
Post #125 of 130 (5058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
FWIW mine were all hand held. I balanced the camera on something solid (pint glass, nalgene, whatever was handy) with one hand and then lined up the cam with the other. And by 'lining up' I mean centered the axle in the frame with it out of alignment and then rotated it whichever direction was necessary to get the sides of the head/nut to disappear (which would indicate proper alignment due to how the lens sees the image). Only issue I ran into was making sure that there was enough light to allow for a somewhat fast shutter speed to make sure there'd be little blur from holding the cam by hand.

This method is adequate to see gross axle misplacement, but for any cams in which the axle sticks out past the face of the cam a significant ratio to the cam size (as is typical with the smallest Aliens) it is possible to get results that are off by a mm+ (a significant amount for these tiny cams).

In particular, if you're using a macro mode, it is very easy to hide the rear lobes, but still be off quite a bit from center. In fact, sometime hiding the rear lobes *forces* you to take the photo from the wrong angle. Better to include the rear lobes and then manually select the point on the dorrington software.

For these little cams, you either need to dissect the cam and put the lobes on a scanner, or be extremely precise in lining up the cam to the camera.

Here's an example with a black Alien:

Shot from too far to the left:

Centered:

Shot from too far to the right:

So, obviously, this cam is drilled in the wrong place, there's little doubt about that. But to find out exactly by how much, and in which direction, requires more precision than you can easily get handheld.

Again, on bigger cams, or cams with axles that don't stick out as far, handheld works perfectly well.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook