Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Leave your damn kids at home
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

shockabuku

Aug 5, 2009, 2:54 PM
Post #251 of 357 (3552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
dingus wrote:
Tell you what - when the screamers STFU and the spraylords stfu and the betamasters stuf then they've a case against loud children.

But not until then.

Scream on kids. Those angry young men don't own the crag.

DMT

I'm none of the above, therefore my opinion is valid (?)

No one's opinion is any more, or less, valid than any others.

shockabuku

Aug 5, 2009, 2:57 PM
Post #252 of 357 (3545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
Clearly. Its really more your children I'm worried about. I get the whole fuck the man, blah blah, rules are for breaking 12 year old boy bs you are spewing...but some rules are grounded in REALITY.

And some are grounded in a risk averse, lack of individual responsibility attitude.

Certainly, at most crags, throwing rocks produces no effect on other people. Throwing rocks at some places at some crags is probably to be avoided. Good sense, not necessarily common sense, should be used to determine which case is at hand, not blanket rules.

dingus

Aug 5, 2009, 3:11 PM
Post #253 of 357 (3528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
dingus wrote:
Tell you what - when the screamers STFU and the spraylords stfu and the betamasters stuf then they've a case against loud children.

But not until then.

DMT

All opinions are valid. Its just some are more valid than others. I shouldn't have to tell YOU that haha.

DMT

dingus

Aug 5, 2009, 3:11 PM
Post #254 of 357 (3524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
j_ung wrote:
dingus wrote:

But not until then.

DMT

That's PC crap!

DMT

karmiclimber

Aug 5, 2009, 3:13 PM
Post #255 of 357 (3518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not provoked by your attempted provocation. Throwing rocks at the crag is unethical. It is unspoken climber law to not throw rocks. Same as...don't step on the rope, don't foist your beta on climbers who don't ask for it, pee downhill, off trail, don't set up topropes on every climb in sight and not pull your ropes if other climbers come into the area. You CAN do it...but you will be regarded as a shithead if you do.

reno

Aug 5, 2009, 3:17 PM
Post #256 of 357 (3509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
j_ung wrote:
dingus wrote:

But not until then.

DMT

All opinions are valid. Its just some are more valid than others.

(This post was edited by reno on Aug 5, 2009, 3:17 PM)
Attachments: Animal farm.jpg (33.1 KB)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 5, 2009, 3:18 PM
Post #257 of 357 (3506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m a craptastic parent who’s kids are trying to make the FBI watch list before they hit 10 yrs old. Not really, I just didn’t want to start another one of the “my kids are good” subject (even though they are).

I wanted to take Dingus’ point and go one further…

Those moms were demonstrating some awesome parenting. Who cares if they annoy anyone else? Pull that stick out of your ass and relax. Let ‘em scream. Let them cry. Let them throw all the rocks they want. Oohhhh. They might ruin your experience. So? Grow a bigger set of ear plugs. Don’t worry about those kids getting hurt. Unless you are some tightly wound numnuts member of a rescue squad, let ‘em get hurt. Let them throw that rock at each other. Who cares?

The OP troll was projecting his expectations of how a parent should act onto others. Probably even projecting how his parents treated him and called that “right” and now wants everyone else should behave in that manner. Get over it. If that had been a bunch of 21 year olds with beer, screamin’, yellin’, throwin rocks at each other and passing beer back and forth while their hottie girlfriends climbed, the OP would have strolled over to see what all the fun was about. The OP shoulda done the same with the kids. Who know, he might have gotten cookies and a bj.

Same with a restaurant: Let the kids scream, let them wander all over. If you also got out of your tightly would “I must be repressed” mindset you would see that life is much better if you look to join the fun instead of hearing the noise.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 5, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #258 of 357 (3504 views)
Shortcut

Re: Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the "rock throwing" got a little out of hand...maybe it's a slow news day here on rc.

Nobody in their right mind thinks it's okay to be throwing rocks where the chance to hit someone from above (or pelt them on the side from a short distance) is okay.

The kids in this instance are like 4 years old! Do you think any rock they have picked up is:
- bigger than a quarter?
- able to be put a distance greater than 3 feet?
- that if the kids were throwing that AT a human, or on the edge of a cliff, a climber mom wouldn't be on it?

The thing is, with kids(from what I understand) - you can't sweat the small stuff. If you had to tell a kid "no" for every possible transgression they were making throughout a day, you might as well just tape a loop of "No's!" and let it play continuously.

The "rocks are okay!" posts are generally made either in jest or else with a perspective in mind(ie; dude trundles football size rock off top of cliff in Wind River - BAD, 3 year old overhands a chunk of dirt that has a few pebbles in it 3 feet(tops) and shin level - KID who will be a kid.

For something funny, check out this illustrated film from Jeremy Collins/Timmy O'Neill "A Brief Biased History of Big Wall Climbing" Link: http://www.timmyoneill.com/video/HistBWclimb.html

On an aside - OP has logged in and not posted to his little masterpiece since his last one. Guess he's just sitting back and laughing at the train wreck. Or sobered up and realized what an ass he came off as. Or is busily pecking away at the Mother Of ALL Replies.... Or something

budman

Aug 5, 2009, 3:29 PM
Post #259 of 357 (3496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OH MY! Anger issues.

snowboardercolo

Aug 5, 2009, 3:39 PM
Post #260 of 357 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually a girl in SUV took me out of climbing for a year; T boned at 55. So just getting back into the 10s.

The NOOB comment stands, he says he is rated on 11s but sending 9s WTF? What 11 climber do you know wants to be around 9s unless he is breaking in a new belayer?
He is a tool Laugh

shockabuku

Aug 5, 2009, 3:40 PM
Post #261 of 357 (3484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
j_ung wrote:
dingus wrote:

But not until then.

DMT

That's PC crap!

DMT

Well, I suppose your opinion is worth more the more people you agree with just because majority rules (usually). But in this venue, we're all equally worthless.

shockabuku

Aug 5, 2009, 3:41 PM
Post #262 of 357 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
I'm not provoked by your attempted provocation. Throwing rocks at the crag is unethical. It is unspoken climber law to not throw rocks. Same as...don't step on the rope, don't foist your beta on climbers who don't ask for it, pee downhill, off trail, don't set up topropes on every climb in sight and not pull your ropes if other climbers come into the area. You CAN do it...but you will be regarded as a shithead if you do.

Apparently we hold with different ethics.

dingus

Aug 5, 2009, 3:42 PM
Post #263 of 357 (3474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No. Agreement is irrevevant. Its all about influence and power.

Example: my opinion is not equivalent to the opinion of the CEO of my company.

My opinion on rc.com is not equivalent to jungs.

These are simple facts.

I'm not objecting to them either. Its just the nature of opinion.

DMT

jakedatc

Aug 5, 2009, 3:47 PM
Post #264 of 357 (3463 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
The kids in this instance are like 4 years old! Do you think any rock they have picked up is:
- bigger than a quarter?
- able to be put a distance greater than 3 feet?
- that if the kids were throwing that AT a human, or on the edge of a cliff, a climber mom wouldn't be on it?

The thing is, with kids(from what I understand) - you can't sweat the small stuff. If you had to tell a kid "no" for every possible transgression they were making throughout a day, you might as well just tape a loop of "No's!" and let it play continuously.

OR if you tell them NO in a way that they understand you actually mean it they won't repeat it.

Clearly your experience with children is limited. kids try and can lift things much bigger than you think. I've seen kids similar sized to the ones in that picture carrying rocks the size of a large nalgene bottle over their head. I've seen similar rocks that size being nudged off the trail above where that picture was taken and ended up 2-300 yards down hill. It doesn't always take throwing to get things moving at a dangerous speed.

The parents let their kid fall 5 feet down a rocky trail.. do you think they are really skilled enough to prevent anything? highly unlikely. (btw the trail leading up to that flat area that it seems likely the kid fell is like a staircase made of rocks.. )

Partner camhead

Aug 5, 2009, 3:59 PM
Post #265 of 357 (3434 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

On an aside - OP has logged in and not posted to his little masterpiece since his last one. Guess he's just sitting back and laughing at the train wreck. Or sobered up and realized what an ass he came off as. Or is busily pecking away at the Mother Of ALL Replies.... Or something

You seem rather obsessed on the OP being a troll... IT'S YOU, ISN'T IT??!!!!

BANZ HAPPIEGRILL NOOOW!

wjca

Aug 5, 2009, 4:31 PM
Post #266 of 357 (3418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:

The OP troll was projecting his expectations of how a parent should act onto others. Probably even projecting how his parents treated him and called that “right” and now wants everyone else should behave in that manner. Get over it. If that had been a bunch of 21 year olds with beer, screamin’, yellin’, throwin rocks at each other and passing beer back and forth while their hottie girlfriends climbed, the OP would have strolled over to see what all the fun was about. The OP shoulda done the same with the kids. Who know, he might have gotten cookies and a bj.

Finishing a good day at your local crag with a cookie and a blowjob from a hot MILF...very much worth putting up with a couple of kids chucking some rocks. Keep your mind and eyes open for opportunities like these. You know the whole door being shut and a window being opened thing.

HeatAttack

Aug 5, 2009, 4:34 PM
Post #267 of 357 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is really a mute discussion anyway.. Now that the government has decided that the carbon foot print of a new child over its life time has to much of an impact on the environment. So we wont be allowed to have children anymore. Just wait 5-10 years for the current kids to grow up and shabamo problem solved.

wonderwoman

Aug 5, 2009, 4:47 PM
Post #268 of 357 (3401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HeatAttack] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HeatAttack wrote:
This is really a mute discussion anyway..

Just because we're conversing over the internet, doesn't mean we're mute!

kriso9tails

Aug 5, 2009, 5:13 PM
Post #269 of 357 (3375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
HeatAttack wrote:
This is really a mute discussion anyway..

Just because we're conversing over the internet, doesn't mean we're mute!

I'd certainly hope not. Someone has to speak up against our shabamo problem! Wait, wtf? Shabamo problem?

spanishbombs

Aug 5, 2009, 5:16 PM
Post #270 of 357 (3370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That said, I fear that some of the points are falling on deft ears.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 5, 2009, 5:32 PM
Post #271 of 357 (3354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spanishbombs] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, hopefully those ears are deft enough to avoid any rocks that might be thrown their way by a delinquent in the making 3 year old!

bobbj22

Aug 5, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #272 of 357 (3350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climberguy2011] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Next time bring static rope and tie the kids to a tree so they can't test gravity on the trail...and maybe some tape for the screaming. Better yet, bring an airhorn and honk your way to silence. If they don't leave, at least you won't be able to hear them. Sly

JasonsDrivingForce

Aug 5, 2009, 8:19 PM
Post #273 of 357 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [subantz] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

subantz wrote:
Swearing does make you look kools. I dont like or dislike kids, but would rather not be around them climbing. Simply because swear sometimes, Ok alot, and the last thing I want to hear is," HEY watch your mouth there are kids here." Like I give a shit. I usually tell parents in this case. I am not going to watch what I say I am not in court or church. Like you would find me in church anyways. They usually pack up. If the kids are a real pain just swear like you have torrets. If the parents yell at you Yell back. Show those little fuckers that you have a freedom of speech and you intend on exercising your right. This thould help fuel your fireAngelic

What is crazy is that there are still some states that have laws against swearing in front of women and children.

The other day a guy was spewing out curse words because he couldn’t make the second hold on the auto belay at the gym. I turned to my 5 year old and said don’t repeat a single f@cking word that idiot f@cking @sshole is saying. (in jest of course)Wink

I simply just walked my son over to another section of the gym. Problem solved.

JasonsDrivingForce

Aug 5, 2009, 8:44 PM
Post #274 of 357 (3286 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
I totally agree. As a single mom of a 3 1/2 year old, I would not dream of taking my child on a climbing trip. To the gym? Yes. On a camping trip? Yes. Hiking? Yup.
I would not take her on a climbing trip (yet) because its not the place for a toddler, for numerous reasons:
1. I can't keep an eye on her and concentrate on climbing/belaying...both of those things would need my undivided attention.
2. What if something happens to me or my partner and one of us is injured?
3. Snakes, poison ivy, crag dogs, edges of cliffs...etc
4. What if she starts harassing other climbers who are trying to belay or climb?
Honestly, the whole thing sounds like a mess to me. But when she is older and I do take her, you damn well better believe she will not be running around, screaming and acting all crazy like.

At what age do you think it is appropriate to take the kids climbing or camping? 3.5 seems young to me as well. However, once they are in kindergarten I think they learn to respect authority more.

kriso9tails

Aug 5, 2009, 9:25 PM
Post #275 of 357 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JasonsDrivingForce] Leave your damn kids at home [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JasonsDrivingForce wrote:
At what age do you think it is appropriate to take the kids climbing or camping? 3.5 seems young to me as well. However, once they are in kindergarten I think they learn to respect authority more.

i) Doesn't her post say that she would take her child on a camping trip?

ii) I thought I'd save her some time since she seems like cool people (and I already asked that, but her answer is now buried in the middle of the thread):

karmiclimber wrote:
I don't have an age in mind. I'm thinking six or seven...but I'll be watching her for the maturity that would be necessary for a climbing trip. Every child is different...some are ready sooner, some later. I will probably be asking my doctor also...I'm thinking in terms of, if the worst happens (she gets bitten by a copperhead and there is a 30 minute hike out...) will she be able to tolerate it like an adult. Could she get hurt/bitten by a snake, etc, playing outside? Well, yes, but its far more unlikely and the hospital is a couple minutes ride in the car down the road. To me, its using common sense as a parent. That said, I don't judge...other people are in different situations and their children are different. To me, parenting comes first, because it was a decision of responsibility that I made. Climbing has to come second...that doesn't mean I don't want to expose my daughter to climbing...which is why I take her to the gym. I might take her to a place like the Columns in Eugene Oregon (drive up crag, zero approach, easy access to hospital), but other than that, no. My own thoughts as a parent.

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook