Memories from Back In the Day 1 / 1%
Something I'd Like to Try 0 / 0%
Other 3 / 3%
104 total votes

karmiclimber

Jul 16, 2009, 3:21 AM
Post #26 of 32 (591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] I'll Take "What Does Climbing Mean to Me" for $500, Alex [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
hafilax wrote:
For all of you that voted lifestyle. What in the world is the climber lifestyle? What differentiates it from the rest of the thrill seeking yuppie/yippie lifestyles?
Nothing. It's just dirtier, and esoteric enough to give you an air of mystery.

Unless you're a professional climber, training constantly and living on the road and chasing standards, I really doubt you're living a climbing lifestyle. Saying you do just means you wish you did and you have this romantic ideal of "the life." It's a form of escapism. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that (I mean, it's harmless), but let's call a spade a spade. If you're a garden variety dirtbag you're probably just avoiding growing up or you're taking advantage of a lucky streak of non-urgency. Those were my excuses when I was in my sorta-dirtbag phase, and I always knew it. But hey, if that's what you like, good life if you can live it!

I sound more cynical than I am on the topic, really. I love my roadtrips and my photo opportunities and hanging at the crag with my climbing friends, but it's a diversion at most. A hobby I'd be crushed to give up, but a hobby just the same.

For me "lifestyle" equals something I plan on doing until physically incapable (ie a really old lady). Just because climbing isn't your job doesn't mean people don't make a lifestyle out of it. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but thats how I view it. It has factored into my life in a lot of ways. I wear the climbing clothes when I don't climb. I took up slacklining, mountain biking, mountaineering, cycling...although climbing is my first love:) because they are all in the same "adventure vein". I pour over climbing mags and read the books and watch the DVD's. No I'm not a pro, but its my favorite and it feels like its such a part of my life that it must be a lifestyle, cause its a crush that has never faded. Know what I mean?

macblaze

Jul 16, 2009, 4:16 AM
Post #27 of 32 (580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] I'll Take "What Does Climbing Mean to Me" for $500, Alex [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
One of the few legally sanctioned ways an "adult" can move and enjoy life like a child.

^
^
^
This is totally it.

boymeetsrock

Jul 18, 2009, 2:59 AM
Post #28 of 32 (545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] I'll Take "What Does Climbing Mean to Me" for $500, Alex [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
hafilax wrote:
For all of you that voted lifestyle. What in the world is the climber lifestyle? What differentiates it from the rest of the thrill seeking yuppie/yippie lifestyles?
Nothing. It's just dirtier, and esoteric enough to give you an air of mystery.

Unless you're a professional climber, training constantly and living on the road and chasing standards, I really doubt you're living a climbing lifestyle. Saying you do just means you wish you did and you have this romantic ideal of "the life." It's a form of escapism. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that (I mean, it's harmless), but let's call a spade a spade. If you're a garden variety dirtbag you're probably just avoiding growing up or you're taking advantage of a lucky streak of non-urgency. Those were my excuses when I was in my sorta-dirtbag phase, and I always knew it. But hey, if that's what you like, good life if you can live it!

I sound more cynical than I am on the topic, really. I love my roadtrips and my photo opportunities and hanging at the crag with my climbing friends, but it's a diversion at most. A hobby I'd be crushed to give up, but a hobby just the same.

Trophy!

Spade here.Blush

boymeetsrock

Jul 18, 2009, 3:03 AM
Post #29 of 32 (541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macblaze] I'll Take "What Does Climbing Mean to Me" for $500, Alex [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macblaze wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
One of the few legally sanctioned ways an "adult" can move and enjoy life like a child.

^
^
^
This is totally it.

My favorite experience, on any climb, on any cliff, no matter how large or small... Sitting feet out on a belay ledge. Reminds me of sitting in a high chair as a kid. Good times.

Was somebody just talking about escapism?

rtwilli4

Jul 18, 2009, 3:09 AM
Post #30 of 32 (538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] I'll Take "What Does Climbing Mean to Me" for $500, Alex [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:

For me it means that most of my decisions in life are largely based on how much I will be able to climb.

Right now that means waiting tables so that I can save enough money to buy a plane ticket back to Thailand, where I work as a "guide."

Right now that means getting up in 8 hours to guide people who may hate climbing and think that I suck.

It means that I've dumped girlfriends, turned down good jobs, and spent most of my adult life away from my family... just to climb.

It means that I spend two to four months per year living in my car and eating nothing but tuna, corn, tomatoes and macaroni.

It means that no matter what, I am having more fun than most of the people living in this country.

It means that climbing matters way more than most other things, and probably too much.

It means that if I couldn't climb, my "lifestyle" would be VERY different.

ladyscarlett

Jul 18, 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #31 of 32 (523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] I'll Take "What Does Climbing Mean to Me" for $500, Alex [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
dingus wrote:
I'll tick the Truth Box...

"Girls."

DMT

[x] Girls

[x] Guys

just kidding...sort of. There are some nice views out there on the rock...and nice views really should be enjoyed.

That aside, all I can say is that it is just balls to the wall FUN!

Yes, I'm still infatuated and I'm loving it!

ls

fresh

Jul 20, 2009, 8:10 PM
Post #32 of 32 (486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] I'll Take "What Does Climbing Mean to Me" for $500, Alex [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dunno. my heart never gave me a choice.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook