Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sp00ki

Jul 2, 2009, 9:52 PM
Post #1 of 29 (16021 views)
Shortcut

Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Don't like using the word "fix", but the subject was getting a little wordy...

At any rate, here's the problem:
I've been climbing for roughly a month now, exclusively indoor bouldering.

Since day one, i've gone three to four times a week, most recently between 2-3 hours a day. Late last week sometime, i found myself waking up the day after bouldering with a dull discomfort at the finger tip joint. The discomfort is most pronounced when i make a fist, and seems to be most prevalent in my middle and ring fingers (both hands), though a much milder "version" can be felt on the pinky finger. Hardly anything on my index fingers or thumbs.
The discomfort seems to fade as the day progresses, but is still noticeable during my off day.
For instance, i bouldered yesterday evening from 6:45 to about 9:45; i'm feeling it as i type this.
My prediction is that it'll feel a bit better tomorrow, and even better after warming up for fifteen or twenty minutes (climbing at about 10AM).

1) can someone describe what might be going on? It's not muscle soreness (or at least not muscle soreness as i'm accustomed), but squeezing the fist does let me notice it a bit more.
2) what can i do to prevent this? the problems i've been working on are a bit more "ledgy" and "hangy" (noticing far fewer jugs in the problems as i advance, which is expected of course), but one in particular requires pretty strong (for me) pinches for a few of the holds.

Thanks

bill413

Jul 2, 2009, 10:12 PM
Post #2 of 29 (16006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you need more rest time. I'll let more experienced folks add more (or dispute).

marc801

Jul 2, 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #3 of 29 (16001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp00ki] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Offhand it sounds like typical overuse injury. Stop pushing so hard. Cut back on your sessions - maybe by half. It would probably be better for more recovery time between sessions rather than just cutting down the length of each session. When you say 3 or 4 times a week for 2-3 hrs per session, are those back-to-back days? If so, spread them out more.

Stay off the crimpers and pinches for a while. Do easier stuff to work up your muscle and tendon endurance, remembering that muscles will progress much faster than tendons and ligaments.

What do you mean by "discomfort"? Tingling? Numbness? Burning? Pain? Swelling?

milesenoell

Jul 2, 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #4 of 29 (15982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless you are 14 your body needs some time to adjust to the new demands you are making on your tendons. Overuse injuries will result in way more time off climbing than backing off now and avoiding the damage.

sp00ki

Jul 2, 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #5 of 29 (15972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
Offhand it sounds like typical overuse injury. Stop pushing so hard. Cut back on your sessions - maybe by half. It would probably be better for more recovery time between sessions rather than just cutting down the length of each session. When you say 3 or 4 times a week for 2-3 hrs per session, are those back-to-back days? If so, spread them out more.

Stay off the crimpers and pinches for a while. Do easier stuff to work up your muscle and tendon endurance, remembering that muscles will progress much faster than tendons and ligaments.

What do you mean by "discomfort"? Tingling? Numbness? Burning? Pain? Swelling?
Not back to back days, no.
For example, this week i climbed monday, yesterday (wednesday), going to climb tomorrow (friday) and sunday (4x, one week). Next week i was planning to climb tues, thurs, sat (3x one week).
Never back to back days, always at least one day.

Would you recommend climbing more 3x day weeks (ie, sticking to monday/wed/sat, for example) or simply climbing less?

As for the pain, it's a numb soreness. the closest i can compare it to is the way a knee or elbow feels the day after taking a spill on a hard floor or the street-- just not as severe.

Your point about muscles vs tendons/ligaments makes lots of sense.
My hand strength is going through the roof (more than i expected in such a short time), which sorta means i should do the right thing and take three or four days off.
NOT something i wanna do though... maybe in a few weeks?

Is there a way to minimize whatever impact i'm doing (certain stretches, post climbing rituals, etc) other than cutting back or ignoring tough holds? at least until i take four days off or whatever...

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 2, 2009, 11:44 PM)

Myxomatosis

Jul 2, 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #6 of 29 (15963 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you are on your way to an over use injury.

Please take at least two weeks off before its to late!! Then gently come back climbing, only V1/2 or 5.6 to 5.7 climbing for at least two weeks (do not over do it, coz thats when injury will strike you!!!). Had the same feelings in my elbows, now had nine months out.

An exercise that might help (sounds like there isn't enough blood flowing through your fingers while you sleep, get the same in my elbows)... buy a 1kg weight and just roll it in your fingers. So roll your fingers out flat then roll it back up into a fist.

Make sure you use your fingers to roll the weight and not gravity, nice and slow also.

Do 3 sets of 15 on each hand after climbing before you sleep and again when you wake up.

Or have a look at getting some chinese medicine balls.

(This post was edited by Myxomatosis on Jul 2, 2009, 11:49 PM)

no_email_entered

Jul 3, 2009, 12:13 AM
Post #7 of 29 (15951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
I've been climbing wanking for roughly a month now, exclusively indoor bouldering wanking.

Since day one, i've gone three to four times a week, most recently between 2-3 hours a day. Late last week sometime, i found myself waking up the day after bouldering wanking with a dull discomfort at the finger tip joint. The discomfort is most pronounced when i make a fist, and seems to be most prevalent in my middle and ring fingers (both hands), though a much milder "version" can be felt on the pinky finger. Hardly anything on my index fingers or thumbs.
The discomfort seems to fade as the day progresses, but is still noticeable during my off day.
For instance, i bouldered wanked yesterday evening from 6:45 to about 9:45; i'm feeling it as i type this.
My prediction is that it'll feel a bit better tomorrow, and even better after warming up for fifteen or twenty minutes (climbing wanking at about 10AM).

1) can someone describe what might be going on? It's not muscle soreness (or at least not muscle soreness as i'm accustomed), but squeezing the fist does let me notice it a bit more.

this reads better---

---and do a search

sp00ki

Jul 3, 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #8 of 29 (15932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Projecting a little?

no_email_entered

Jul 3, 2009, 1:01 AM
Post #9 of 29 (15930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
Projecting a little?

no---

---a lot

Hennessey

Jul 3, 2009, 2:04 AM
Post #10 of 29 (15906 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
sp00ki wrote:
I've been climbing wanking for roughly a month now, exclusively indoor bouldering wanking.

Since day one, i've gone three to four times a week, most recently between 2-3 hours a day. Late last week sometime, i found myself waking up the day after bouldering wanking with a dull discomfort at the finger tip joint. The discomfort is most pronounced when i make a fist, and seems to be most prevalent in my middle and ring fingers (both hands), though a much milder "version" can be felt on the pinky finger. Hardly anything on my index fingers or thumbs.
For instance, i bouldered wanked yesterday evening from 6:45 to about 9:45; i'm feeling it as i type this.
My prediction is that it'll feel a bit better tomorrow, and even better after warming up for fifteen or twenty minutes (climbing wanking at about 10AM).

this reads better---

---and do a search

Holy shit that's alot of wanking off

bradley3297

Jul 3, 2009, 2:17 AM
Post #11 of 29 (15905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had the same problem when i started climbing harder. just make sure you get adequate rest. it never developed into anything problematic for me. and eventually went away.

(This post was edited by bradley3297 on Jul 3, 2009, 2:19 AM)

sp00ki

Jul 3, 2009, 2:57 AM
Post #12 of 29 (15899 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bradley3297] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting.
When you say adequate rest, do you mean a day between sessions? Two?

Good news regardless.

bradley3297

Jul 3, 2009, 3:51 AM
Post #13 of 29 (15883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think it had alot to do with my tendons adapting to new levels of stress. it didnt feel like damage. just really stiff in the morning. like mild swelling in my joints type of a pain. you can tell the difference between damage. damage is usually a sharp pain. though ifyou dont get enough rest it will turn into that. if your doing alot of steep hard climbing 3 days a week is a good starting point. and try to make sure your rest days are a couple in a row. your tendons strenghten alot slower than your muscles. i progressed so fast that i got bursitis in my elbow and tendonitis in both my forearms. not related to my hand but to show you that rest is very important. just rest when you feel that in your hand because swelling causes wear in your tendons because theres more friction caused from the swelling and that will cause damage and progress into tendonitis or other injuries. i recommend preventative icing to keep swelling down.

marc801

Jul 3, 2009, 4:11 AM
Post #14 of 29 (15879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp00ki wrote:
Interesting.
When you say adequate rest, do you mean a day between sessions? Two?
At this point, you probably need a good week or two off with no climbing to heal and not do any more damage. Then ease back in:
1 day on
1 day off
1 day on
2 days off
etc until you heal sufficiently

sp00ki wrote:
Good news regardless.
You're hearing only what you want to hear. What worked out OK for someone else doesn't apply to you.

sp00ki

Jul 4, 2009, 2:16 PM
Post #15 of 29 (15833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bradley3297] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Brief update:

Took a friend who'd never been climbing to the gym (Go Vertical) yesterday morning for some intro bouldering-- we were there for about three hours or so.
Since i was more focused on helping her than doing my own thing, i didn't climb nearly as much as i normally would.
Flashed a new V1 and V2, re-did a few V1s, did a little traversing and briefly worked on a problem i was a move away from finishing on Wed (finished it). Climbed, but didn't climb hard and spent a lot of time with my feet on the ground. At the end of the session, my fingers felt great. As i type, i feel no discomfort whatsoever. Going to climb a little harder tomorrow to see how i feel, but i'm thinking the best way to reduce the type of finger soreness i was experiencing is to climb on days you normally would, but much less intensely over the course of a normal session-- not necessarily for less time. Gets blood where it needs to be, keeps everything lose, and-- as a bonus-- lets you keep valuable muscle memory nice and sharp.
This is potentially good news, as i'm definitely in the camp that believes the fastest way to hurt yourself is to stay away from a sport only to jump back into it after extended downtime.

Pretty stoked.

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 4, 2009, 2:24 PM)

asiaclimber

Jul 15, 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #16 of 29 (15617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a similar problem. My PT told me it's because climbing pulls your finger joints apart and fluid fills inside of them. What he told me to do was 1. get a good finger stretching routine for after climbing. This will help to release the fluid from your joints 2. Hand Yoga(i do this every morning), hand out in front of you fingers pointed up palm away from you, stretch all of your fingers away from one another(hold for 10 sec), bend all of your fingers at the first joint to 90 degrees(hold for 10 sec), release then bend at secund joint(hold for 10 sec), release and make a fist (hold for 10 sec). Repeat excersises 5 times each hand.

This has helped me a lot and even stooped the pain I get in my elbows.

sp00ki

Jul 17, 2009, 2:30 PM
Post #17 of 29 (15550 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asiaclimber] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you say good finger stretching routine, what do you mean?
I'm really interested in this, as i don't really cool down after climbs (unless you count slowly doing v0/v1 and traversing on plastic cooling down).
Looking into hand yoga... this seems like it'll be rather helpful, thanks.

asiaclimber

Jul 19, 2009, 4:52 AM
Post #18 of 29 (15463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

finger stretch= grab each finger individually and take it threw the whole range of motion pull it back all the way, roll it down all the way and side to side. bend each finger at each joint and so on.

Hennessey

Jul 19, 2009, 5:02 AM
Post #19 of 29 (15460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use to wake up with sore fingers when I started climbing. They would stay sore and stiff throughout the morning. I bought one of those Metolius Grip Savers from REI and used it after a day of climbing. It's basically a rubberband that stretches the opposite muscles it takes to grip. Can get them cheaper on ebay though.

milesenoell

Jul 21, 2009, 2:40 AM
Post #20 of 29 (15343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

warming up the tendons and muscles that run your fingers prior to climbing can be helpful too. Squeezing some thera putty or ssomething similar is a good way to do this.

codhands

Jul 21, 2009, 2:53 AM
Post #21 of 29 (15341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Used to get that commercial fishing, wake up hands wouldn't work, arms numb from the shoulders down, would have to manually unclench one fist with the other, finger joints started making "squeeky" sounds, ridiculously popping wrists, couldn't take a rest. Take a rest.

Hennessey

Jul 21, 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #22 of 29 (15306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [codhands] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

codhands wrote:
would have to manually unclench one fist with the other, finger joints started making "squeeky" sounds, .

Sounds like ajob for some WD-40

Wunderkind

Jul 21, 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #23 of 29 (15285 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did this when I started climbing and the only fix was about 6 weeks of total rest. I started by trying to do what you're doing and take a couple days off then climb easy, but it didnt' work. I may have been worse off than you are now, but just be aware of the consequences of pushing it - two weeks now is much better than six or eight in the future.

I did some taping that seemed to help when I came back, but I think you only want to go that route temporarily while you ease back into things.

ClimbClimb

Jul 22, 2009, 5:48 PM
Post #24 of 29 (15222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wunderkind] Stiff fingers waking up, discomfort when making a fist throughout the day... Fix? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The trouble is that this stuff (no. of rest days, overuse injuries, etc) is a bit like stories about the uncle who smoke and never got lung cancer and lived until 100 -- what you describe could be perfectly healthy and normal, or it could cause the kind of chronic problem that keeps you from climbing (or doing much of anything) for weeks or months.

Partner cracklover

Jul 22, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #25 of 29 (15210 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's probably some sort of overuse injury, but to give good advice, you need a good description of what's wrong. Which you haven't even begun to do...

sp00ki wrote:
a dull discomfort at the finger tip joint.

What's a finger tip joint? A fingertip is the end of the finger, and a joint is not.

Do you have any swelling in the area of discomfort? Is it sensitive to any kind of pressure or manipulation with the other hand?

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook