Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

welle

Jul 22, 2009, 9:09 PM
Post #26 of 31 (985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
Skidemon27 wrote:
Guran wrote:
yankinoz wrote:
ATC
Simple as that.

The complete idiots guide to not dropping the device:

1) Hold atc and belay biner spine with one hand. Open biner gate and remove from gear loop. (*)
2) Still holding on to both device and biner, attach biner to belay loop.
3) Thread the rope through the slot(s) in the device.
4) Open biner gate and insert rope in biner. Should you fumble now, the device is most likely held by rope friction.
5) Lock biner.
6) Done.

(*) this is the only time you might drop the device along with the biner. If you are not able to transfer a biner with attached belay device from a gear loop to your belay loop without dropping it, please never ever climb above me or anyone else.

did u really have to give a us a play by play??

wats next?

proper shoe lace tieing
I'm sure a few people on this site would benefit from that too.

yep, like square vs. granny knot: http://www.shoeknots.com/version1/knots.html

bill413

Jul 23, 2009, 3:26 AM
Post #27 of 31 (961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

altelis wrote:
bill413 wrote:
a-e-jones wrote:
MentalTunnel wrote:
I am looking for a belay device that can stay attached to the locking biner while while putting a rope on or off. Mark Twight suggests a Bachli Seilbremse which I believe is the below device:

http://www.baechli-bergsport.ch/...ssin-Seilbremsen.htm

It seems to just have the loop to one side and a way to add another way to secure it so it cannot be dropped. Does anyone know if it is possible to get one in North America?

by the sounds of it even you'd manage to drop a hip belay :P
LaughLaugh

The loop that MT mentions is for using the device in autoblock mode. So, not only are you talking about something that is getting you scorn, but you don't seem to be aware of the uses of the device. *Sigh*

You should know how to belay with more than one device. If you are really worried about dropping it, carry 2learn the munter or hip belay. Learn to body belay - very old school, but still very effective (and "better" in some situations). Learn to rig a biner brake so you can rap down.

Knowledge is safety.

fixdt Wink

Thnx!
(& nice sig Smile)

MentalTunnel

Jul 23, 2009, 3:36 AM
Post #28 of 31 (954 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you everyone for the help.

Guran

Jul 23, 2009, 8:16 AM
Post #29 of 31 (942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MentalTunnel] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MentalTunnel wrote:
Thank you everyone for the help.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh before, but my main points are:

* While climbing, there are certainly things you simply must not ever drop. (Most importantly your partner) A belay device can always be substituted by something else and hence does not belong on that list.

* You would only drop a belay device if you fumbled in a situation where you can afford to be systematic. You're at a belay station for Bobs sake! Sure, speed is safety and quick transitions are key yada yada, but speed and carelessness are not the same.

* The only way to drop proof anything is to tether it. Tethers are a freaking hassle that makes it far more likely that you fumble and drop something really important.

shockabuku

Jul 23, 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #30 of 31 (929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MentalTunnel] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can attach and detach an ATC from the rope without removing it from the belay biner. It's just a little more difficult. It requires pulling the bights of rope farther through the belay device to get them over the nose of the biner and adjusting the position of the belay device retention cable to create the room to get the bight through the cable.

Alpinisto

Jul 23, 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #31 of 31 (925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Drop Proof Belay Device? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
You can attach and detach an ATC from the rope without removing it from the belay biner. It's just a little more difficult. It requires pulling the bights of rope farther through the belay device to get them over the nose of the biner and adjusting the position of the belay device retention cable to create the room to get the bight through the cable.

^^^This iz korrekt.

And it's what I practice, every time I put/take someone on/off belay. I think I first read about it in Connoly's or Twight's book. After a while it becomes second nature and now dropping my belay device is one less thing to have to worry about.

(Though I do agree with the folks upthread that learning to belay with a Munter is the ultimate "non-droppable" belay device.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook