Bolt relentless crack
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbordiecow

Jul 30, 2009, 3:31 PM
Post #1 of 42 (13431 views)
Shortcut

Bolt relentless crack  (North_America: United_States: Minnesota: Central_East: Barn_Bluff)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am thinking about adding 5 bolts to the relentless direct. I would also re-bolt the anchors. I know this has been led on gear and the two fixed pitons (one of which is gone and the other is shite). Honestly, this rock is too choss to trust gear and this line is too cool to not climb. Speak now or hold your peace. Please- only thoughtful replies. ye or ne, I am curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Partner climboard

Jul 30, 2009, 4:01 PM
Post #2 of 42 (13386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbordiecow] Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bolting cracks, this always makes for a lively thread.

vegastradguy

Jul 30, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #3 of 42 (13381 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climboard] Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

generally speaking- if its been led on gear, then it should stay as a gear only climb.

of course, if the crag is a generally accepted sport crag where every other route is bolted and this one is kind of a one off....then i'd say local ethics prevail.

in either case, polling the local community is really the way to go- what folks think on rc.com really doesnt apply, since ethics vary across the country from crag to crag.

chilli

Jul 30, 2009, 4:05 PM
Post #4 of 42 (13380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm surprised nobody in your area has anything to say one way or the other so far.

having absolutely no familiarity with the area or the rock quality, my opinion carries no real weight...

that being said, if it's been led on gear before, i'm sure it can be done again, especially if it's a crack as the thread title suggests. honestly, i'm big on sticking to the FA's precident. if they did it sans-bolts, then i would kindly request that you do the same and maintain the rock in its natural form as much as possible. in a slightly different case, a friend of mine wants to bolt a 40-50ft line around here that i plan to investigate and offer up my gear (if the proposed route takes it) for the falls so he can climb it without bolting it (putting my money where my mouth is, quite literally). i hope some similar compromise can be reached in your case.

on the other hand, like i said, i don't know your area or the choss, so my opinion really carries no bearing on the matter, but being one who's pretty into natural/removable pro, i do respectfully ask that you reconsider the possibiilties.

kennoyce

Jul 30, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #5 of 42 (13376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Before even thinking about it you must find out who made the FA and get their permission.

climbordiecow

Jul 30, 2009, 4:35 PM
Post #6 of 42 (13348 views)
Shortcut

Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI-

This area is known for frequent rockfall because of the meager density/hardness of the rock.

The FA was done with 2 fixed pitons that are now gone or rendered rusty and useless.

I have aid'd this route and you are looking at 20+ ft runout with poor to no pro, possible groundfall.

Although many of the pioneers of Barnes Bluff lead on gear, 98% of the routes are now bolted (many of them crack lines) because of the low density rock. I commend the boldness of FA'ers, but no one should die climbing a 60 crack climb in MN.

Lets keep this to locals. I am aware of the ethics involved, but if you have not climbed here it would be hard to know.

I commend everyone for their comments.

I trad climb 5.12 btw if that makes a diff.

(This post was edited by climbordiecow on Jul 30, 2009, 4:37 PM)

climbingWI

Jul 30, 2009, 6:21 PM
Post #7 of 42 (13312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being from the area and climbing often in Red Wing I agree with ClimborDieCow that the rock is soft. The fact that they used pitons to climb the route in the first place, with few places for good solid pro and a potential for ground falls; I see no harm in bolting it now. Like he said 98% of the crag is already bolted. I say ye.

nkane

Jul 30, 2009, 6:33 PM
Post #8 of 42 (13301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingWI] Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If 98% of the crag is bolted, why not leave one bold lead for those who wish to test their mettle?

If there are plenty of other sport routes at the crag, I see little point in taking away the remaining runout climb. Leave it the way it is and maintain the variety at your local area. Not every climb need be made "safe."

(This post was edited by nkane on Jul 30, 2009, 6:34 PM)

kennoyce

Jul 30, 2009, 7:24 PM
Post #9 of 42 (13252 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The FA was done with 2 fixed pitons that are now gone or rendered rusty and useless.

There you go, that's your answer, replace the 2 fixed pins so that you are leaving it in the style of the FA, you're also still leaving a decently bold route for anyone who enjoys that type of thing, and you're not just bringing the rock down to your level.

In reply to:

No difference except that I have lost all respect for you since you're just spewing numbers to make youreself feel good.

sgreer

Jul 30, 2009, 7:31 PM
Post #10 of 42 (13247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
No difference except that I have lost all respect for you since you're just spewing numbers to make youreself feel good.

ClassicCool

potreroed

Jul 30, 2009, 7:32 PM
Post #11 of 42 (13242 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This should be a decision of whoever made the FA. If they are not available I say go ahead and bolt it.

IsayAutumn

Jul 30, 2009, 7:35 PM
Post #12 of 42 (13235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbordiecow wrote:

Oh, you climb 5.12? Well then, go ahead and bolt it.

chilli

Jul 30, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #13 of 42 (13219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you've already heard my personal opinion regarding bolts so i won't beleaguer the thread further by repeating it.

it just occurred to me that there's really very little need for this thread to exist in the first place (no offense), b/c when it really comes down to it, the issue is a local matter. it's really between you, whoever did the FA, and your local climber's coalition and/or local climber access gurus. around here we have the CCC. surely you could talk directly with the FA'ist & your CCC-equivalent-coalition to find the real answer instead of a forum poll, which is going to be skewed and packed with people like me railing against the idea with no notion of the local ethics or rock.

please take your time and get their input (esp. FA) before going ahead.

Partner climboard

Jul 30, 2009, 7:49 PM
Post #14 of 42 (13216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IsayAutumn] Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are a 5.12 trad leader, why would you want to bolt a 5.12 trad line?

As others have said, either get a hold of the FA, or replace the pins and sack up.

rtwilli4

Jul 30, 2009, 7:57 PM
Post #15 of 42 (13207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbordiecow wrote:
FYI-

This area is known for frequent rockfall because of the meager density/hardness of the rock.
That sucks, you should probably find somewhere else to climb.

climbordiecow wrote:

Were they already fixed on the FA? Who put them in? Could you get pro in the scar or the crack where the pin was?

climbordiecow wrote:
I have aid'd this route and you are looking at 20+ ft runout with poor to no pro, possible groundfall.
Umm, welcome to trad climbing?
climbordiecow wrote:
Although many of the pioneers of Barnes Bluff lead on gear, 98% of the routes are now bolted (many of them crack lines) because of the low density rock. I commend the boldness of FA'ers, but no one should die climbing a 60 crack climb in MN.

Ok I'll give you this one. Sounds like you just need to talk to the person who did the FA and see what he has to say.
climbordiecow wrote:
Lets keep this to locals. I am aware of the ethics involved, but if you have not climbed here it would be hard to know.
Isn't there a better way to talk to locals than through the internet. You know like... actually talking to them in real life?

climbordiecow wrote:
I commend everyone for their comments.

It doesn't make a diff. other than that tells us all that you probably got on here just to get a chance to say that.

climbordiecow

Jul 30, 2009, 8:16 PM
Post #16 of 42 (13175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what a bunch of sprayers! my god.....

first off- the point concerning the 5.12 trad is simply to point out that this climb is within my ability to lead on gear.. not a pat on my own back. if you took it that way then YOU probably have the chip on your shoulder. I would not bolt this to make this climb any easier...simply safer.

second- I have asked locals.. this is simply another method of communication that allows anyone I missed to voice their opinion. Why diss any form of communication?

third- I am no stranger to fear, but the point I am trying to make is that there is a diff between fear and throwing all caution aside. If thats how you want to climb then just go free solo.

fourth- Climb elsewhere? I would love to climb else where ...wtf does that have to do with this thread? I am discussing climbing here.

that being said.. Im bolting this mother.

el_layclimber

Jul 30, 2009, 8:16 PM
Post #17 of 42 (13175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If the rock is choss, why bother bolting it? If you want it to be safe, top rope it. If you want to take some sporty falls, TR it with a loop of rope hanging down to your feet.

climbordiecow

Jul 30, 2009, 8:17 PM
Post #18 of 42 (13172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cant top rope here the top has an erosion problem. good idea tho.

climbordiecow

Jul 30, 2009, 8:21 PM
Post #19 of 42 (13166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I appreciate all input that was intelligent and thoughtful.

codhands

Jul 30, 2009, 8:33 PM
Post #20 of 42 (13148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't you save your money and effort. They will most likely just get chopped.

rtwilli4

Jul 30, 2009, 8:50 PM
Post #21 of 42 (13116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [codhands] Bolt relentless crack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

codhands wrote:
Why don't you save your money and effort. They will most likely just get chopped.

The route is in Minnesota! I doubt anyone cares enough to chop them.

zeke_sf

Jul 30, 2009, 8:58 PM
Post #22 of 42 (13110 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbordiecow wrote:

Hmm... I usually like the input that is stupid and hastily doled out. Mostly because it's easier to make fun of.

To your credit, it sounds like you're doing your homework on this line. I guess it comes down to the battle between keeping a climb as a seldom-repeated project fit only for frothy-lipped, hard-climbing suicidal alcoholics, and the choice of fitting it out to be an oft-repeated crag classic whose holds are now polished into slippery oblivion by pussified number chasers. Either way: Good luck!

Partner j_ung

Jul 30, 2009, 9:06 PM
Post #23 of 42 (13100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbordiecow wrote:

Intelligent and thoughtful = "Yes, bolt that sucker"?

(This post was edited by j_ung on Jul 30, 2009, 9:06 PM)

gregory_huey

Jul 30, 2009, 10:06 PM
Post #24 of 42 (13049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, my thought is that the preference of the FA should prevail, period. If you ask the FA, and they don't care, then why should anyone else object?

If the FA doesn't care, then I'd say sure, why not:

A bolted crack would be a good route to train on for those breaking into the grade.

It would be nice for those who have yet to purchase a full rack.

Of course, be certain that a bolt placement doesn't interfere with/compromise a gear placement.

If the rock is chossy, bolting might reduce the risk of injury - but better make sure the bolts are *bomber* (one can inspect & reset gear, but bolts just have to be good).

I suppose some people might object to the bolts because they might, for reasons unknown, feel compelled to use them while leading - needed or not. Personally, no one has ever held a gun to my head and demanded I clip a bolt that I thought I didn't need. If someone else climbs the route and uses a bolt I didn't need, why the heck should I care? It doesn't in any way reduce my experience.

Later,
Greg Huey

joeforte

Jul 31, 2009, 2:23 AM
Post #25 of 42 (13023 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbordiecow wrote:
what a bunch of sprayers! my god.....

first off- the point concerning the 5.12 trad is simply to point out that this climb is within my ability to lead on gear.. not a pat on my own back. if you took it that way then YOU probably have the chip on your shoulder. I would not bolt this to make this climb any easier...simply safer.

second- I have asked locals.. this is simply another method of communication that allows anyone I missed to voice their opinion. Why diss any form of communication?

third- I am no stranger to fear, but the point I am trying to make is that there is a diff between fear and throwing all caution aside. If thats how you want to climb then just go free solo.

fourth- Climb elsewhere? I would love to climb else where ...wtf does that have to do with this thread? I am discussing climbing here.

that being said.. Im bolting this mother.

You still haven't mentioned what the FAist's opinion is, which makes me assume you still have not contacted him/her. Before you retrobolt anything, make sure you contact the FAist, or it will get chopped. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook