Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hennessey

Jul 6, 2009, 1:05 AM
Post #1 of 26 (9901 views)
Shortcut

Best Gunks guidebook
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering what everyone's opinion on the best guidebook for The Gunks is?

ThanksSmile

dr_feelgood

Jul 6, 2009, 1:11 AM
Post #2 of 26 (9897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Hennessey] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dick.

curt

Jul 6, 2009, 1:11 AM
Post #3 of 26 (9896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

How odd that nobody thought to ask this question before.

RC.com wrote:
Your search for gunks guidebook returned 351 results in 0.428s.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25

Curt

Hennessey

Jul 6, 2009, 1:17 AM
Post #4 of 26 (9887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Dick.

Thanks. I try

dr_feelgood

Jul 6, 2009, 1:20 AM
Post #5 of 26 (9881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hennessey wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Dick.

Thanks. I try

I'm being perfectly serious.
Dick.

Hennessey

Jul 6, 2009, 1:25 AM
Post #6 of 26 (9879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Hennessey wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Dick.

Thanks. I try

Dick.

Yeah, didn't realize you coulda been talkin about the author Dick Williams. I am a dick thoughWink

bill413

Jul 6, 2009, 1:45 AM
Post #7 of 26 (9873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hennessey wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Hennessey wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Dick.

Thanks. I try

Dick.

Yeah, didn't realize you coulda been talkin about the author Dick Williams. I am a dick thoughWink
Jeez! Crazy

bill413

Jul 6, 2009, 1:46 AM
Post #8 of 26 (9871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
How odd that nobody thought to ask this question before.

RC.com wrote:
Your search for gunks guidebook returned 351 results in 0.428s.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25

Curt

So, you're implying that 351 results would produce a definitive answer to this question?

coolcat83

Jul 6, 2009, 1:46 AM
Post #9 of 26 (9865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dick williams guide to the gunks/trapps is the best I've ever used

zxcv

Jul 6, 2009, 3:25 PM
Post #10 of 26 (9808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me interject with a bit of heresy...

For the very occasional or visiting climber, the garish Extreme Angles guide allows for easier navigation due to the well-done, large pictures. You will often see people, grey Dick open, walking about and randomly asking people what climb they are on in order to locate themselves along the cliff... the EA guide can mitigate this for the area it covers. Also, that guide will make you think the Gunks are soft as they inflated the ratings on more than a few routes.

That said, the grey Dick beats the Swain guide for route description, rating accuracy and all-around utility. The historical introduction alone is worth the price.

marc801

Jul 6, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #11 of 26 (9793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zxcv] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zxcv wrote:
For the very occasional or visiting climber, the garish Extreme Angles guide allows for easier navigation due to the well-done, large pictures....Also, that guide will make you think the Gunks are soft as they inflated the ratings on more than a few routes.
Inflated doesn't begin to cover it - outright grade fabrication is more like it. When a route that is consensus 5.9 for 50 years gets an 11b rating, that's a lot more than "inflation" would suggest. The other huge problem is that a number of the routes in that book are not the actual line of the climb, but a line the author's thought "more interesting", but they keep the original name. In short, EA is good for the action photos and marginally useful for navigation, but basically an affront to Gunks climbers on every other aspect.

budman

Jul 6, 2009, 4:33 PM
Post #12 of 26 (9775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have 3 choices. The Library of Dick, The Misguided Adventures of Swain, and The Fabrications of EA. All have different things to offer. Dick is complete. Todd is handy as all areas are in one rather small book. And EA, no matter what I say I'm hosed, has good pics, will get you to the small selection of routes but you will have to judge the grades for yourself.

Actually there is another option, go there, hang out, climb with people that know the place and start writing your own. All is good no matter which you choose. See that your from Philly too. Climb at Stover? Hear that funds are being cut for the Park.

Hennessey

Jul 6, 2009, 4:39 PM
Post #13 of 26 (9769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't been to Stover this year but frequented it last year. I climb alot at Birdsboro Quarry when not taking roadtrips to better places.

It sucks they are cutting the funding at Stover but what are ya gonna do? As far as the side where High Rocks is located, the only thing that needs maintenance is the port-a-shitter, and that is what the woods are for.

Partner rgold

Jul 6, 2009, 4:44 PM
Post #14 of 26 (9760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To continue with Marc's comments, the EA book is exceptionally sloppy, inconsistent, quite often wrong, and seriously incomplete, for no less money than the far more reliable alternatives. I think it is the worst guidebook to any area I have ever seen. Dennis O'Connor's photos are the only good feature.

The navigation guides in the EA book are nicely done but actually contain less information than the corresponding guides in Dick's guidebook. Gunks climbs are not, in general, defined by major geometric features like corners and cracks, and so there is always going to be a touch of adventure and uncertainty in locating your route. This used to be part of the fun of climbing, by the way, not some awful drawback that needs to be eliminated.

For completeness and accuracy, Dick's guidebooks have no competition. The Swain guidebook is no longer up to date and most people find it to be less clear in general, but it does have the advantage of covering the entire range in one volume.

marc801

Jul 6, 2009, 5:54 PM
Post #15 of 26 (9736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hennessey wrote:
As far as the side where High Rocks is located, the only thing that needs maintenance is the port-a-shitter, and that is what the woods WAG bags are for.
Fixed that for ya.

scrapedape

Jul 9, 2009, 5:40 PM
Post #16 of 26 (9656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a copy of the Swain guide on my first visit. I couldn't make any sense of it. I left it in my pack and returned it after my trip. I looked at other people's copies of the Grey Dick or asked for some beta here and there - that was better than the Swain guide, for me at least. I got the Grey Dick before my next visit and it's never let me down since.

andersjr

Aug 18, 2009, 7:03 PM
Post #17 of 26 (9484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
To continue with Marc's comments, the EA book is exceptionally sloppy, inconsistent, quite often wrong, and seriously incomplete, for no less money than the far more reliable alternatives. I think it is the worst guidebook to any area I have ever seen. Dennis O'Connor's photos are the only good feature.

His Vedauwoo guidebook could arguably be worse.

Partner rgold

Aug 19, 2009, 1:08 AM
Post #18 of 26 (9442 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andersjr] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

andersjr wrote:

Really? That's his home area; I'd have expected a better result there. His Needles guidebook is poor too, but there are fewer in-print alternatives to it.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 19, 2009, 2:29 AM
Post #19 of 26 (9423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only glanced at the book when it first came out. The cover art was too gauche for me to possibly include it in my library, and I might have, simply for the photographs within, but for that awful cover....

I had heard others comment that route descriptions were inaccurate and often only the first pitch was detailed, so I didn't even look at them.

With the oversized shape and large four-color photos, I though the book would be serviceable for the once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Gunks for the climber who goes on their yearly vacation at various crags.... The book will certainly get them onto some of the most popular routes. And what the hell if the info is poor - I can never remember the route description once I cast off anyway!

Partner rgold

Aug 19, 2009, 4:35 AM
Post #20 of 26 (9413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Best Gunks guidebook [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, each to his or her own, but really, why pay for an extremely limited amount of faulty, inconsistent, and just plain wrong information when for the same price you can get something accurate and comprehensive?

The ghastly cover is a visual metaphor for the chaotic, slapped-together, we-can't-be-bothered-to-even-try-to-get-things-right content.

Caveat emptor!

curt

Aug 19, 2009, 4:43 AM
Post #21 of 26 (9410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
andersjr wrote:

Really? That's his home area; I'd have expected a better result there. His Needles guidebook is poor too...

Actually, that one is a piece of shit as well. You're far too kind.

Curt

Partner rgold

Aug 19, 2009, 5:36 AM
Post #22 of 26 (9400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If anyone wants more detail on why I'm so negative about this guidebook, read my comments on gunks.com

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 19, 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #23 of 26 (9383 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
Well, each to his or her own, but really, why pay for an extremely limited amount of faulty, inconsistent, and just plain wrong information when for the same price you can get something accurate and comprehensive?

The ghastly cover is a visual metaphor for the chaotic, slapped-together, we-can't-be-bothered-to-even-try-to-get-things-right content.

Caveat emptor!

...I had intended in to include in my reason as to why it might be okay for a once-to-the-Gunks vacationer was that the oversize and color photos could be used as a coffee table/trip momento!

I certainly agree that the Dick Williams guides are, unquestionably, the correct choice for Gunks climbing guides. Plus, if the *vacationer* is astute and keeps their eyes open, they'd have a good chance of seeing the man out at the cliffs and could ask him to sign their guidebook.....

sethg

Aug 20, 2009, 5:36 PM
Post #24 of 26 (9305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own the EA book and recently I've made a game of going to look at the book after I've done a classic climb to see what I find in the EA description that's faulty. There's always something.

Madame G's: for some reason, without disclosing why, they've moved the start off to the right from its traditional location. Then from the first ledge they advise the reader to climb up the correct dihedral, but only for 15 feet, when the real route follows the dihedral to its top. Contrary to this advice in the text, the topo seems to instruct the reader to climb the dihedral to its top. I could also complain that what they call a "sucker corner" is another route called Columbia.

Middle Earth: Pitch 3, as described in the text, is actually the third pitch of Wonderland, easy to identify because of the bush at the ledge to the left of the roof and the fun crack that ends the pitch. The topo again fails to match the text, sending the reader to the right (where Middle Earth actually goes) after the roof when the (Wonderland) features described in the text are to the left.

Arrow: no real problem with the description but they have to be kidding with the ratings. They rate the roof at the start of pitch 2 as 5.9 (I thought it was easier than some 5.6 roofs in the Gunks) and they rate the traditional finish to the left of the second bolt as 5.10-- my first clean 5.10 lead at the Gunks!

Hans' Puss: They send the reader up the face, for some reason, other than up the traditional corner crack. Then on the classic first pitch traverse, they have the reader stop and move upwards halfway through the traverse to go around the corner 10 feet above the bolts. Apart from the silliness of building an anchor without great pro options when you have bolts just beneath your feet, the book's mistake makes the reader skip the best part of pitch 1. The traditional traverse seems at first glance to come to a dead end, but a careful look around the corner reveals good feet and hands for the completion of the pitch. This is the adventurous, fun (and traditional) way to end the pitch, much better than their way, and I know because I recently went their way by mistake, then backed up when I realized I went too high and finished the correct way.

Directissima: Their description of a combined 1st & 2d pitch is often done by people who actually know where the route goes, but such a combination involves skipping a ramp up right to a ledge, and then a traverse from the ledge back towards the arete. The EA book is confusing, telling the reader to go to the ledge (which is off to the right), but then neglecting to include the traverse back, instead sending the reader straight up. It makes no sense.

These are but a few examples. There's a problem with literally every description I've been in a position to judge. What a sucky book.

andersjr

Aug 20, 2009, 6:28 PM
Post #25 of 26 (9291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
andersjr wrote:

Really? That's his home area; I'd have expected a better result there. His Needles guidebook is poor too, but there are fewer in-print alternatives to it.
He gave up having a "home area" when he started "writing" guidebooks professionally. All the great guidebooks that I have read in the past have come from a longtime labor of love for an area. He can't push out 5 guidebooks in 10 years (just guessing on the numbers) and think any of them would be good.

Devils Tower
Needles
Gunks
Vedauwoo
Vedauwoo Bouldering (the original author did a great job, but this book was destroyed in the EA editing process)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook