Forums: Climbing Information: Beginners:
Post deleted by mikebarter387
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All


boymeetsrock


Jul 20, 2009, 7:11 AM
Post #76 of 108 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 11, 2005
Posts: 1709

Re: [billcoe_] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Tongue 'atta boy billcoe_ !!!

Obviously you missed the last "lowering through the chains" thread ! Cool


lrossi


Jul 20, 2009, 7:50 AM
Post #77 of 108 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 4, 2005
Posts: 118

Re: [boymeetsrock] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What is the downside of just always having a couple of slings always girth-hitched to your harness? None.

I'm a clumsy fucktard who drops stuff. I'll never drop something girth-hitched to my harness. I'll never be at an anchor with no way to tie in.


Partner angry


Jul 20, 2009, 8:00 AM
Post #78 of 108 (2223 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 21, 2003
Posts: 8405

Re: [billcoe_] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Lowering off chains is a total idiot N00b move.

Unless it's an emergency or there is some other extenuating circumstance, don't do it. Thread and rap.

Shut up


dynosore


Jul 20, 2009, 8:57 AM
Post #79 of 108 (2189 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2004
Posts: 1768

Re: [angry] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Take a whipper onto the bolt below, climb up, clean the draw, and repeat all the way down. Hopefully the crux is not near the ground and you can downclimb the last little bit. Always bring a crash pad.

Sorry, that's the only solution I can think of that's as dumb as the original question......


jt512


Jul 20, 2009, 9:19 AM
Post #80 of 108 (2174 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21904

Re: [lrossi] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lrossi wrote:

I'm a clumsy fucktard who drops stuff. I'll never drop something girth-hitched to my harness. I'll never be at an anchor with no way to tie in.

I guess that consigns you to top roping for life.

Jay


lrossi


Jul 20, 2009, 9:21 AM
Post #81 of 108 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 4, 2005
Posts: 118

Re: [jt512] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
lrossi wrote:

I'm a clumsy fucktard who drops stuff. I'll never drop something girth-hitched to my harness. I'll never be at an anchor with no way to tie in.

I guess that consigns you to top roping for life.

Jay

No, I just carry extra stuff.


jt512


Jul 20, 2009, 9:23 AM
Post #82 of 108 (2169 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21904

Re: [lrossi] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lrossi wrote:
jt512 wrote:
lrossi wrote:

I'm a clumsy fucktard who drops stuff. I'll never drop something girth-hitched to my harness. I'll never be at an anchor with no way to tie in.

I guess that consigns you to top roping for life.

Jay

No, I just carry extra stuff.

That rather weakens your rationale for having a bunch of webbing girth hitched to your harness all the time.

Jay


lrossi


Jul 20, 2009, 9:35 AM
Post #83 of 108 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 4, 2005
Posts: 118

Re: [jt512] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:

That rather weakens your rationale for having a bunch of webbing girth hitched to your harness all the time.

Jay

I just don't see the downside of carrying them. Thin slings weigh practically nothing.


sungam


Jul 20, 2009, 9:50 AM
Post #84 of 108 (2143 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26800

Re: [sittingduck] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sittingduck wrote:
sungam wrote:
First off, I'd tie the hollow fig-8 before larks footing, and yes it would be awkward, but I personally just don't like fucking around and untying and tying in repeatedly. In my opinion, that's when fatal mistakes get made.

You would be completely loose from the rope using your method. Fucking around trying to thread the chains you might drop it.
Only a retard wouldn't fix it to themselves in some way. Perhaps a clove hitch to the one biner you have or such that like.


marc801


Jul 20, 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #85 of 108 (2126 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2806

Re: [sungam] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
sungam wrote:
First off, I'd tie the hollow fig-8 before larks footing, and yes it would be awkward, but I personally just don't like fucking around and untying and tying in repeatedly. In my opinion, that's when fatal mistakes get made.

You would be completely loose from the rope using your method. Fucking around trying to thread the chains you might drop it.
Only a retard wouldn't fix it to themselves in some way. Perhaps a clove hitch to the one biner you have or such that like.
Again, you can thread a bight of rope through a 3/8" chain link without untying.


Johnny_Fang


Jul 20, 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #86 of 108 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 19, 2006
Posts: 289

Re: [sittingduck] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Look at this, I go away for a few days on a climbing trip, come back, and discover that rc.com is just as fucking stupid as it was when I left. Why do I waste my time here?


jt512


Jul 20, 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #87 of 108 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21904

Re: [lrossi] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

lrossi wrote:
jt512 wrote:

That rather weakens your rationale for having a bunch of webbing girth hitched to your harness all the time.

Jay

I just don't see the downside of carrying them. Thin slings weigh practically nothing.

More weight and bulk, and if you carry them instead of extra draws, then less utility. Plus they make you look like a total n00b almost as much as carrying two belay devices.

Jay


budman


Jul 20, 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #88 of 108 (2099 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 10, 2004
Posts: 170

Re: [mikebarter387] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

For what it's worth! Top rope off your own gear and thread and rap. What's accepted at a crag doesn't make it right. As to getting off a climb with chains, use the sling to rack booty gear and clip the locker through two upper links, clip in to your harness and lock the gate. Remember to anchor your rope before you untie, don't want to drop that puppy with all the ladies present. Thread the rope and blah, blah, blah, ............................. Hopefully I'll have a little more than a locker and a sling when I reach the anchor, but not a whole lot more.


ski.ninja


Jul 20, 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #89 of 108 (2077 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 7, 2008
Posts: 123

Re: [sittingduck] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

sittingduck wrote:
ski.ninja wrote:
I'd rather lose my toe in a chainsaw accident then my whole leg, but the point is that I shouldn't have put myself in a situation where that was likely to happen in the first place. This entire scenario smacks of poor planning and lack of foresight. This is a sport route we're talking about, where copious amounts of information through sources such as guidebooks and/or local climbers would be available prior to the climber arriving at the crag.

You are correct, let for the sake of the challenge say you dropped your extra draws at the climb?

You are getting ornery and this is becoming tedious. I may be recovering from surgery and drugged up to the gills, but even I have limits. You may have invaded my homeland, Viking, but our Skraelings sent you packing! We will not be intimidated by your iron weapons and woven fabrics!


sittingduck


Jul 20, 2009, 12:59 PM
Post #90 of 108 (2058 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 19, 2003
Posts: 338

Re: [sungam] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
sungam wrote:
First off, I'd tie the hollow fig-8 before larks footing, and yes it would be awkward, but I personally just don't like fucking around and untying and tying in repeatedly. In my opinion, that's when fatal mistakes get made.

You would be completely loose from the rope using your method. Fucking around trying to thread the chains you might drop it.
Only a retard wouldn't fix it to themselves in some way. Perhaps a clove hitch to the one biner you have or such that like.

Why be cruel and have the retards drop their ropes?
You might find opening and closing a weighted biner difficult if it where a hanging belay.


spanishbombs


Jul 20, 2009, 1:07 PM
Post #91 of 108 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 31, 2009
Posts: 13

Re: lowering v. rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, everyone knows it is bad to top-rope off rings/chains (except in Hawaii, apparently).

However, there seems to be a lot of signal-to-noise about whether you rap or lower off of chains/rap rings. I also find a lot of conflicting opinions in real life. Would it be possible to actually decide whether you are allowed to lower off rings/chains or if you are supposed to rap? Thanks.


sittingduck


Jul 20, 2009, 1:16 PM
Post #92 of 108 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 19, 2003
Posts: 338

Re: [ski.ninja] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ski.ninja wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
ski.ninja wrote:
I'd rather lose my toe in a chainsaw accident then my whole leg, but the point is that I shouldn't have put myself in a situation where that was likely to happen in the first place. This entire scenario smacks of poor planning and lack of foresight. This is a sport route we're talking about, where copious amounts of information through sources such as guidebooks and/or local climbers would be available prior to the climber arriving at the crag.

You are correct, let for the sake of the challenge say you dropped your extra draws at the climb?

You are getting ornery and this is becoming tedious. I may be recovering from surgery and drugged up to the gills, but even I have limits. You may have invaded my homeland, Viking, but our Skraelings sent you packing! We will not be intimidated by your iron weapons and woven fabrics!

I'm injured and bored to, shoulder messed up after a tomahawk and now the snow is gone Unsure


acorneau


Jul 20, 2009, 1:24 PM
Post #93 of 108 (2030 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 6, 2008
Posts: 2889

Re: [spanishbombs] lowering v. rappelling [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

spanishbombs wrote:
Would it be possible to actually decide whether you are allowed to lower off rings/chains or if you are supposed to rap? Thanks.


No.


Expanded answer: Every region/area/crag has it's own ethics, traditions, customs, and even "hardware budget", so what works for one crag may not be the best for another.


zchandran


Jul 20, 2009, 1:25 PM
Post #94 of 108 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 11, 2008
Posts: 120

Re: [sittingduck] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sittingduck wrote:
ski.ninja wrote:
I'd rather lose my toe in a chainsaw accident then my whole leg, but the point is that I shouldn't have put myself in a situation where that was likely to happen in the first place. This entire scenario smacks of poor planning and lack of foresight. This is a sport route we're talking about, where copious amounts of information through sources such as guidebooks and/or local climbers would be available prior to the climber arriving at the crag.

You are correct, let for the sake of the challenge say you dropped your extra draws at the climb?

Come on, if you're going to "what if" this to death, at least come up with some more plausible scenarios:

While in the midst of implementing your solution, your belayer stroked out and is now lying face down on top of his ATC device. You can't see his hands or the rope going through it. There is tension in the rope but you don't know if it will hold your weight.

Also, you're in the middle of grizzly bear country and rain is starting to gently fall.

Go.


sungam


Jul 20, 2009, 1:36 PM
Post #95 of 108 (2018 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26800

Re: [sittingduck] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sittingduck wrote:
You might find opening and closing a weighted biner difficult if it where a hanging belay.
Sorry, I don't use 25 year old beaners, so this isn't an issue.
And sorry for my immature choice of words, that was harsh of me.


chilli


Jul 20, 2009, 1:49 PM
Post #96 of 108 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 11, 2007
Posts: 401

Re: [Johnny_Fang] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Johnny_Fang wrote:
Look at this, I go away for a few days on a climbing trip, come back, and discover that rc.com is just as fucking stupid as it was when I left. Why do I waste my time here?

haha. what a coincidence; i was just thinking the same thing.


shermanr6


Jul 20, 2009, 1:50 PM
Post #97 of 108 (1998 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 13, 2006
Posts: 79

Re: [sungam] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

1. Thread the sling through both chains.
2. Tie an overhand with both ends of the sling.
3. Clip both loops to your belay loop with the locker.
4. Thread the chains and lower.


jt512


Jul 20, 2009, 2:04 PM
Post #98 of 108 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21904

Re: [sungam] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
You might find opening and closing a weighted biner difficult if it where a hanging belay.
Sorry, I don't use 25 year old beaner...

I can think of a number of follow-ups to this comment, anyone of which would get me into deep trouble.

Jay


sungam


Jul 20, 2009, 2:09 PM
Post #99 of 108 (1981 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26800

Re: [jt512] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
You might find opening and closing a weighted biner difficult if it where a hanging belay.
Sorry, I don't use 25 year old beaner...

I can think of a number of follow-ups to this comment, anyone of which would get me into deep trouble.

Jay
You mean like how beaner is only 22?


sittingduck


Jul 20, 2009, 2:13 PM
Post #100 of 108 (1976 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 19, 2003
Posts: 338

Re: [sungam] Lowering through chains/Total War version [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
sittingduck wrote:
You might find opening and closing a weighted biner difficult if it where a hanging belay.
Sorry, I don't use 25 year old beaners, so this isn't an issue.
And sorry for my immature choice of words, that was harsh of me.

Would you not prefer a method that worked with all carabiners with no criteria for brand or age? Opening and closing carabiners that is a vital part of the belay should not be encouraged.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook