Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ddt

Jul 20, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #1 of 35 (16024 views)
Shortcut

New Home Page, Articles/News Sections
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everyone,

Over the past few weeks you must have noticed some changes here at Rockclimbing.com as we've gradually been updating the layout and colors of various sections. We've now also "refreshed" our Home Page, Articles Secion and News Section.

On the home page the most noticable change is probably that the featured photo is now displayed more prominently in the top left part of the page. Featured photos in portrait-style are also bigger than before. Apart from that we moved various things around, added some new elements, and removed a few.

Some of the other changes you'll note:
  • The My Stuff box is no longer available on the left, but rather at the top right as a dropdown.
  • E-mail is no longer available on the main navigation bar - get to it from the My Stuff dropdown.
  • News is no longer available from the main navigation bar - get to it from the home page.
  • The colors have changed. You can play around with the color scheme and vote for your favorite by clicking the five colored boxes in the right of the main navigation bar.

Check it out and let us know what you think.

Cheers,
Daniel

Gmburns2000

Jul 20, 2009, 2:05 PM
Post #2 of 35 (15999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So what happened to the new photos bar that used to be below the featured photo? I think I clicked nearly 99% of all of my photo clicks off that one feature.

ddt

Jul 20, 2009, 2:19 PM
Post #3 of 35 (15988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
So what happened to the new photos bar that used to be below the featured photo? I think I clicked nearly 99% of all of my photo clicks off that one feature.

We decided to only keep the featured photo on the home page, relying on the Photos Home Page to cater more specifically for photo viewing and browsing. Here you'll find much more in terms of new photo submissions, recently rated photos, etc.

DDT

Gmburns2000

Jul 20, 2009, 2:31 PM
Post #4 of 35 (15979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

We decided to only keep the featured photo on the home page, relying on the Photos Home Page to cater more specifically for photo viewing and browsing. Here you'll find much more in terms of new photo submissions, recently rated photos, etc.

DDT

I doubt I'll go there though. I only clicked on the photos out of interest if it caught my eye.

I understand that decision, but I think it's too bad.

granite_grrl

Jul 20, 2009, 3:02 PM
Post #5 of 35 (15968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a fan of the disappearance of the "My Stuff" tool bar. I usually log on at the front page and my first click is to "My Topics". I could cope with the extra click on one page, but I have a feeling that this will be cascaded to rest of the site.

If that is done how are you going to notify people about new messages? I like seeing the nagging red text informing me that I have a new message at the side of my screen. I'm pretty sure I'll never notice it if it's hidden away in an irritating drop down menu.

lvpyne

Jul 20, 2009, 3:17 PM
Post #6 of 35 (15963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second that.

Partner angry

Jul 20, 2009, 3:25 PM
Post #7 of 35 (15954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I'm not a fan of the disappearance of the "My Stuff" tool bar. I usually log on at the front page and my first click is to "My Topics". I could cope with the extra click on one page, but I have a feeling that this will be cascaded to rest of the site.

If that is done how are you going to notify people about new messages? I like seeing the nagging red text informing me that I have a new message at the side of my screen. I'm pretty sure I'll never notice it if it's hidden away in an irritating drop down menu.

Exactly, most of us that actually log on frequently have turned off the message that we have a new message so the red one or two on the left is the only way we know that we've got a message.

Of course we'll see it when we're anywhere but the front page but I already feel like I too many clicks to get to the worthwhile (ha!) parts of this website anyway.

mturner

Jul 20, 2009, 3:26 PM
Post #8 of 35 (15950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

I second this. It's also frustrating to see all that empty space where it used to be. Why not just keep it there then?

(This post was edited by mturner on Jul 20, 2009, 3:27 PM)

Oddball

Jul 20, 2009, 3:35 PM
Post #9 of 35 (15940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:

I agree, alot of good stuff has been taken away. Homepage is much more useless and more confusing.

Partner cracklover

Jul 20, 2009, 3:37 PM
Post #10 of 35 (15937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the new page. It's cleaner looking, and the larger featured photo is a big plus. The only downside is the two big empty white boxes on the right. What are they all about?

As for the "my messages" issue and the "my topics" issue, neither of these bother me, because I don't go to the home page first.

You guys who are bothered by that should do as I do: don't bother bookmarking the home page. Instead, bookmark http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?do=my_topics

That's always my first stop at rc.com. After that, if I still have time to kill, I go to the home page.

Cheers,

GO

mturner

Jul 20, 2009, 3:58 PM
Post #11 of 35 (15925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I like the new page. It's cleaner looking, and the larger featured photo is a big plus. The only downside is the two big empty white boxes on the right. What are they all about?

As for the "my messages" issue and the "my topics" issue, neither of these bother me, because I don't go to the home page first.

You guys who are bothered by that should do as I do: don't bother bookmarking the home page. Instead, bookmark http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?do=my_topics

That's always my first stop at rc.com. After that, if I still have time to kill, I go to the home page.

Cheers,

GO

Problem with that is I like to check the new photos and threads out on the homepage and then go to my topics.

sungam

Jul 20, 2009, 4:22 PM
Post #12 of 35 (15911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Exactly, most of us that actually log on frequently have turned off the message that we have a new message so the red one or two on the left is the only way we know that we've got a message.

Of course we'll see it when we're anywhere but the front page but I already feel like I too many clicks to get to the worthwhile (ha!) parts of this website anyway.
Yesh. Me knot lykez t3h nu layout!

Partner cracklover

Jul 20, 2009, 4:23 PM
Post #13 of 35 (15911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Cheers,

GO

Problem with that is I like to check the new photos and threads out on the homepage and then go to my topics.

Well if you'll pardon my saying so - checking new photos from the front page has never been a good way to do so. It only listed around the last three of them. And the photo-mods typically approve them in batches of like 20 or so. So you'd only ever be seeing 3 out of 20 new photos.

If you don't have something else planned for them already, this might be a good use for at least one of the two blank white boxes currently appearing on the left side of the screen: you (meaning whoever's doing the redesign) could fit probably 10-15 new photos in one of them. That would be quite nice.

GO

Gmburns2000

Jul 20, 2009, 5:07 PM
Post #14 of 35 (15894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
mturner wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Cheers,

GO

Well if you'll pardon my saying so - checking new photos from the front page has never been a good way to do so. It only listed around the last three of them. And the photo-mods typically approve them in batches of like 20 or so. So you'd only ever be seeing 3 out of 20 new photos.

actually, lately, they've have a nice rotation of about 20 photos or so. So it isn't always just the last 4 photos, but the last 20 instead.

In reply to:
If you don't have something else planned for them already, this might be a good use for at least one of the two blank white boxes currently appearing on the left side of the screen: you (meaning whoever's doing the redesign) could fit probably 10-15 new photos in one of them. That would be quite nice.

GO

I was thinking the same thing. The blank white boxes are kind of annoying. It would be nice to have the "my stuff" and the "newest photos" in those boxes.

I also never go to "my stuff' unless there is a reason to, and I have a reason to about once per month. I always start with the homepage to see what topics are up, then I wander based on boredom.

Partner epoch

Jul 20, 2009, 5:47 PM
Post #15 of 35 (15879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

...or email.

I agree too, that we should have a box on the front page that gives us alerts to our messages, email, and shortcuts to My Topics at the the minimum.

atpeaceinbozeman

Jul 20, 2009, 6:32 PM
Post #16 of 35 (15849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd rather see 'new photos' on the front page over 'new members'... that seems like an odd choice...

mturner

Jul 20, 2009, 7:58 PM
Post #17 of 35 (15811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atpeaceinbozeman] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
I'd rather see 'new photos' on the front page over 'new members'... that seems like an odd choice...

oh wow, yeah I didn't even realize those where new members. Just figured they were new photos. Yeah who cares about new members?! I'd definitely rather see photos.

ddt

Jul 20, 2009, 8:29 PM
Post #18 of 35 (15796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
I agree too, that we should have a box on the front page that gives us alerts to our messages, email, and shortcuts to My Topics at the the minimum.

This is a good suggestion. Give us a day or so to work on something that will fill this gap.

As for the rest of the feedback... keep it coming. We're open to your suggestions and will make more changes in the coming days.

DDT

sungam

Jul 20, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #19 of 35 (15792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atpeaceinbozeman] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
Yeah, I agree.
Somehow having access to all the top rated photos that appear on the FP without having to search for ages would be good, too - so if you see a photo and wanna see it again, you can find it easily.

mturner

Jul 20, 2009, 8:42 PM
Post #20 of 35 (15785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
epoch wrote:

This is a good suggestion. Give us a day or so to work on something that will fill this gap.

As for the rest of the feedback... keep it coming. We're open to your suggestions and will make more changes in the coming days.

DDT

Thanks for all the hard work. I know it's an onslaught of negativity, but I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts to improve the site.

Lazlo

Jul 21, 2009, 2:00 AM
Post #21 of 35 (15693 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] New Home Page, Articles/News Sections [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
angry wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:

Yesh. Me knot lykez t3h nu layout!

I don't like the layout much as well. The loss of "My Topics" is a hard hit

Partner abe_ascends

Jul 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #22 of 35 (15624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not a fan of the new changes either.

As far as navigation is concerned, top and sidebar menus should be universally accessible throughout the site, and shouldn't move around. Ever.

"Home," "Forums," "Routes," etc. is well placed as the top menu with the greyish contextual menu directly below. If you are really set on making drop-downs to tidy things up a bit, the grey contextual menu items could drop-down from their parent categories, though I don't really feel that this would be necessary, as it is nice having contextual items right in front of you.

"My Stuff" is also well placed as the left side-bar (not drop-down), and should remain there, no matter where you navigate to in the site.

These points (ie. universal navigation) are paramount for usability, and should be considered a first priority. What goes in the body of the site (and where) is more flexible and can be achieved via trial and error and user input.

Lastly, thank you for your tireless efforts to improve the site and its design. It is greatly appreciated.

Partner abe_ascends

Jul 21, 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #23 of 35 (15620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as the homepage is concerned, Big Photo (with recent photos) and forum discussion topics up top ("above the fold") please!

ddt

Jul 21, 2009, 1:52 PM
Post #24 of 35 (15598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OK... we've made some changes to the home page:

1. Added "My Stuff" box to the top right, with indications for new messages and e-mail as before
2. Added recent photos in the right sidebar - 2 rows of 4 each, randomly selected from 100 most recent submissions

DDT

Partner j_ung

Jul 21, 2009, 2:22 PM
Post #25 of 35 (15583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll need time to play with it before I offer any feedback, but my first impression is YAY! I'm absolutely thrilled that you guys decided to push on with the plan to make the page static width. I think will pay off big time for you and users in the long run.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook