Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climber injured scrambling at Franklin- a wake up call.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roninthorne

Jun 1, 2009, 7:02 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Climber injured scrambling at Franklin- a wake up call.  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Franklin_Gorge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sunday, a young climber was injured at Franklin Gorge's popular Impact Zone when she fell while exiting the cave onto the ledge leading to newly-re-equipped Belly of the Whale.

At the time, her partner was already on the ledge but too far away to help when she slipped and fell at the narrowest section, tumbling to the path below. Apparently she had continued traversing at height after exiting the cave, instead of descending to the ledge proper.

Her partner said "I thought, 'Maybe I should give her a spot...' and then she slipped and was gone!"

The fallen climber was immediately attended by friends and nearby climbers who made her as comfortable as possible until Franklin Fire and Rescue arrived and (against the advice of at least one person) evacuated her straight down the forested talus slope to River Gap Road for transport to meet a waiting helicopter. She was initially flown to Petersburg but then airlifted to Morgantown with a concussion, broken wrist and multiple facial/cranial contusions and abrasions. At this time her condition is not known, but when I saw her five minutes before the medicos arrived (about ten minutes after the accident), she was conscious and talking, embarrassed and obviously in pain but coherent and exhibiting at least a modicum of humor.

While no one is to blame in this incident, there was an obvious breakdown in communication and safety monitoring. Talk to your partners. Tell them if you're unsure or uncomfortable moving through any of the terrain you face outdoors. Keep an eye on each other even if you're "old pros". Gravity never sleeps. Boulders roll, folks. Even textured rock is slippery when damp. Losing your balance on a steep ridge with a full pack can send you cartwheeling hundreds of feet down a talus slope. No matter how many years you've been scrambling, hiking, free soloing, or fourth classing your way around, it only takes one "OOps!" to ruin your day.

Sadly, most people don't wear helmets every time they climb, and few seem to keep them handy when hiking, even when there are groups around.

Franklin is a cliffband beneath a series of steep, rocky bowls in the forest, folks. Stones from the size of marbles to the size of grapefruit fall off the top every day, more so when there has been heavy rain (deer tend to stick to the edge trails instead of the deep woods on those days) or groups are setting anchors and retrieving gear. I know this and I don't always wear a helmet when hiking, so it's no surprise most other less informed Franklin visitors don't do so.

Regardless of my own negligence, I strongly recommend that you do so, if scrambling on high ledges either at Belly of the Whale or near Almost Heaven or while moving around at any crag with crowds and loose rock. While it wouldn't have prevented all injuries, wearing a helmet would have made this most recent accident painful and embarrassing, but much less frightening and dangerous.

Again, I'm not judging anyone... despite some of your opinions of me, I am only too human and have survived more than my fair share of close calls. It has been fairly stated that wisdom is simply the memory of past injuries and error. I know mine is. As with trailwork and other responsibilities in the outdoors, I'm just trying to encourage a dialogue, just trying to keep everyone safe, injury free, and out there downgrading my routes and talking shite about me on the forums.

Thanks to everyone who helped in the swift response after the accident and/or who assisted the evac team, and my deepest hopes and prayers for a swift and complete recovery for the young lady involved.

(edited for topos)

(This post was edited by roninthorne on Jun 4, 2009, 6:24 PM)

rockandlice

Jun 2, 2009, 8:25 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Climber injured scrambling at Franklin- a wake up call. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I must have shown up after this whole debacle. I'm glad to hear she is likely okay. It's good to point out that often times injury is most likely on approaches and descents. I find myself most careless in scree fields which is a bad accident waiting to happen. I try not to put my guard down and to slow down and make sure my steps are solid before moving on.

flatstateclimber

Jun 8, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] Climber injured scrambling at Franklin- a wake up call. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. I find myself most careless on the descent, especially after a hard day of climbing. Our guard is up because we know the consequences of a climbing accident are often worse than a walking accident.

I wish the young lady a speedy recovery!

roninthorne

Jun 23, 2009, 2:18 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flatstateclimber] Climber injured scrambling at Franklin- a wake up call. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Update- the lass in question suffered TWO broken wrists, but is recovering nicely. Thanks to Whitney for the update.

In other news, there may be a trail work day in late July... waiting to see when some friends get back from Yosemite. We decided to do this since all the people that claimed my attitude was stopping them from working on the trails seem to have found another excuse that works just as well, judging by their total lack of efforts....

lodi5onu

Jun 23, 2009, 2:27 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Climber injured scrambling at Franklin- a wake up call. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet if you organize it but promise not to show up it will be an epic turnout.

boo

Jun 23, 2009, 2:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roninthorne wrote:

Gravity never sleeps.

Well put, roninthorne. Well put.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook