Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Best Bouldering (no ET caves)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

whiteag0

Jul 7, 2009, 5:41 PM
Post #1 of 10 (11669 views)
Shortcut

Best Bouldering (no ET caves)  (North_America: United_States: Maryland)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need some help finding good bouldering. Carder rock did not have very much and have been stuck inside the ET bouldering cave since I got back from college. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cclarke

Jul 7, 2009, 6:38 PM
Post #2 of 10 (11655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [whiteag0] Best Bouldering (no ET caves) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have a car?

whiteag0

Jul 7, 2009, 6:58 PM
Post #3 of 10 (11639 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cclarke] Best Bouldering (no ET caves) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes i do... and its filled with gear and my pad

cclarke

Jul 7, 2009, 7:23 PM
Post #4 of 10 (11632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go to Coopers Rock in WV.

You may also want to try the Northwest Branch bouldering for more local options but I am not familiar with it personally.

Also, there is a lot more bouldering around Angler's Inn than is publicized but you kind of need to keep it low key there.

FWIW, I spotted a very interesting long and overhanging band of rock right next to the C&O Canal about 8 miles north of Great Falls. It's on the other side of the canal so you'd have to get across the canal from the towpath somehow or figure out access from the other side. Might be worth checking out or it might be a total waste of time.

whiteag0

Jul 7, 2009, 7:38 PM
Post #5 of 10 (11623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cclarke] Best Bouldering (no ET caves) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the help

i think I'm going to head out to anglers Inn this afternoon and see what I can find. If anyone sees a college student wearing green shorts feel free to say hi.

I'll post any interesting spots i find tomorrow.

Properlymodified

Jul 8, 2009, 2:13 PM
Post #6 of 10 (11580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LetOet me know what you find. I'm local to Baltimore.

mikeswiz

Jul 10, 2009, 1:22 PM
Post #7 of 10 (11531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Properlymodified] Best Bouldering (no ET caves) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You may also want to check out The Harpers Ferry Bouldering Guide it has a good bit of info.

whiteag0

Jul 16, 2009, 4:58 PM
Post #8 of 10 (11481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Properlymodified] Best Bouldering (no ET caves) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok sorry this has taken so long.

the area was pretty easy to find. Parking is directly across the street from the Inn. From the parking area I got onto the tow path and started looking for rock.

What I found was dismal: poison ivy, trash, lots of vegetation which was hard to trek through with a pad on your back (I'm an eagle scout and have been "outdoorsy" all my life so i'm not just being a wimp).

I explored some some trails near the waters edge (Potomac that is) and found some ok boulders with landings that spelled broken ankle. Nothing of significance.

I would recommend going to the area during the late fall or winter so that the vegetation is gone and the rock can be seen from a distance and the area can be better explored.

No lie, I was projecting this one boulder I found, and half way up I realized there was a blue frog in the next side-pull I wanted to go to. I just walked away.

andersjr

Jul 16, 2009, 7:19 PM
Post #9 of 10 (11453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't bother, just go to coopers.

munky

Jul 16, 2009, 7:39 PM
Post #10 of 10 (11447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the deal man: Your not gonna find any properly developed convenience style bouldering in the area with the exception of the dump they called NW Branch. Personally, I wouldn't bother with this unless you've explored everything else and have others who are psyched on this "area". If I were you I would plan on doing adventure style bouldering locally on both sides of the Potomac at Great Falls. Hike the Billy Goat trail (MD side) and rim trail (VA side) and find the boulders that look good to you. There is alot of rock and the more you explore the more you will find. The problem with these areas are that there isn't really any one are that is super developed, or for that matter has the potential to contain more than a few decent problems so the name of the game is climb what looks good and move on to the next thing that catches your eye. I would suggest Toproping at Great Falls, VA instead of bouldering there. After all its like bouldering on a rope with short powerful lines.
Other than GF area, you have Sugarloaf Mtn with a few decent lines; Harpers Ferry which from what I saw I wouldn't waste my time but I have never really explored this area all that well; and Old Rag. Old Rag is the hidden gem for boulldering in the area. Its about 2 hrs from DC but has a lifetimes worth of bouldering scattered on its hillisides, not to mention the 2 mile ridgeline. Again, this is adventure bouldering where convenience is thrown out the window. Another area worth mentioning is Harrisonburg, VA near JMU. There are about 3 areas worth a few visits there, the best probablly being Second Mtn. but I prefer Rawley Springs.
Like someone already said Coopers is by far the best area for good quality established bouldering but its 3.5 hrs from the city. Another hour takes you to the NRG where its almost ridiculous to go bouldering with all the amazing routes but if you are a true pebble wrestler at heart then I would go so far as saying that the bouldering there rivals Hueco, Bishop, and HP40. Just make sure you see more of it than the worst area- Hawksnest. Check out Cotton Hill upper and lower and Beauty Mtn.

hopefully some of this rambling helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook