Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Bouldering:
NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

climbinggrom

Jul 10, 2009, 5:51 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3453 views)
Shortcut

NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm an established filmmaker/videographer based in Knoxville, TN looking to make a film/video about the bouldering culture and lifestyle; particularly here in the southeast U.S. I am extremely new to the sport but would love to learn more and meet new people while contributing to the overall culture of the sport with what I know best - visual media.

While I am by no means a hollywood-type producer/director (to me - a good thing!), I am more than an amateur with a home video camera and feel as though I could significantly contribute to the sport in some way in terms of vision and media expertise.

I just need a group of people that really have a passion for the bouldering (or other forms of climbing) lifestyle that would be willing to not only help teach a complete grom but allow me access into the culture and all the reasons they love it. My film influences for this project are mostly based on surf lifestyle movies (i.e. Endless Summer, Thicker Than Water, Shelter, etc.) but I would love to somehow translate the feel of those movies into the sport of bouldering/climbing. Any help or insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

rtwilli4

Jul 10, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinggrom] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There aren't many boulders here.

acorneau

Jul 10, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #3 of 21 (3440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinggrom] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinggrom wrote:
I'm an established filmmaker/videographer based in Knoxville, TN looking to make a film/video about the bouldering culture and lifestyle; particularly here in the southeast U.S. I am extremely new to the sport but would love to learn more and meet new people while contributing to the overall culture of the sport with what I know best - visual media.

While I am by no means a hollywood-type producer/director (to me - a good thing!), I am more than an amateur with a home video camera and feel as though I could significantly contribute to the sport in some way in terms of vision and media expertise.

I just need a group of people that really have a passion for the bouldering (or other forms of climbing) lifestyle that would be willing to not only help teach a complete grom but allow me access into the culture and all the reasons they love it. My film influences for this project are mostly based on surf lifestyle movies (i.e. Endless Summer, Thicker Than Water, Shelter, etc.) but I would love to somehow translate the feel of those movies into the sport of bouldering/climbing. Any help or insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Maybe you should contact these guys:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2167043#2167043

climbinggrom

Jul 10, 2009, 6:17 PM
Post #4 of 21 (3429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

???

yuiruprup

Jul 14, 2009, 7:55 PM
Post #5 of 21 (3320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

Maybe you just haven't opened your eyes? There are a ton of boulderers in the South. Being from North Carolina I would hope that you would realize the huge bouldering potential in your own state. The southeast's bouldering potential is still largely untapped too!

rtwilli4

Jul 14, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #6 of 21 (3293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yuiruprup] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yuiruprup wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Maybe you just haven't opened your eyes? There are a ton of boulderers in the South. Being from North Carolina I would hope that you would realize the huge bouldering potential in your own state. The southeast's bouldering potential is still largely untapped too!

I was playin... of course I know about the bouldering here. That doesn't mean I want someone to come in and make another lame film about the "bouldering lifestyle," especially not in my home state!

(This post was edited by rtwilli4 on Jul 14, 2009, 8:23 PM)

sp00ki

Jul 14, 2009, 9:22 PM
Post #7 of 21 (3259 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

diss...

knieveltech

Jul 14, 2009, 9:26 PM
Post #8 of 21 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
yuiruprup wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

I was playin... of course I know about the bouldering here. That doesn't mean I want someone to come in and make another lame film about the "bouldering lifestyle," especially not in my home state!

You must not be a Boone local then. Dude should catch up with that crowd if he wants access to the "culture and lifestyle". Of course he could probably skip all that and just spend an afternoon reading the comments on 0friction. If that isn't enough to change his mind about making Yet Another Bouldering Film then hey, have at.

rtwilli4

Jul 14, 2009, 9:46 PM
Post #9 of 21 (3243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
yuiruprup wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

You must not be a Boone local then. Dude should catch up with that crowd if he wants access to the "culture and lifestyle". Of course he could probably skip all that and just spend an afternoon reading the comments on 0friction. If that isn't enough to change his mind about making Yet Another Bouldering Film then hey, have at.

nope, not a local. Grew up at the beach!

I love Boone though, and love the climbing and bouldering and general way of life in NC. I just think that even the best climbing videos are only OK, the best bouldering ones are worse, and most suck. I'm glad that there hasn't been a big name movie (that I know of) made about the climbing or bouldering in NC and I hope it stays that way.

knieveltech

Jul 14, 2009, 9:51 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
knieveltech wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
yuiruprup wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

nope, not a local. Grew up at the beach!

I love Boone though, and love the climbing and bouldering and general way of life in NC. I just think that even the best climbing videos are only OK, the best bouldering ones are worse, and most suck. I'm glad that there hasn't been a big name movie (that I know of) made about the climbing or bouldering in NC and I hope it stays that way.

There's definitely good bouldering, fortunately most folks avoid the truly good areas in favor of places like Grandmother and Ashboro. *shrug* Not my problem anymore. I gave up pebble wrestling last year. Got sick of injuring myself on V-easy.

climbinggrom

Jul 15, 2009, 6:07 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I make films/videos for the same reason I now enjoy bouldering/climbing - it's fun! I have no aspirations of "exploiting" the sport or making a buck selling "lame bouldering videos" in your local outdoor shop. Don't worry no one is gonna force anyone watch. To me it's just fun to shoot and edit stuff to screen with your friends over beers - I guess some disagree, think it's "lame" or have never tried it. I just want to combine two things I enjoy and hope to meet some cool folks while doing it. I posted mainly to meet some folks to boulder/climb with with the hopes of both becoming a better climber and being creative. Maybe the post was titled improperly or belonged in the SE Partner forum. Hey at least now I know who I don't wanna climb with!Wink

rtwilli4

Jul 15, 2009, 6:19 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinggrom wrote:
I'm an established filmmaker/videographer based in Knoxville, TN looking to make a film/video about the bouldering culture and lifestyle; particularly here in the southeast U.S.

Just came off as a little more than a hobby and way to meet people, that's all. I think it's great that you are into film work, and I know it's fun. I love taking pictures and making videos of my friends. But introducing your self as a film maker is not going to get you into a cool group of climbers. That is the same as going to a group of film producers and saying "hey guys, I'm an established rock climber and even though I don't know much about making movies, I'd like to hang out with you!"

justroberto

Jul 15, 2009, 6:41 PM
Post #13 of 21 (3152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My First Bouldering Vid, Bra:

Ingredients:

1. Posse. Cardre of topless pad people sporting tight-ish jeans rolled up into manpris. Bonus points for having a single chick in a sports bra hangin' with the boys.

2. Music. Bad techno or really bad metal that starts mellow and progressively gets more amped up for the send.

3. Subtle Camera Tilt. How else are you going to make that V1 look super-sick, brah?

3a. Weird Camera Angles. If you can't make it look sick, at least make it so no one can tell what the climb is actually like. VB? V10? Nobody knows, but it still looks sick, eh?

4. Preparation. Be sure to dedicate at least a couple minutes to showing your bros taping three or four fingers. You can kill another minute or two showing just how carefully they brush all the chalked-up holds.

4. Linguistics Gratuitous use of "bro," "brah," "sesh," "bomber," "sick," and "dab." Especially "dab" - at least 30 times over an hour and you've got yourself a flick. Also, every bro should sound like a stoner, even if he's not.

5. Sendage! A couple of shots of falling from the crux of your four move problem show everyone how hard it is and make the final sending footage look way more sweet. Be sure the music kicks into overdrive just as the crux move is finally successfully completed. Bonus points if you've got more than five spotters for a problem.

6. Aftermath Be sure to get a close-up of any flappers or blood that results from your sesh.

7. Outro Don't forget to think of a witty name for your "film company" and show a couple of bloopers. Bonus points for cameraman commentaries during the bloopers.

Good luck. You'll be posting fucking rad videos on Vimeo any day now.

climbinggrom

Jul 15, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #14 of 21 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fair enough man, I see your point. I guess to me in my world being 'established' just means I have a day job and not trying to exploit the sport, make a buck off the project or a name for myself. I guess I just want to bring something to the table to contribute so as not to be a complete sponge (although I realize we all start somewhere and being the noob has it's place for a while). My apologies if I came off as a pompous d1ck...

climbinggrom

Jul 15, 2009, 6:49 PM
Post #15 of 21 (3144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:

Ingredients:

1. Posse. Cardre of topless pad people sporting tight-ish jeans rolled up into manpris. Bonus points for having a single chick in a sports bra hangin' with the boys.

2. Music. Bad techno or really bad metal that starts mellow and progressively gets more amped up for the send.

3. Subtle Camera Tilt. How else are you going to make that V1 look super-sick, brah?

3a. Weird Camera Angles. If you can't make it look sick, at least make it so no one can tell what the climb is actually like. VB? V10? Nobody knows, but it still looks sick, eh?

4. Preparation. Be sure to dedicate at least a couple minutes to showing your bros taping three or four fingers. You can kill another minute or two showing just how carefully they brush all the chalked-up holds.

4. Linguistics Gratuitous use of "bro," "brah," "sesh," "bomber," "sick," and "dab." Especially "dab" - at least 30 times over an hour and you've got yourself a flick. Also, every bro should sound like a stoner, even if he's not.

5. Sendage! A couple of shots of falling from the crux of your four move problem show everyone how hard it is and make the final sending footage look way more sweet. Be sure the music kicks into overdrive just as the crux move is finally successfully completed. Bonus points if you've got more than five spotters for a problem.

6. Aftermath Be sure to get a close-up of any flappers or blood that results from your sesh.

7. Outro Don't forget to think of a witty name for your "film company" and show a couple of bloopers. Bonus points for cameraman commentaries during the bloopers.

I love it! Why DO they all end up exactly like this? I'm pretty new to the sport but from the vids I've seen - you nailed it...brah!

rtwilli4

Jul 15, 2009, 6:55 PM
Post #16 of 21 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinggrom wrote:
Fair enough man, I see your point. I guess to me in my world being 'established' just means I have a day job and not trying to exploit the sport, make a buck off the project or a name for myself. I guess I just want to bring something to the table to contribute so as not to be a complete sponge (although I realize we all start somewhere and being the noob has it's place for a while). My apologies if I came off as a pompous d1ck...

You didn't come off as a pompous dick. Not even close. Most people tend to get treated like crap around here so consider this your welcome to RC.com!

justroberto

Jul 15, 2009, 7:15 PM
Post #17 of 21 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinggrom wrote:
I love it! Why DO they all end up exactly like this? I'm pretty new to the sport but from the vids I've seen - you nailed it...brah!

Ha! I don't know. It's the easy formula, I guess. If you're interested in something a little different, Luxery Liner is a great climbing flick. It's not a bouldering video, but is interesting in that it's got a lot more of an intimate, personal touch to it.

(This post was edited by justroberto on Jul 15, 2009, 7:16 PM)

k.l.k

Jul 15, 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #18 of 21 (3083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:

Ingredients:

Nice.

But you left out the screaming.

sp00ki

Jul 17, 2009, 3:43 PM
Post #19 of 21 (3021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinggrom wrote:
Man, don't give up so easily.
The reason everyone's rolling their eyes isn't because no one wants a good bouldering video, but because-- short of the occasional dosage or pure-- no one ever makes good videos.
the template has already been set (mostly by the skate vids of the 90s) and nothing every diverts from the established formula.

Want to make a real flick? Make a real flick. Do something creative. Don't be a bouldering video stereotype. Make something fun for the viewer.
A documentary about "bouldering culture" is probably a bad start, but that doesn't mean your desire to make a bouldering film is completely hopeless.

See:
- Frequent Flyers
- Depthcharge (not bouldering per se, but still fun to watch)
- Dosage 3 (because remember how fun that was?)
- Dosage 5 (because watching five years of production quality evolve to this was so worth it)

(This post was edited by sp00ki on Jul 17, 2009, 3:48 PM)

Crimpcramp

Jul 17, 2009, 4:47 PM
Post #20 of 21 (2994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out Rocktown in Lafayette Ga. all bouldering out there beautiful local and rock.

good luck

tuna

Jul 18, 2009, 12:17 AM
Post #21 of 21 (2961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Crimpcramp] NEED HELP - Southern Filmmaker interested in creating a bouldering lifestyle project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok time for some good advice.

I actually work in the film industry and what I can tell you is if you want to make a movie then just do it. Just raise the money and convince other people to help with your project.

You may want to contact some of the already established guys that post videos on this site like CHETROY and LOUDERTHAN11 and NORWEJON just to get an idea or possibly collaborate on a project.

ciao
Santana

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook