RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

ddt

Jul 9, 2009, 9:48 AM
Post #1 of 11 (12433 views)
Shortcut

Photos & Videos sections - new look
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

As part of the section-by-section "refresh" of Rockclimbing.com, we've now updated the look of our Photos Section and Videos Section. You'll note:
  • The My Stuff box is no longer available on the left, but rather at the top right as a dropdown.
  • E-mail is no longer available on the main navigation bar - get to it from the My Stuff dropdown.
  • News is no longer available from the main navigation bar - get to it from the home page.
  • The colors have changed. You can play around with the color scheme and vote for your favorite by clicking the five colored boxes in the right of the main navigation bar.
As we gather your feedback we'll continue to "refresh" more sections of Rockclimbing.com over the coming weeks.

Check it out and let us know what you think.

Cheers,
Daniel

(This post was edited by ddt on Jul 9, 2009, 2:52 PM)

Gmburns2000

Jul 9, 2009, 8:11 PM
Post #2 of 11 (12354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Photos & Videos sections - new look [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In general, I like the new look. It has a very modern feel to it and I think it is a bit easier to see the info.

One thing I've noticed about the photos section in particular (I haven't ventured into the video section) is that sometimes the photos come up grainy and the resolution is way out of whack. It sometimes takes several (more than 5) refreshes to get the pic to look good.

Not sure what to do about it, just pointing it out.

ddt

Jul 10, 2009, 7:12 AM
Post #3 of 11 (12293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Photos & Videos sections - new look [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
In general, I like the new look. It has a very modern feel to it and I think it is a bit easier to see the info.

Thanks for the feedback.

In reply to:
One thing I've noticed about the photos section in particular (I haven't ventured into the video section) is that sometimes the photos come up grainy and the resolution is way out of whack. It sometimes takes several (more than 5) refreshes to get the pic to look good.

If someone sees this again, please send me a link to the specific photo so we can try and sort this out.

DDT

Gmburns2000

Jul 10, 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #4 of 11 (12280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

If someone sees this again, please send me a link to the specific photo so we can try and sort this out.

DDT

You know, I don't think it's going to be a specific photo. I've noticed this on 99% of all the photos I've clicked. When I refresh a bunch of times, at some point, it fixes itself. So I'm not sure if sending you a link is going to help because when you click the link then it may be OK. I've noticed this both at work and at home, so I don't think it is a computer thing (work has IE 6.0 and home has the new IE 8.0).

I wish I knew a way to get to this. I noticed this when I was going through a deleting old / bad photos of my own, and nearly all of them showed up like this, but they all "went good" when I refreshed a few times.

fitzontherocks

Jul 10, 2009, 8:07 PM
Post #5 of 11 (12234 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks good. Does this have anything to do with the strangeness I've noticed in the "New Photos" section of the RC front page? I've posted about it, but I think some folks think I'm crazy. There's one large "Featured Photo" with four smaller "New Photos" beneath. When I click on one of the smaller New Photos, view it, and then go back, all four photos have changed. So if there are two New Photos I'd like to look at, I click on one, view it, go back, and then the second one is gone.

sungam

Jul 10, 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #6 of 11 (12227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aren't the dropdowns one of the reasons that the old hampster was so slow?

ddt

Jul 10, 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #7 of 11 (12225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Photos & Videos sections - new look [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
You know, I don't think it's going to be a specific photo. I've noticed this on 99% of all the photos I've clicked.

This is strange. Anyone else noticing this? It may have something to do with your set-up.

ddt

Jul 10, 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #8 of 11 (12223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] Photos & Videos sections - new look [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fitzontherocks wrote:
Looks good. Does this have anything to do with the strangeness I've noticed in the "New Photos" section of the RC front page? I've posted about it, but I think some folks think I'm crazy. There's one large "Featured Photo" with four smaller "New Photos" beneath. When I click on one of the smaller New Photos, view it, and then go back, all four photos have changed. So if there are two New Photos I'd like to look at, I click on one, view it, go back, and then the second one is gone.

The four "new photos" on the front page displays a random selection of 4 photos from the 100 newest photos, every time the page is loaded.

fitzontherocks

Jul 11, 2009, 1:46 PM
Post #9 of 11 (12192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Understood. It's just a little frustrating when I do see two shots in the four that I'd like to view larger. I click on the first one, view it, go back, and the second one is gone.

donald949

Jul 13, 2009, 7:33 PM
Post #10 of 11 (12048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the new feel of the photos section.

Edit/
Strike that I see the photo credit now on the right./edit end

Regarding Greg's comment about grainy. I have noticed this too. A fair amount if the time too. I would describe it as looking more like high crompression pixialated. I just looked at this picture:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...climbing_108846.html

And at first it was exactly like Greg discribed. Then I hit next to view the following picture, which was fine, and hit back, and the linked picture was fine. However the ratio had changed. It appears that this might be the cause of the grainyness, the HxW ratio is being set wrong.
Probablly need to teach the hampster how to get the ratio right.
:D

(This post was edited by donald949 on Jul 13, 2009, 9:32 PM)

dlintz

Aug 21, 2009, 8:37 PM
Post #11 of 11 (11756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
You know, I don't think it's going to be a specific photo. I've noticed this on 99% of all the photos I've clicked.

This is strange. Anyone else noticing this? It may have something to do with your set-up.

I noticed it on a pic I submitted yesterday. At first I thought I had uploaded a version with the wrong dimensions (1800x1200) or that the wide ad/sidebar on the right was taking up screen space. It took several refreshes before it would display properly so I decided to delete it altogether.

d.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook